Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain VEMS stand alone ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VEMS stand alone ECU

Have anyone fitted this to their MINI or late model BMW? This is what I feel is the best hope we MINI owners have for a complete stand alone ECU w/o paying insane $ for a Motec unit.

For those of you who never heard of this, basically an open source project, similiar to the Megasquirtr but much more potential. To give you an idea, integrated boost control, wideband and EGT support, knock sensors and this is the best feature, you can even set the boost to different lvls depending on the gear selection by putting switches in the shifter mechanism. All this is just tip of the iceberg as they say.

Extremely promising unit with only downfall being how to deal w/ the electronic throttle. There does seem to be some work on it, but there doesn't seem to be a clear word on the issue.

Oh and of course, the link
http://megasquirtavr.sourceforge.net...tro.About.html

If nobody's running this anyone want to be a guinea pig? Or do I have to be the one to do this in a few months...either way I'm GIDDY:impatient

EDIT: Here's a link to their own website with webstore. Basically Genboard 3.3 runs for $600 USD.
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?pa...ard%2FVerThree

And I forgot the best part. The ECU accepts bosch type sensors which are pretty standard, so no sensors need to be replaced! Have to deal w/ the harness though, but nothing major

Old 03-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds cool!

The really hard stuff, is integrating the ABS/DSC/Traction Control..... and things like the immobilizer.....

Matt

Old 03-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
The really hard stuff, is integrating the ABS/DSC/Traction Control..... and things like the immobilizer.....

Matt
They actually have their own version of immobilizer. Works very similiar to like the comfot access system. Just wave a stick in front of the sensor and bam, immobilizer disabled!

But yeah integrating traction control is going to be difficult, but I believe it can be done. There's a few papers on it...and the genboard is constantly updated since it's open source. Perhaps and hopefully by the time I do this, they'd have implemented traction control and electronic throttle