North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Eastern Iowa MINIs (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/eastern-iowa-minis-246/)
-   -   EIM at the 2010 HPMS R4TO (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/eastern-iowa-minis/182191-eim-at-the-2010-hpms-r4to.html)

Gil-galad 01-26-2010 02:57 PM

EIM at the 2010 HPMS R4TO

I'm kicking off this information and planning thread for the benefit of the EIM folks who are planning to attend the High Plains Motoring Society (HPMS) Run for the Ozarks (R4TO). This event is being held on the surrounding roads and in the northwest Arkansas town of Harrison, AR from 13-16 May 2010 (the first and last of these days include transit time).

Let's use this thread to coordinate travel plans among the EIM attendees. As of the date of this posting, we have firm commitments from deanman, 05MINI, densan57, and Gil-galad. I believe D3m0N's participation is tentative at this point.

For EIMers who are interested in this event, please send me a PM and I'll point you to additional details. The designated block of hotel rooms is going fast so early commitments are a good thing if you're interested in taking advantage.

Our contingent of MINIs had a fantastic time at this event last year, when it was held in and around the Black Hills area. If you want a taste of the fun times, check out the 200+ pictures in the photo gallery on our website: EIM at HPMS Black Hills

Motor on to R4TO, and...

Sooo-weee Pig! http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squ...razorback2.png

deanman 01-27-2010 04:47 AM

I wanna start packing!

Gil-galad 01-27-2010 11:50 AM

FYI, here are my current travel plans. I will drive from Decorah to Washington and spend Wednesday evening (5/12) at my Mom's place (so I don't have to get up with the roosters on Thursday). I'll probably leave from there for the trip south about 8 am Thursday morning (5/13). The route I've mapped out takes me down US-218 and US-61 west of Hannibal, then down MO-H, MO-19, and US-54 to Camdenton, picking up I-44 in Lebanon and taking it to Springfield, then US-65 south from there through Branson and right on into Harrison. Looks like ~7 hours including stops.

I plan to reverse the same route home starting Sunday morning (5/16) and will likely bivouac that evening in Washington again before completing the trip home to Decorah on Monday morning.

I have reservations at the 1929 Hotel Seville for all three nights during R4TO. I think there are a couple of car wash options not too far away...:grin:

My brother, who lives in Springdale, plans to ride along as my navigator on either Friday or Saturday depending on when he is available. On that particular day, I'll probably make a early morning trip over to pick him up and be back in time to join up with a group drive. Though not firm, that day will also probably end with our stopping at a restaurant over towards the Springdale/Rogers area, and I'll be welcoming along any of you EIM mates who'd like to join us.

I'm looking forward to fun times. :nod:

deanman 01-28-2010 03:12 PM

I just got a room at the host hotel Yeah!

deanman 02-02-2010 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This wasn't my first choice, but copyright issues got in the way :cry:

I'm pleased with my second choice, however :)

Gil-galad 02-03-2010 06:54 AM

Looks great to me. :thumbsup: I think everyone will greatly appreciate your initiative on this -- I know I do. :nod:

Will you be posting a link to the provider (CafePress?) on the HPMS R4TO Google Groups page?

deanman 02-03-2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gil-galad (Post 2973137)
Looks great to me. :thumbsup: I think everyone will greatly appreciate your initiative on this -- I know I do. :nod:

Will you be posting a link to the provider (CafePress?) on the HPMS R4TO Google Groups page?

I thought of posting it, but I really am hoping for the "official" logo to be posted. I don't want folks to think this is it. I still may post it, however. I dunno. Thank you!

bsteig 02-08-2010 01:37 PM

Bill and I are hoping to go too!

I made hotel reservations but still have not been able to see any information for what is planned once we get there. It sounds like a good trip for the convertible!

Gil-galad 02-08-2010 02:56 PM

Alyce, I'm still at a loss as the reason you are unable to access the Google Groups page that has the R4TO info. When I tried to send you another e-invitation, it refused and sent back a note saying that your "...@uiowa.edu" address was already part of the group.

In the meantime, maybe I'll see if I can create some PDFs of some of the info pages and email them to you.

srmitch2 03-10-2010 11:52 AM

Could you send info for R4TO to PM please? We are wanting to see further info.

Gil-galad 03-10-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by srmitch2 (Post 3002426)
Could you send info for R4TO to PM please? We are wanting to see further info.

It's on the way...

Smokin' Jo 03-11-2010 07:47 AM

I want to go sooo bad. can i still go even if its last minute? and i mean last minute.

Gil-galad 03-11-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Smokin' Jo (Post 3003155)
I want to go sooo bad. can i still go even if its last minute? and i mean last minute.

Absolutely. The only drawback I can think of is the inability to take advantage of prearranged lodging arrangements...and if you decide at the 11th hour you'll have that challenge to deal with anyway.

deanman 03-11-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Smokin' Jo (Post 3003155)

Yes, please come along! We need a few more fun people from our EIM group!

Daryl

Gil-galad 03-19-2010 07:43 AM

Here's the latest and greatest I have on expected EIM R4TO participation:

Commitments-
bsteig
deanman
densan57
Gil-galad
05MINI

Tentative-
D3m0N
srmitch2

Considering it-
Smokin' Jo

As your travel plans firm up, consider sharing them in this thread (mine in Post #3 are still valid). I'd be up for being part of an EIM convoy with anyone interested.

Looks like a fun group!

05MINI 03-19-2010 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gil-galad (Post 2967449)
FYI, here are my current travel plans. I will drive from Decorah to Washington and spend Wednesday evening (5/12) at my Mom's place (so I don't have to get up with the roosters on Thursday). I'll probably leave from there for the trip south about 8 am Thursday morning (5/13). The route I've mapped out takes me down US-218 and US-61 west of Hannibal, then down MO-H, MO-19, and US-54 to Camdenton, picking up I-44 in Lebanon and taking it to Springfield, then US-65 south from there through Branson and right on into Harrison. Looks like ~7 hours including stops.

I think we will try to meet up with the EIM group somewhere along the way. It would be tough for us to meet up in Washington by 8:00am. Perhaps we can meet in Missouri. Maybe Lebanon. I will map quest it and estimate our arrival time.

deanman 03-19-2010 11:09 AM

I want to hook up with someone, too. I could meet up with Gary in Washington, but I'm open to other options, too. We're gonna have a heck of a fun time! We'll get the adrenaline goin' next month already during the Borader Skirmish. Almost nonstop MINI fun :cool: :thumbsup:

Gil-galad 03-22-2010 02:31 PM

I'm also open to adjusting my departure time(s) if it makes them more compatible with others' plans...:nod:

oldsbear 03-27-2010 01:07 PM

It looks like Maria and I will be doing the R4TO, assuming that we can connect with the organizing group and make reservations.

deanman 03-27-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldsbear (Post 3015801)
It looks like Maria and I will be doing the R4TO.

That's great news! We'll have a super fun time.

05MINI 03-28-2010 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Gil-galad (Post 3011864)
I'm also open to adjusting my departure time(s) if it makes them more compatible with others' plans...:nod:

If you could shift your departure time from Washington to 8:30 I think we could meet up there. Google maps tells me it is a 3 hour drive from here to Washington.

Gil-galad 03-28-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 05MINI (Post 3016179)
If you could shift your departure time from Washington to 8:30 I think we could meet up there. Google maps tells me it is a 3 hour drive from here to Washington.

That's still an awfully early start for you. How about a 9:30 am hook up at the US-218 exit in Ainsworth? There is a BP on the northwest side of the interchange, allowing you the opportunity for a pit stop and a stretch prior to heading out from there.

deanman 03-28-2010 03:59 PM

I'd like to meet you at the Ainsworth stop, too! That will be half of our Black Hills group!

05MINI 03-28-2010 05:48 PM

Does 9:30 get us to Arkansas early enough? Google maps is telling me it is only 2 1/2 hours to Ainsworth so we could easily be there by 9:00.

Gil-galad 03-28-2010 07:26 PM

Sounds like a good compromise. We'll make it 9:00 am. :thumbsup: That should get us to Harrison with plenty of daylight left.