North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   E-Mini (2020+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/e-mini-2020-455/)
-   -   E-Mini Car Stops Charging (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/e-mini-2020/365384-car-stops-charging.html)

VicSkimmr 07-14-2023 01:40 PM

Car Stops Charging

Has anyone else run into an issue with their SE not sending a signal to their charger? Mine keeps cutting off and on and I can't figure out why. I will go out in the evening and my charger says "waiting for signal from car" and when I open the car door, it immediately resumes charging. Looking at the history, it cuts on and charges about 2kwh, then off for a while, then back on, then off. There have been a couple of days where I'll get in in the morning and it's at like a 70% charge, which is no bueno for my commute.

Fcassells 07-16-2023 09:54 AM

Haven’t seen that on mine yet, maybe check the wall charger for issues related to corrosion, dirt, or grounding that may cause the j1772 connection to drop. I’ve seen high temp cutoff from my Tesla charger (with adaptor) I use when in direct sunlight a couple of times.

VicSkimmr 07-18-2023 05:26 PM

It doesn't appear to be the wall charger, that all looks normal and it's practically brand new. When I unplug it from the charger and plug it back in, nothing. But if I open the car door it "wakes" back up and starts charging again. I guess I'll contact MINI and see what they say.

VicSkimmr 07-19-2023 08:59 AM

Charger company recommended setting it to "reduced" capacity charging, they think maybe the charger is overheating and shutting down periodically. So I'll try that!

VicSkimmr 07-19-2023 05:48 PM

That appears to have fixed it, in case anyone else comes across this!

Nuff 07-21-2023 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by VicSkimmr (Post 4656682)
Charger company recommended setting it to "reduced" capacity charging, they think maybe the charger is overheating and shutting down periodically. So I'll try that!

Interesting. Not sure how opening your car door affects this. That suggest that it's related to the Mini and not the charger.

I'm sure this is frustrating for you!

eMINIman 07-26-2023 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by VicSkimmr (Post 4656682)

Originally Posted by VicSkimmr (Post 4656732)
That appears to have fixed it, in case anyone else comes across this!

Please tell us what brand of EVSE (the actual charger is in the car) overheats? You will be doing a service to other forum members who might unfortunately choose this brand.

Judging from the problem and the manufacturer's response, I'm assuming your EVSE is not UL-approved and would worry about any non-UL-approved EVSE having the potential to burn down my garage.

As a first diagnostic, you should try the EVSE that came with your MINI Cooper SE or another EVSE.