North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-434/)
-   -   Drivetrain Dinan Elite on 19 F56 - CEL (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/339094-dinan-elite-on-19-f56-cel.html)

sdbryant 05-20-2019 10:29 AM

Dinan Elite on 19 F56 - CEL

Could not get rid of a CEL code on our F56. Worked with Dinan support, tried two different units and harnesses with no luck. No choice but to return it and review other possibilities.

Mini_Vinnie 05-20-2019 11:09 AM

Can't help if we don't know what the code is :)

sdbryant 05-20-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4470769)
Can't help if we don't know what the code is :)

Actually, given up on help, just making a general statement while I package it up for a return trip to ECS.
I think it was something like
130F11 exhaust camshaft, plausibility: pattern invalid

Mini_Vinnie 05-20-2019 01:07 PM

TIme to get a @Bytetronik ECU flash now! you won't stop smiling

cmt52663 05-20-2019 05:23 PM

Did the bypass allow the car to pass OEM diagnostics?

Cheers,

Charlie

sdbryant 05-21-2019 07:12 AM

Bypass

Originally Posted by cmt52663 (Post 4470870)
Did the bypass allow the car to pass OEM diagnostics?

Cheers,

Charlie

Yes, the harness did not seem to be the issue. The code cleared with the bypass plugged in.
Steve

wcpfour 10-15-2019 02:01 PM

About to go down this rabbit hole myself. Elite has been on the car for four months with zero issues then all of a sudden pops up the CEL, codes for absolute pressure plausability, one too high, one too low, and a couple of super knock codes for injection cut off or shutdown...

Indie garage that did my alignment pulled the codes and cleared them for me, but the CEL popped back on a day later. Installed the dummy plug, and voila! CEL cleared itself in 24 hours and a few drive cycles.

Sent a contact request to Dinan, but no reply yet. Can really feel the difference now that it's running stock again and I don't like it. I miss that little bit of extra power. Disappointed in Dinan on this one. For so many of us to have had these issues. They used to be such a reputable group.

wcpfour 11-01-2019 09:09 AM

Update to my version of this saga....

After plugging in the bypass, the CEL cleared. I decided to test the whole thing again and plugged in the Dinan box again. It took a full day and over 100 miles, but the light returned. I did not pull codes at this time. I did plug in the bypass again, and this time the CEL stayed on. Last thing I could check was the Dinan harness, so I took it off completely and returned all three plugs back to direct, stock connections. Took a few drive cycles, but the light cleared. Wanting to be 100% sure, I went ahead and took it in for the dealership to have it checked. Fully disclosed that I had the tuner installed when the light came on. They diagnosed it and found that the primary DME module is faulty and they will be replacing under warranty as they could not see any direct correlation between the tuner and the internal fault in the DME.

I would have expected less of an issue both on the Dinan side and on the MINI side of this whole thing. My thoughts about continuing to modify this car are now gone, and I'll be leaving it stock from now on. It either goes back at the end of the lease or I trade / sell or let someone assume the lease. If anyone wants a used Dinan Elite tuner, it will be on the classifieds soon, and cheap.

BTW, I submitted a request through the Dinan website, included the fault codes and all of the pertinent details. two weeks ago when this all happened, and never got a response...

Yupetc 11-01-2019 11:05 AM

I'm also collecting info on the tunes for the F56 S. So far the whole Dinan piggyback just sucks ballz. I think by the time I'm ready, I should be hitting up Mario again for that RPM tune. Or maybe drive up to Austin to get that Bytetronik tune.

Minnie.the.Moocher 11-01-2019 12:18 PM

I have a Dinan Elite and love it. No problems at all. However since they sold out, the support has been awful from my readings. I have contacted them a few times for some info and they were responsive but these were not product failure issues.

If you don't get a response from website contact, how about assuming first that they have web issues and calling them. Keep calling them. If you are not someone who follows up on these things then you need to buy this kind of thing from a dealer who will install and service it as needed. I'd be on the phone daily until they fixed it or gave me the money back.

El-Grunto 11-01-2019 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by wcpfour (Post 4502049)
Update to my version of this saga....

After plugging in the bypass, the CEL cleared. I decided to test the whole thing again and plugged in the Dinan box again. It took a full day and over 100 miles, but the light returned. I did not pull codes at this time. I did plug in the bypass again, and this time the CEL stayed on. Last thing I could check was the Dinan harness, so I took it off completely and returned all three plugs back to direct, stock connections. Took a few drive cycles, but the light cleared. Wanting to be 100% sure, I went ahead and took it in for the dealership to have it checked. Fully disclosed that I had the tuner installed when the light came on. They diagnosed it and found that the primary DME module is faulty and they will be replacing under warranty as they could not see any direct correlation between the tuner and the internal fault in the DME.

I would have expected less of an issue both on the Dinan side and on the MINI side of this whole thing. My thoughts about continuing to modify this car are now gone, and I'll be leaving it stock from now on. It either goes back at the end of the lease or I trade / sell or let someone assume the lease. If anyone wants a used Dinan Elite tuner, it will be on the classifieds soon, and cheap.

BTW, I submitted a request through the Dinan website, included the fault codes and all of the pertinent details. two weeks ago when this all happened, and never got a response...

Sounds about right from my experience with the Elite on my F56 S. I've told this a few times here and in other forums and I'll keep telling it until I get my money back. Dinan and PFabrications straight up ghosted me on my refund after I mailed my Elite back and Dinan received the unit. I had endless CELs with the box installed and even with the bypass installed. It's gotta be the harness that's faulty. Took the harness off and the CEL goes away. Did an RPM tune from Mario and it's been flawless for the last 10k miles.

wcpfour 11-02-2019 12:09 PM

Between this issue and some other changes in my world, I'm pretty sure the Clubman is going to be going away soon. Going for something more comfy and luxurious for a while. Loved my R53 GP, but this one isn't as engaging even though it's a lot better on real-world roads. Going to give up on compromising my comfort and space for something that's kinda sporty but not a real sports car. The Dinan and a couple of Craven pieces might be on the classifieds soon.