Anyone interested in a stand alone ECU for a big turbo upgrade?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:01 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by masterd78
If you upgrade the turbo, you are going to need a tune to go with it. Hence the reason nobody over here in the U.S. has a turbo upgrade done on their car correctly, yet. I have noticed that JSC Speed has a new turbo kit out, but once again tuning is the issue.

That's not exactly what I meant.

RMW said "
this will allow you to unhook the stand alone and hook back up the factory ecu anytime you want."

He said that you could take the stand alone computer out and use the stock one all the time running the bigger turbo still.

So my question is.....

If I bought the kit and installed the bigger turbo and standalone computer and then had to take the car back to the dealer... If I understand what RMW said, I could put my factory ecu back in and drive it.

So though my JCW tune will not be adequate to run the larger turbo (to it's maximum performance) , it will allow me to at least drive the car without CEL's?

Did this make sense?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 04-11-2009, 06:33 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I gotcha. That is a good question. I'd like to know this also. Sorry I misunderstood ya.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:24 PM
apudapus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by belacyrf
1. REAL TIME TUNING - The ability to adjust the tune with the car running and see/feel changes immediately
2. Ability to support Speed Density & MAF based vehicles
3. Wideband support (preferably with the Bosch wideband and not the $200 NGK unit (though it's more accurate)
4. As granular ignition / fuel mapping as possible (50 RPM increments minimum)
5. Ability to control low impedance injectors.
6. Wideband "closed loop" support (not a high priority but kinda cool to have)
7. Support for multiple maps (preferably stored on-board)
^^^ I like all of these. Perhaps the ability to add additional sensors like an EGT, boost pressure, etc. This is all starting to sound like an AEM stand-alone. A lot of people are getting excited over this but it's very difficult and expensive to get a stand-alone ECU running right. If the MINI is your daily driver (like mine is), I wouldn't recommend this over a reflash of the ECU. At least with a reflash you are only changing the open-loop fuel mapping and you get to keep all of the functions and controls for cold-start, idle, high speed cruising, etc.

Any screen shots of the software since it is as important as the ECU itself? How will you interface the ECU, is it through USB or serial connection? Thanks!

Old 04-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apudapus
^^^ I like all of these. Perhaps the ability to add additional sensors like an EGT, boost pressure, etc. This is all starting to sound like an AEM stand-alone. A lot of people are getting excited over this but it's very difficult and expensive to get a stand-alone ECU running right. If the MINI is your daily driver (like mine is), I wouldn't recommend this over a reflash of the ECU. At least with a reflash you are only changing the open-loop fuel mapping and you get to keep all of the functions and controls for cold-start, idle, high speed cruising, etc.

Any screen shots of the software since it is as important as the ECU itself? How will you interface the ECU, is it through USB or serial connection? Thanks!
we won't be releasing screen shots until everything is completed

it will have the capability to do all of the things above but the AEM won't be able to run the electronic throttle body

Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM
apudapus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
we won't be releasing screen shots until everything is completed
That's understandable. Will you have a good gauge display? It'd be nice to buy a 7" LCD display to put next to the tachometer (or anywhere else) and hook it up to a CarPC/netbook/laptop running the software so you can see boost, coolant temp, A/F, etc. while you drive.

Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
it will have the capability to do all of the things above but the AEM won't be able to run the electronic throttle body
Good to hear. Keep up the good work.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Is a custom ecu any different than a custom tune? i'm still new to this. i've heard GREAT things about Jan, and 243hp mini S's and stuff, but wouldn't a custom tune optimize for all ranges, etc?

Not playing devils advocate, i'm just a n00b and dont know.

Jeff

Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 AM
apudapus
1st Gear
A custom tune is on an OEM ECU. The hardware comes from the factory and is catered to a specific car. A custom tune is basically changing the software that runs on the OEM hardware.

A custom ECU or stand alone ECU is brand new hardware that can basically run on any vehicle and engine: 4-cylinder to 8-cylinder, MAF or MAP, all open loop or all closed loop, etc.

A custom tune is what 98% of performance enthusiasts need. A stand alone ECU is for someone that needs to squeeze out as much power as possible, for someone willing to pay to do lots and lots of tuning, for a vehicle that isn't someone's main source of transportation.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:03 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Also... there are "hard" limitations of how much the OEM ECUs can be adapted via tuning - basically what you're doing is modifying "maps" of data that the OEM programming uses to do what it does - which works well as long as you're within any design constraints imposed by the ECU. Simple example, an OEM ECU may have some hard limits on how much boost can be accommodated - so going beyond that limit may require a standalone ECU.

There are other things standalones can do, like control methanol injection, nitrous, use wideband sensors for AFR control, etc.

But, as has been said, the VAST majority of modders do NOT need the headaches that likely come with a standalone... with a "closed" ECU like the MINIs, the programmer of the standalone must reverse engineer all the stuff related to running the gauges, other sensors and systems that the ECU talks to, etc. How successful do you think they will be at making EVERYTHING work right?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:55 AM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Just curious what happened to this......so....BUMP!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by tattedXB
Just curious what happened to this......so....BUMP!

you going to the dragon?

there are at least 3 kits out there that are being developed.........I'm only tuning them

Old 05-22-2010, 09:28 PM
selimsaim
Neutral
hey everyone.. im new here, i just purchased a 2004 mini cooper s. i want to get around 300 hp out of it.. also i want it very dependable.. what steps do i need to take.. thanks

Old 05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by selimsaim
hey everyone.. im new here, i just purchased a 2004 mini cooper s. i want to get around 300 hp out of it.. also i want it very dependable.. what steps do i need to take.. thanks
You might want to start in the 1st gen forum and use the search option. Then talk to one of these guys Nevermind the media ***** on the podium!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 AM
selimsaim
Neutral
thank you i will try that

Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
vincent4243
Banned
Well I really do not care about the JCW mapping since with a larger turbo it is useless. What I care about is not have a unichip setup that can not be removed when problems arise.How are you planning on "replacing" the stock ECU.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:10 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by walker935
Sounds like a winner here! How do you think a turbo enhancement will work with the JCW stage 1 programing.Thanks
there are still tuning issues to work out, but it's getting there. The stand alone will bypass this

Originally Posted by selimsaim
our rotrex kit has run 300+ hp for quite some time without issues. Contact Longboard if you want more info about how it is for daily driving.

Originally Posted by vincent4243
Well I really do not care about the JCW mapping since with a larger turbo it is useless. What I care about is not have a unichip setup that can not be removed when problems arise.How are you planning on "replacing" the stock ECU.

this stand alone will have it's own wiring harness and use the stock ecu to only run the dash. all you have to do is unplug it and the stock ecu will run the car again

Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 PM
scoott271
Neutral
I would definately be interested. I love my Mini to death but honestly I need way more power. I poke around in the r53 forums and see big horsepower Mini's and I just wish I had an option for a good tune if I wanted to go with a bigger turbo. I stopped modding my car and now im gonna sit back and wait for a good Tune and big turbo kit to come out.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM
doramide7
Neutral
Originally Posted by com3tojo3
I would definately be interested. I love my Mini to death but honestly I need waaaay more power. I poke around in the r53 forums and see big horsepower Mini's and I just wish I had an option for a good tune if I wanted to go with a bigger turbo. I stopped modding my car and now im gonna sit back and wait for a good Tune and big turbo kit to come out.
Sounds like a winner here! How do you think a turbo enhancement will work with the JCW stage 1 programing? I just paid $2500 for that installed and I hate to throw it down the drain so soon.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:17 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JWest
Any updates on this?
There already is a standalone out on the market for the R53.
1320 autos in the UK developed a plug and play unit with a company called Tour De Force (TDF) in Kimbolton, England.

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f292...00/#post272936

A little birdy told me that the R56 stand alone is in development

Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 PM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Will there be a SA ECU for the CMS?

Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 AM
Minionymous
2nd Gear
Is this still alive?