Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ? for those that have knowlege of a 'going bad' motor mount...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:06 AM
saakey
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? for those that have knowlege of a 'going bad' motor mount...

Okay, so just the other day I notice this clunky kind of sound while driving...and I immediately thought my struts were going bad…. But then I noticed while at a standstill (idle), there is more of a clicking/tapping kind of sound- almost like it was coming from the glove box… but it wasn’t in there. So i've ruled out the struts at this point. I also thought maybe the sound was my valves tapping obnoxiously… so I got out of the car to listen closer to the engine…but that too yielded nothing unusual. It seems that I can only get the sensation while seated inside the car. I can recall reading somewhere that checking the motor mounts usually is the giveaway – which I’m now leaning towards as being the culprit. But I don’t see anything leaking. My question is, would I for sure see some liquid around the motor mount? Or have people had theirs go bad and never any other sign except the sound? Also I have only checked the top mount… again, only because I’ve heard this is usually the one giving people problems. Any help would be appreciated.
Other notes to point out..I don’t hear it right away..car has to be drivin for a bit first. Thanks

Old 09-13-2006, 06:15 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
i have been having this EXACT problem - word for word! it just started about a week ago. i brought the car in and the dealer said the strut bolt (or something like that was loose) and claimed to have tightened it. for the life of me though i still hear it. i think its the motor mount as well - but no goo coming out of anything i can see yet either...

anyone with more on this?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:10 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Sounds like me too. I have an appt next week and part of it is to get the mouter mount checked.

I have several noises in my car that will be addressed at my next service.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:16 AM
saakey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by newyorkcitymini
i have been having this EXACT problem - word for word! it just started about a week ago. i brought the car in and the dealer said the strut bolt (or something like that was loose) and claimed to have tightened it. for the life of me though i still hear it. i think its the motor mount as well - but no goo coming out of anything i can see yet either...

anyone with more on this?
Interesting that you bring that up...My car just had its strut bearings (top rubber mounts) replaced due to them ripping. I wonder if they left something loose down there ... But you say this didn't fix your issue?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by saakey
Interesting that you bring that up...My car just had its strut bearings (top rubber mounts) replaced due to them ripping. I wonder if they left something loose down there ... But you say this didn't fix your issue?
not 100 percent fixed - i still hear it.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Finemedic
1st Gear
I had rattle/rumble comming from the glove box/right side. I took it to Cincinnati Mini and the Nate ( he is a great guy) the head mechanic drove it and thought it was bad mount. Replaced it. Problem fixed! He said there is a service bulletin on the motor mounts. Mine was not leaking...

Old 09-15-2006, 05:06 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
i'm going in saturday morning to have mine swapped.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:36 AM
saakey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Finemedic
I had rattle/rumble comming from the glove box/right side. I took it to Cincinnati Mini and the Nate ( he is a great guy) the head mechanic drove it and thought it was bad mount. Replaced it. Problem fixed! He said there is a service bulletin on the motor mounts. Mine was not leaking...
Thanks - that's got to be my issue then...mine is going in on Monday. Was it the usual, upper left (if you are looking at the motor) mount they replaced?

Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Finemedic
1st Gear
Yup!

Old 09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
passenger side motor mount replaced this morning - problem solved - happy motoring!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:09 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
passenger side motor mount replaced this morning - problem solved - happy motoring!
Good to hear. My car goes in Wednesday and the motor mount is one thing on the list.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:00 PM
saakey
5th Gear
Sweet...dropped my car off on Monday and got it back Tuesday (today)- with new front mount and no noise .