Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 2013 MCS N18 Boostvalve.com installation help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 07:48 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 MCS N18 Boostvalve.com installation help

i have a 2013 R56 S LCI with a JCW turbo and an RPM Stage 3 tune, and i can only get the system not NOT overboost bast 21psi if i back off the waste gate so much it literally feels like i am choking the engine. 16 turns of the nut to be exact.
The system just feels like its able to make more but i am choking it with the wastegate.
right now i have the wastegate actuator at 14 turns of the nut, technically top dead center and i am overboosting to 21-23psi causing flutter choppy boost and the recirculating valve to blow off, like rapid fire boost release at said overboost
This is mostly in sport mode, normal mode will usually hit the 21psi and maintain it.

I also have the BSH boost tap installed so i can get direct boost reading from the intake for my boost gauge.
luckily it comes with 2 boost tap holes...
ok i will use the 2nd tap for this boostvalve,,, ok its going to be very hard and still not sure if the 2nd hole isn’t being blocked already by the intake plumbing,,,,gunna look.
but wth am i supposed to do with the stock vacuum line going to the vacuum actuator for the wastegate?? Plug it?

so come out of the BSH boost tap, into the boostvale.com regulator, and out to the wastegate actuator then dial in th wastegate from there?
If so how is this any different than using the nut on the actuator arm to increase/decrease wastegate movement?
it isn’t..
alternately i think i could also buy an inexpensive boost tap and tap into the stock boost sensor location since it is also using the intake to measure intake boost and use that for the boostvalve. - plus its super easy to get to.

but i just dont know, can anyone who has installed the boostvalve.com regulator chime in and help me understand exactly where i am supposed to tap into, and how the plumbing goes.

are you able tell where/how this installs?

Last edited by cyberlunacy; 07-11-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:28 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
How does it run without boostvalve.com “controller” installed?

Old 07-12-2019, 04:42 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
How does it run without boostvalve.com “controller” installed?
Well that depends on how much of this i got suckered in to a stage 3 story you want

overboosts and choppy my experience with this rpm tune is a polar opposite of everyone else and mario is zero help and even hornswoggled me into said stage 3 because it was “more work to code a stage 2 with jcw turbo than just using the stage 3” i never should have done it

unless i crank the wastegate to 16 turns of the nut. Then it doesnt but the engine just feels restricted which it is because its not pushing as much boost through the intake.
system is generating more boost than is being used

i know the boostvalve will do the same thing but is able to fine tune it way better and without having to mess with the wastegate positioning the hard way.
hopefully to the point where i will have that happy medium

Last edited by cyberlunacy; 07-12-2019 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:47 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by cyberlunacy
...unless i crank the wastegate to 16 turns of the nut. Then it doesnt but the engine just feels restricted which it is because its not pushing as much boost through the intake....
"crank the wastegate to 16 turns" means nothing. If the wastegate needs to be adjusted, make sure its adjusted correctly. Also, if you are overboosting, doesn't matter how the engine feels, need to get that taken care of.

Here are a couple of references on testing and adjusting the wastegate:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...te_Testing.htm
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-settings.html

Once the wastegate is adjusted correctly, I would run without the boostvalve. If you are still having issues, I would get in touch with Mario again before trying to install the boostvalve thing.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
this is about getting help installing that boost adapter.
16 turns means nothing? it means everything,, its adjusting the wastegate on the turbo to make the wastegate operate properly. and then going from there. 12~16 turns is ok, outside of that is outside of any normal spec for the mini wastegate.
14 is factory preload but as always variances in manufacturing, engines, and tunes will make you adjust the wastegate more or less.

overboosting when adding a larger turbo is pretty common on tuned engines, be it Mini or Honda, or otherwise, the extra boost needs dumped or restricted.
if i stay in normal mode (not sport i am usually good) but sport mode gets all freaky on me for some unknown reason. something no one i have spoke with or mechanics can figure out. but all agree in sport mode the system is trying to boost "more" (i use that word carefully), harder and faster.
everything, normal, or boost, standard or larger turbo, everything is designed to get you to boost level right now, as fast as it can.
im just trying to figure out why it is doing that,,, and more, i need to be able to restrict it, and the boostvalve can do that in 30 seconds of an adjsutment, where if i keep fracking with the wastegate, i am wasting an entire day everytime,, 1 hour to adjust, then several hours of cool down time before i can get my hands in there again.

Last edited by cyberlunacy; 07-13-2019 at 11:02 AM.