Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Exhaust help

Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exhaust help

Hey guys, was hoping to get a little insight on my current exhaust setup.

So currently i'm running a Megan racing header, with a vibrant 200cell count metal core cat. Matched up to that I have a modified Invidia cat back, which simply has the center resonator deleted. Now my biggest complaint with this setup is that around 3800-4200 RPM the exhaust gets quite raspy, and almost honda feeling / sounding (to me). Is this a header issue? Would a different header fix this problem? Would a 4-2-1 change the note, or is this the sad world of a 4 banger with headers?

Old 11-16-2017, 03:25 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,706 Likes on 1,375 Posts
The sound is because you removed the resonator.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 AM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
The sound is because you removed the resonator.
Prior to the resonator being taken out it was the same way, just not as loud.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The thing with headers is trying to find somebody in your area that has what you are thinking of putting on. I tried to find somebody in my area with a RMW Shorty Header mated to a JCW exhaust. People sent me videos but for me I wanted to here the thing while cruising in the car. Did not happen. I will try again during MOTD.

I am wondering if the resonance you are getting is a combination of the header and the cat-back.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:09 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Honestly, I'm thinking it's an exhaust issue, not a header issue.
At least that's been my experience when it comes to a metallic raspy sound.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:16 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
The thing with headers is trying to find somebody in your area that has what you are thinking of putting on. I tried to find somebody in my area with a RMW Shorty Header mated to a JCW exhaust. People sent me videos but for me I wanted to here the thing while cruising in the car. Did not happen. I will try again during MOTD.

I am wondering if the resonance you are getting is a combination of the header and the cat-back.
I wish I could help more than to say that it does sound excellent in my opinion, best way I can describe it is tight and crisp.
Don't know if it will help but here's s link to a write up I did several years back, while its a comparison, it will better describe my overall thoughts:
www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/216123-my-header-swap-expierience.html
Sorry about the PhotoBucket carp, I still haven't had time to transfer everything to another site.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:34 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Does the Mynes require permanent removal of the heat sheild?

Old 11-19-2017, 10:57 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Does the Mynes require permanent removal of the heat sheild?
No, all the OEM heat shields stay in place.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
Has anyone first hand heard the differences between a 4-2-1 style, and a 4-1 style? Is there much of a difference at all, that could possibly be my solution?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
I'm going to guess that your problem is not header related.

You are in Eastern PA right? There's got to be enough people on PhillyMINI that you could solicit for exhaust sound comparisons until you find something you like.

The best 4 cylinder exhaust I've ever heard is the Roadstersport 3 for NA and NB Miatas. I had one with the stock manifold (4-1) and a Racing Beat (4-2-1).
The sound wasn't much different, if anything I remember it being quieter/less harsh with the 4-2-1.

If I could get an exhaust for the Mini that sounds like this, I'd buy it immediately. Perfect volume, perfect tone.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:36 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86

You are in Eastern PA right? There's got to be enough people on PhillyMINI that you could solicit for exhaust sound comparisons until you find something you like.

The best 4 cylinder exhaust I've ever heard is the Roadstersport 3 for NA and NB Miatas. I had one with the stock manifold (4-1) and a Racing Beat (4-2-1).
The sound wasn't much different, if anything I remember it being quieter/less harsh with the 4-2-1.

If I could get an exhaust for the Mini that sounds like this, I'd buy it immediately. Perfect volume, perfect tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic9eQX1FJW0

Have you listened to the Borla Sport exhaust, mine sounds just like this, just with more pops and gurgles. Very throaty......

Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Yupoong
2nd Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic9eQX1FJW0
Hm interesting.. Was planning on swapping to a 4-2-1 with a milltek rear section, and fabricating the mid pipe to fit to save a few bucks, but sounds like I shouldn't mess with another header then.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:05 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Have you listened to the Borla Sport exhaust, mine sounds just like this, just with more pops and gurgles. Very throaty......
Interesting, most of the videos I've watched makes both Borlas seem too quiet for my taste. I'll have to try and find one in person.

Originally Posted by Yupoong
Hm interesting.. Was planning on swapping to a 4-2-1 with a milltek rear section, and fabricating the mid pipe to fit to save a few bucks, but sounds like I shouldn't mess with another header then.
I wouldn't swap the header, I don't think it would make much difference in sound. The cat-back is going to be where you see the difference.

If the Invidia is too loud for your liking, it might be right up my alley. Let's make a deal when you swap your exhaust, I've been itching for something louder than the JCW exhaust.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:23 AM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
Whenever I do swap out, I'll notify you, but do understand the mid pipe would not be sold with, only the rear section

Old 11-21-2017, 06:17 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yupoong
Whenever I do swap out, I'll notify you, but do understand the mid pipe would not be sold with, only the rear section
I figured, I'm in Lancaster so I can't be that far away from you.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Interesting, most of the videos I've watched makes both Borlas seem too quiet for my taste. I'll have to try and find one in person.

I wouldn't swap the header, I don't think it would make much difference in sound. The cat-back is going to be where you see the difference.

If the Invidia is too loud for your liking, it might be right up my alley. Let's make a deal when you swap your exhaust, I've been itching for something louder than the JCW exhaust.
Funny you should say that, when I was looking for a new exhaust, I listened to videos and thought the same thing, but I also read a lot of reviews and decided to pull the plug anyway, best choice ever. You should see the double takes I get sitting next to Mustang GT's when they hear the sound coming from Scarlet. It's very deep and throaty. That video you posted sounded really good and if it had the pops I would have thought it was a Mini with the Borla on it....

Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Funny you should say that, when I was looking for a new exhaust, I listened to videos and thought the same thing, but I also read a lot of reviews and decided to pull the plug anyway, best choice ever. You should see the double takes I get sitting next to Mustang GT's when they hear the sound coming from Scarlet. It's very deep and throaty. That video you posted sounded really good and if it had the pops I would have thought it was a Mini with the Borla on it....
Interesting, it's good to hear you had the same experience. I was pretty much just accepting I wasn't going to find an exhaust I like.

Really, the bottom line is I'm way too cheap to buy an exhaust new. I'll get something when I find it used and it's loud enough for my taste. I came from the Miata world, I spent $150 on my used RoadsterSport exhaust for my NA. $800-$900 for an exhaust is just WAY too much. Even the Invidia is $650 new. I have a buddy who runs a performance shop in the Philly area and even having him assemble a Chinese Ebay exhaust is more than I want to spend.

Search this Thread