North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain How can I remove a busted supercharger pulley (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/339684-how-can-i-remove-a-busted-supercharger-pulley.html)

brusk 06-11-2019 10:35 AM

How can I remove a busted supercharger pulley

Went to swap pulleys today, crank went good and got to the supercharger pulley. Either its a JCW pulley or the S tool I bought wasn't very good cause now I got a busted up pulley. Anybody seen this, common solutions to get the pulley off now? I even used the chain/visegrip tool to cinch it down tight.

cooper48 06-11-2019 12:55 PM

Heat on the pulley to expand it.

brusk 06-11-2019 01:10 PM

wish I would have done that first. But heating up the supercharger worried me.

brusk 06-11-2019 04:29 PM

well heat was a bad idea. plastic gued out the center of the supercharger shaft. Hopefully that was only plug covering a threaded hole to get a pulley on. Guess I'll have to order a JCW pulley puller and have the car sit another week waiting for parts.

A383Wing 06-11-2019 04:48 PM

JCW pulleys are smaller than stock S units....the standard pulley remover will not work....you will need the JCW puller.....what I did with mine was I installed the puller, then put a large enough worm gear hose clamp around the puller and the pulley and made it tight.....I never would trust just using the puller alone, my opinion

Bryan

brusk 06-11-2019 08:08 PM

I didn't use the puller alone, I used one of those chain vise grip tools around it. Saw a guy on youtube do it that way but yeah using the wrong puller was a bad idea. Unfortunately the stupid thing is so difficult to get to to properly measure I wasn't sure which pulley it had. In the end I cut it off so got the new one on now. They don't mess around when they put those things on.

WayMotorWorks 06-11-2019 09:49 PM

Post some pics and we can tell you if it's a JCW or what.
And if you need a JCW puller we have them in stock and ship same day so you can have it in 2-3 days.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/john-c...uller-r53.html

Minibeagle 06-12-2019 04:45 AM

Some people end up cutting them off with an angle grinder... very carefully. I never did this myself but others have.

pnwR53S 06-12-2019 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by brusk (Post 4475385)
well heat was a bad idea. plastic gued out the center of the supercharger shaft. Hopefully that was only plug covering a threaded hole to get a pulley on. Guess I'll have to order a JCW pulley puller and have the car sit another week waiting for parts.

You need to use discretion on these forums who's advice to follow. I hope for your sake you didn't damage the shaft seal. What did you use to heat it? Oxy acetylene cutting torch? :eek2:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...0dfe13f6b3.jpg

brusk 06-12-2019 09:49 PM

I did use a cutting torch, on very low setting and heating evenly but only heating very little. The crank fell on at 350 degrees. When the SC pulley didn't even budge at slight heat I stopped, it actually started spewing plastic after I stopped. It still rotates smooth and the seal looks good. No I didn't use and angle grinder I actually like an old thread of using a body air saw to cut both side and a chisel. That seem to loosen it without a single ding in the shaft where it fell off with ease.

Biggest problem with my setup is it was a low milegage JCW with a similar mileage S engine swapped in by the dealer. Just seemed to real that they would have swapped every part over properly. But unfortunately they did even though I was only seeing about 12 PSI. Pulleys, BPV and seals later well wee where she stands now.

veedubpat 06-14-2019 10:29 AM

Get a dremel and carefully remove material until the pulley separates from the snout. You're already at the point of no return, so just be careful, move slow, and avoid nicking the snout itself during removal.

brusk 06-14-2019 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by veedubpat (Post 4476072)
Get a dremel and carefully remove material until the pulley separates from the snout. You're already at the point of no return, so just be careful, move slow, and avoid nicking the snout itself during removal.

Was buried in the previous comment, but followed another threads solutions of using an air body saw and cutting through opposite sides. Worked pretty good and only took about 15 minutes without even nicking the shaft.

pnwR53S 06-14-2019 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by brusk (Post 4476090)
Was buried in the previous comment, but followed another threads solutions of using an air body saw and cutting through opposite sides. Worked pretty good and only took about 15 minutes without even nicking the shaft.

An abrasive cutting wheel on a 4" grinder would be what I would use and same with Nik Blackhurst my hero. :thumbsup:

Living near CravenSpeed I saved myself a trip to the ER. :lol: CravenSpeed customer support is top notch. :thumbsup: