Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain NEW Stuff At ALTA (again)

Old 04-01-2011, 03:04 PM
ALTA_JOHNL
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW Stuff At ALTA (again)

We are bringing back many of our popular R53 Cooper S parts.
Click on each one to check it out in more detail.

Availalbe NOW

Intercooler Air Diverter $149.99 MSRP
Cool Your Intercooler!
Good looks and functional too.
Made of aluminum with a wrinkle black powder coat finish for a long life of high performance, good looks and durability.

Box Top For Your ALTA Cold Air Intake $49.99 MSRP
Seal Up Your Intake!
Reduce intake noise and seal up your ALTA CAI with the Air Box Top.
Made of aluminum with a wrinkle black powder coat finish for a long life of high performance, good looks and durability.

Coming Soon
17% Supercharger Pulley
Light Bar
And More..................

Go To www.ALTAperformance.com to see all the cool parts we have for your MINI.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM
ALTA_JOHNL
Former Vendor
Let Us Know What Products You Would Like To See

Last edited by ALTA_JOHNL; 04-01-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Longboard110
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA_JOHNL
Let Us Know What Products You Would Like To See

PSRS that dont rattle

Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM
ALTA_JOHNL
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Longboard110
PSRS that dont rattle
We might have something a little less hardcore in mind. I'll find out on Monday where those thoughts are

Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
s00perc00per
2nd Gear
a light bar that doesnt rust to the point of no return... that and a short throw...

Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 AM
jaridp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_JOHNL
We might have something a little less hardcore in mind. I'll find out on Monday where those thoughts are
+1 I like the hardcore PSRS but would love changeable inserts or something?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 AM
take2
1st Gear
I wanna see a light bar! Hopefully it wont cost to much though...

Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
mini44
4th Gear
Are you getting more coloured intake hoses for manual?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Hey John. Just re-installed an ALTA CAI !

Here are my impressions.

For the last 5 years I have used several different intakes in my R53. Three different intercoolers including the stock unit, M7's and the GP's which I have now with a DDM Diverter.

I even installed a radio temp tranmitter in an airbox to record the temps inside the box while in real world driving, stop and go traffic. I also run with a ScanguageII.

I just figure if I am going to post up stuff, at least I should do my own T&E (testing and evaluation).

So let me preface this by stating first off, that ALTA's V2 CAI IS a CAI by definition and functionality. It is also very well made, and the hardware is top notch. It utilizes the OEM airbox base, and yes while there is a tiny slit opening there at the bottom where the two parts meet as some have purported, it is sealed with a rubber trim piece and happy with the fitment. I also like your system of air filtration. These filter "socks" are relatively inexpensive to replace, and easy to clean/re-oil.

So curious about CAI's and air temps, I ran your V2 several years ago with the top and documented my intake numbers in all sorts of weather and driving conditions. I have also ran the JCW box for the last two+ years your JCW replacemet filter, but while only recording the data off of the ScanguageII observing the post intercooler air temps. I just had no room for the temp transmitter in the box. I liked the addition of the Alta Foam filter in this box providing more air and more SC sound which we all like very much. For those who have not used one yet, and like the JCW box, I highly recommend it.

The JCW Air Box is only connected to the cowl area and front air intake duct so by most folks definiton here, it's a true CAI. It's best average numbers I recorded were 15-18 degrees of post IC temps. Now, while I did see lower numbers on occasion depending on ambient temps, and while driving in the rain, in cooler weather. I attributed those latter figures to denser air and maybe some rain water vapor evaporating off the IC. ( The Palo Uber Bonnet Scoop sucks up everything including cigarette butts and all sorts of road debris )

I also ran my own version of a water sprayer for the IC too using the washer system for the rear wiper since I have the rear wiper delete, but now run a CRYO2 spray unit on my IC with a small tank in the boot. So short of a meth kit, I have experimented with this stuff for a bit and take air temps seriously.

Anyways, lastnight I installed the V2 Alta CAI. First one I had was purchased new but let her go for the JCW box. But I recently grabbed one up from a NAM'r who had it for only a month up until they totalled their MINI. Sad because I don't think he will get back into another one any time soon. But I did get a wonderful deal on an almost brand new system with an extra black filter and Alta's silicon intake tube to boot with free shipping.

Anyhow, the reason for the switch was that I just installed a Magnaflow exhaust, and while the exhaust note is much deeper, throatier than the JCW's (it's not for the sheepish) It was not balanced well with that of the sound coming from the JCW air box ( even with flapper and plug delete style too so it was wide open 24/7 with the cowl).

While I have now only driven some 50 miles yesterday on highway and some traffic, I imediately noticed a smoother running engine while receiving post intercooler temps ALWAYS below 13 degrees and down to 9 degrees above ambient temps. Now that is cold ! I also noticed that the engine is breathing better than before and less erratic idle.

The Magnaflow pipe bore is larger than that of the JCW exhaust I removed few weeks back, and IMO the engine easily wanted / needed more air. I also seemed to noticed that the exhaust had less drone on the highway. Maybe the increased of air volume now being "pumped" has evened out some changed the frequency of the flow ?

I also noticed that the throttle is not as touchy coming into and off of 1st gear. I had a bit of a yo-yo even with the DT BPV and that has also seemed to be smoothed out. It could be with the addition of the updated supercharger, DT BPV, JCW software and the 1st Gen Throttle Booster ( no adjustment) the wider pipes of the Magnaflow, more air was needed.

So IMHO, The Alta V2 registers numbers to put it into the ranks of a true and awesome CAI. And while I may have only gained 8+ degree drop of post intercooler air temp between the two intake systems, I am very very happy with the switch so far for my particular set up/mods and the engine just runs so much smoother.

Thanks John !

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 02-05-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the excellent write up Gray Raven. I have a Alta CAI 2.0 on my work bench now, still debating putting it on or going JCW. I think your post has made me decide to at least put it on before I make the call....

Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Here was one post in my log from 4-28-09. Subsequent postings had the the same results.

11:05 AM -Sunny.
Outside temp 65*f

Drove 56 miles most of which was on interstate.

Internal airbox temp 68* the entire trip.

Parked on asphault parking lot for 45 minutes.

12:41PM - Temp in airbox had risen to 110*f. ( along with everything else under the bonnet )

12:56PM - Temp in airbox had fallen to 69*

This Alta box had the cover, no bottom rubber strip to fill in that gap, and still had the OEM engine bonnet blanket installed.

My only concerns at that point was heatsoak from sitting. But IMO all the other engine bay parts, plastic and otherwise had to have been just as hot. So the actual construction of the box makes little or no difference in the real world numbers. And soon after getting underway the air in the box was back to normal operating temps...

Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM
evanbear_mini
1st Gear
I would like to see a sillicone fresh air tube. I have a stock one that someone removed the air baffels, then covered them with electrical tape. I know somebody made one at one time because I have seen a carbon fiber one with no baffels.