Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

EIM at the R4TH2 -- 12-15 May 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EIM at the R4TH2 -- 12-15 May 2011

There is preliminary information in another thread but it is somewhat buried, and we could use a dedicated location for down-the-road purposes like planning rendezvous, routes, etc. So by popular demand (and because a certain purple MINI owner told me to get off my butt and get a thread going ) here it is.

The basics:
1. This will be the third year that EIM has participated in the High Plains Motoring Society (HPMS) May motoring event. The Run for the Hills 2 (R4TH2) will take us back out to the beautiful Black Hills area of South Dakota for lots of great MINI motoring and sightseeing.

2. The organizers from the MINI5280 club have established a dedicated web blog with lots of detailed information on the event. If you'd like access, send a PM to either jsouz or pauhana here on NAM with your request. Alternatively, you can contact me and I'll give you what you need to know.

3. The bulk of us plan to motor out together on Thursday, 12 May and do our return trip on Sunday, 15 May. In between, the possibilities are endless.

3. Most of us are staying together as a group at the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson in Rapid City. There is/was a limited number of rooms blocked off at a reduced rate for the MINI group (800-888-ALEX (ask for Room Reservations and use code ”High Plains Motoring Society”)).

4. At this point in time, this is who I think is coming...

05MINI
deanman
densan57
Gil-galad
lapshoffman
smieska
Smokin' Jo
sdbryant
FiremanMike
D3M0N
bsteig
judy&jimb
Cantslowdown

...however, this list might not get updated promptly, so if you can please click on the following link to go to our Event Calendar entry:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...2011-5-12&c=21

and click on the "I'm planning to attend" link at the bottom. That way we can maintain a dynamic list of attendees.

5. Two years ago we motored west on I-90 and took the time to go through The Badlands on Thursday afternoon on our way to the hotel. This worked out great but prevented us from joining some of the other MINIs on Thursday who stopped at Carhenge in Alliance, NE. Not sure if anything like that will occur again, but in any event be thinking about your route preferences!

6. Post up here with any questions. That's all I can think of for now.
Ciao!

Last edited by Gil-galad; 05-05-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pretty sure I didn't exactly say "get off your butt"! However, I really appreciate it

Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 AM
Miah34
3rd Gear
I wish I could attend this event but we have a wedding in Clinton that weekend.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
deanman
5th Gear
I'm glad you got off your butt and got this posted, Gary!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Gil-galad
Just sent an email to known participants with some route ideas attached. Yeah, the anticipation is fun too.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
For those that were at the 1st R4TH...
I know you guys took lots of pictures. Are there any memorable photo op spots that you'd like to return to or new spots to try? Ofcourse I'm thinking of one...MINIs in front Mt. Rushmore in the background. There has to be an ideal location for that one.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM
deanman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Smokin' Jo
. Are there any memorable photo op spots that you'd like to return to or new spots to try? Ofcourse I'm thinking of one...MINIs in front Mt. Rushmore in the background. .
Some of the shots in the Badlands were spectacular. I really like the buffalo crossing in front of the MINIs. Rob's video of the MINIs driving on the twisties was great. Gary getting cozy with the barmaid was very exciting. I could go on and on. Any pictures with the funnest bunch of MINI people in the Midwest is always a keeper

Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Gil-galad
For those that were at the 1st R4TH...
I know you guys took lots of pictures. Are there any memorable photo op spots that you'd like to return to or new spots to try? Of course I'm thinking of one...MINIs in front Mt. Rushmore in the background. There has to be an ideal location for that one.
deanman does not exaggerate...the opportunities seem to present themselves every time you round a corner. FWIW, I understand from the organizers that the entire HPMS group will likely head back to the top floor of the parking structure at Mt. Rushmore for a full group photo op. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this happened on Friday morning followed by a semi-organized drive on Iron Mtn Road (US-16A) just east of the park. (Check this road out on your computer...Mapquest is better than Google Maps in the normal map view, but the latter will let you take a virtual "drive" in Street View--corkscrews and all.)

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Gil-galad
Okay, we had near consensus on the email responses so here's the planned May 12th route for the EIM group that wants to caravan while headed west (very similar to our 2009 route):

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/data/500/CR_to_RC_Final.png

I figure folks can organize predecessor rendezvous points prior to the Blue Earth, MN rest stop at 11:30 am per their personal desires. As I recall, a smaller group gathered in IA City and then joined up with a larger gaggle of MINIs near Waterloo. I'll look to deanman or 05MINI to organize this earlier hook-up near Waterloo.

As for me, I'll be heading up US-52 to Preston, MN then west to catch I-90 at Dexter. Seems like our timing was so good last time that I stumbled across the main group along I-90 even before reaching Blue Earth.

Let's plan to make the loop through the Badlands on the way in. We discovered that the late afternoon sun makes for some stunning sights.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 AM
Gil-galad
A reminder from jsouz over in the MINI5280 forum for anyone else thinking about joining our gaggle -- if you have not already RSVP'd for rooms at Historic Hotel Alex Johnson in Rapid City, the room block set aside for all of the MINI folks closes TODAY. It doesn't mean that you cannot get a room, just that those at the set aside rate will no longer be available.

The drive agenda now includes a Group Pic at Mt. Rushmore, Hot Rod Institute visit, and a picture for the local Chamber and Newspaper. 40+ MINIs and counting.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Cantslowdown
2nd Gear
I get to go I get to go I get to go!!

now all I have to do i find a hotel, pack, decide which route to take and what to do while we are up there!

mel

Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by Cantslowdown
I get to go I get to go I get to go!!

now all I have to do i find a hotel, pack, decide which route to take and what to do while we are up there!

mel
Awesome. Welcome to the party!

Even thought the block of rooms at the Historic Hotel AJ is past expiry, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. They probably have other rooms available and you might be able to sweet-talk them into a comparable rate.

Atomic #47 is starting out from your general location...you might check with them to see what they're planning route-wise. The map for our main group is in the link three posts prior to this one.

If you want some idea of the fun, check out the pictures (<-link) from our trip out there two years ago for the inaugural R4TH.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:10 PM
deanman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cantslowdown
decide what to do while we are up there!
Don't spend too much time deciding what to do. Every minute will be a great adventure with your MINI and MINI friends! Get ready for a very fun time I'm glad you can join in the big adventure!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
D3m0N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am really hoping all works out for me this is the have to do event of the year...

Mini will be back tomorrow and lots of new parts to play with, only need 2 new tires and I will be set.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:31 AM
Gil-galad
Two weeks from today we'll be admiring all of our MINIs together with George, Tom, Teddy, and Abe.

I think I'll start packing.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Two weeks from today we'll be admiring all of our MINIs together with George, Tom, Teddy, and Abe.

I think I'll start packing.
Yikes! Just two weeks? I am so ashamed to admit I have not had a chance/good enough weather to give Gozer a proper bath I have a full slate of personal/family obligations the next two weekends (them dang kids!) I may have to take an afternoon off work because I cannot go on this trip with winter smucky, yucky on my baby. I put on the EBC Red low dust brakes and haven't yet cleaned the wheels to know if they actually do reduce the dust

Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 AM
deanman
5th Gear
"Yikes," is right! All that MINI fun is right around the corner. Before we know it, a very fine caravan of EIM MINIs will be headin' down the 'ol wagon trail

P.S.
Linda, did you pick up one of those "candy" MINIs?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by deanman

P.S.
Linda, did you pick up one of those "candy" MINIs?
Sadly I did not find them at my Wal-Mart

Gozer and I are really looking forward to this trip-we haven't seen you and Leo since November!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
I myself am setting aside Friday, May 6th for a day of clay-bar and detailing (rain or shine).
So what is the meet up place and time in Cedar Rapids on 5/12/11?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 AM
deanman
5th Gear
So what is the meet up place and time in Cedar Rapids on 5/12/11?
I'm workin' on that right now with Larry, Jo. Details to follow

Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 PM
deanman
5th Gear
Leaving Cedar Rapids

Gearing up for the trip to the Black Hills. The Cedar Rapids MINIs will leave at 7:30 am on Thursday, May 12. Join us at Casey’s General Store, which is just off I380 at the Boyson Exit, Exit 25. Hopefully, we can hook up with other MINIs at McDonalds at 350 Evansdale Dr. in Elk Run Heights, IA, Exit 68, just before Waterloo. We’ll leave McDonalds at 8:30 and arrive at the Blue Earth stop at 11:30 to join more MINIs! If you want to PM me, we can exchange phone numbers. Gary probably has the master phone list, but we might need to be in touch before we meet up with him.

See you in two weeks.

Yippeeee!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by deanman
Gary probably has the master phone list...
I think I have most of the cell phone numbers you'll need. I'll send them to you directly so you'll have 'em as a starting point. I'll also make a master list of the whole group to have and share once we get out there.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:04 PM
deanman
5th Gear
Haunted???

I was not informed that the hotel was haunted when I booked my room!
http://www.haunted-places-to-go.com/...son-hotel.html

Old 05-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
wow how interesting.
Just to be safe I'll pack an extra bag:
1 crucifix
1 stake
1 mallet
2 vials of Holy Water
1 Revolver w/silver bullets
1 Clove Garlic
and
1 Ghostbuster Proton Pack, if anyone else brings theirs remember not to cross the streams.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Gil-galad
Sounds like she's fairly benevolent. Maybe as friendly as Casper.

It will be way cool if we get some rooms on the 8th floor.

Quick Reply: EIM at the R4TH2 -- 12-15 May 2011