North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-434/)
-   -   Drivetrain Evolve, Bytetronik or Manic (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/339624-evolve-bytetronik-or-manic.html)

6FT6 06-08-2019 09:42 PM

Evolve, Bytetronik or Manic

Trying to decide on which stage 1 tune to go with. Want to maintain reliability as it will be driven once in a while.
Edit: It’s an automatic tranny.

What do you guys suggest, mods currently are:

Eventuri intake
Forge IC
Magnaflow Axleback
Dinan sport (will be removed with tune)

TA

Darbys2019MiniJCW 06-09-2019 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by 6FT6 (Post 4474774)
Trying to decide on which stage 1 tune to go with. Want to maintain reliability as it will be driven once in a while.

What do you guys suggest, mods currently are:

Eventuri intake
Forge IC
Magnaflow Axleback
Dinan sport (will be removed with tune)

TA

WaveTrac LSD...puts the power down which is the most important IMO

Warren2185 06-09-2019 06:31 AM

I know my response won't help with your decision, but I just ordered the Stage 1 from Evolve. I have a stock 2019 JCW 3dr hardtop with automatic transmission (so it's de-tuned a little from the manual transmission map). The OBD adapter is on it's way. I emailed them about not wanting exhaust pops and not an aggressive throttle map either. They responded right away saying they can't eliminate the pops, but they are the same as how the stock map behaves. They say their throttle is designed to be nicely linear. So it sounded good to me.

The questions comes up if once they can crack the ECU to be able to re-write the map, if the three you mentioned are running the same software anyway. I find that hard to believe and would think they'd have their own maps, but no way I'd know that answer anyway. It seems there isn't as much traction for the gen 3 ecu tune as with the gen 2. The various websites with the info and reviews isn't as updated so I went with Evolve because they seem pretty prolific with BMW tunes in general on their YouTube channel. So as you can tell my research wasn't very scientific.

I had a Manic Stage 2 tune on my 2008 Mini Cooper S and loved that from start to finish, Never a single issue. I see you're pulling the Dinan Sport. It seems to me to make more sense, for longevity as well, to have the ECU set the fuel, boost and timing parameters to a specific and desired input that are completely under the control by way of throttle input than a piggy-back tricking boost and hoping the stock ECU map (which I'm guessing they can't actually read) makes the right corrections for those other parameters. But lots of people love the Dinans. Hope you post your results and opinion of the ECU tune once it's done.

6FT6 06-09-2019 07:34 AM

Fantastic response Warren2185. I forgot to mention that it’s an automatic as well.

johntotah94 06-09-2019 10:30 AM

I loved Manic on my R56. Super flawless for me on Stage 3.

BT, Evolve, Dervtech, all use the same software for loading file purposes. Their maps are calibrated by their own tuners and can be tweaked to your needs.

Manic, unfortunately, you you need to drive to a dealer to get it loaded. Or ship ECU.

MrGrumpy 06-09-2019 03:25 PM

Don’t forget about RPM either. Very happy with it. Talk to Mariokart he does Manic and RPM

6FT6 06-09-2019 08:33 PM

So Manic may be out since I’ll have to ship the ecu. Read a dope review of RPM by johntotah94, would love to try it out.

MrGrumpy 06-09-2019 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 6FT6 (Post 4474977)
So Manic may be out since I’ll have to ship the ecu. Read a dope review of RPM by johntotah94, would love to try it out.

Mariopalza@gmail.com shoot him a message. He has the option to use a power gate, so you don’t have to ship your ECU

I only have had the RPM tune on my R60, but I know a few people who have gone from Manic or another tune to RPM and they are quite happy with it.

vetsvette 06-09-2019 09:50 PM

I'm happy with my OBD flashed Stage 1 tune from Bytetronik.

6FT6 06-09-2019 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by MrGrumpy (Post 4474985)
Mariopalza@gmail.com shoot him a message. He has the option to use a power gate, so you don’t have to ship your ECU

I only have had the RPM tune on my R60, but I know a few people who have gone from Manic or another tune to RPM and they are quite happy with it.

Thank you sir

RLM 06-11-2019 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MrGrumpy (Post 4474985)

Be wary of RPM tuning. I know a couple from our local club are extremely unimpressed with the tune and the service. one member had to send off his ecu multiple times and it is still not running right. one ecu was fried as well. I have seen some good reviews, I have seen some terrible reviews. all in IMHO, not worth risking your engine over, plus the gains are nowhere near what other tuners are capable of doing with no issue. Personally I am leaning towards having a remote tune done by Dervtech. they seem to know what they are doing with these engines, are very competitively priced, and I've been unable to find one negative review on them.

All up to you though.

6FT6 06-11-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by RLM (Post 4475316)
Be wary of RPM tuning. I know a couple from our local club are extremely unimpressed with the tune and the service. one member had to send off his ecu multiple times and it is still not running right. one ecu was fried as well. I have seen some good reviews, I have seen some terrible reviews. all in IMHO, not worth risking your engine over, plus the gains are nowhere near what other tuners are capable of doing with no issue. Personally I am leaning towards having a remote tune done by Dervtech. they seem to know what they are doing with these engines, are very competitively priced, and I've been unable to find one negative review on them.

All up to you though.

Man thank you for that honest reply. I’m doing my due diligence with this, so all the information received will be taken seriously.