North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-191/)
-   -   Drivetrain NM Power Module vs JB+ (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/336437-nm-power-module-vs-jb.html)

Phil Pankau 02-25-2019 01:37 PM

NM Power Module vs JB+

I figured I’d share my experiences with using both tuners and which one, I think is best.

i have a 2011 MCS (N18) that I have already done some mods on which include Alta intake, 2.5” straight pipe exhaust from the downpipe back to 3.5” tip, larger intercooler, rear seat delete, carbon fiber rear strut brace and a uncorked scoop.

i ran a JB+ for a few months before selling it and what I noticed is the JB+ is easy to install but really only works when you really get on the throttle. I now have NM Engineering’s Power Module for the N18 and while the price difference between the two is only $50 the difference is substantial.

I ran it for 10 minutes on 3PSI but have since flipped the switches to 5PSI (running 91 octane). The Power Module doesn’t just work when you get on the throttle as I have noticed an increase in acceleration and blow off from the turbo at lower throttle positions along with the turbo whine kicking hitting at 1/2 throttle compared to full throttle while stock/JB+

I’ve had no issues with CEL or reduced power at all and the engine handles the 5PSI switch with no adverse effects (although I think my other mods may have something to do with that)

Overal I think the NM is worth the extra money as it does more than a JB+ and gives a bigger performance boost

scotty_r56s 02-26-2019 10:25 AM

There is some good info on the NM Power Module (for the N18) in this thread.

I was an early adopter and had nothing but problems. The thing put my car into limp mode multiple times and eventually traded the NM part towards a flash tune.

Phil Pankau 02-26-2019 10:34 AM

I did read reviews on it before buying it and I was concerned with it causing issues with limp mode which is why I waited a few weeks (and was toying with the idea of getting a tune). I decided on the power module because my car has a 5yr/100k warranty and I don’t want to risk losing that with the tune.

I assumed (so far correctly) that with the mods I already have it could handle the extra boost which is correct because even though I only run 91 fuel (highest available here) it handles the 5PSI switch with no issues.

scotty_r56s 02-26-2019 10:57 AM

I was in the same warranty boat lol. And I basically had tyhe same mods at the time, larger FMIC, intake, open exhaust. Maybe NM fixed the issue after a a few people asked for refunds over the "charge pressure control, plausibility: pressure too low" error.

Good luck :thumbsup:

ECSTuning 02-27-2019 09:03 AM

They have fixed a lot of the issues from what we have seen. When it first came out it had some bugs on and off. Now things look fine. If you have an issue we are here and work closely with these guys all the time to support the MINI people. Both ECS and NM Engineering are MINI fans and enthusiast. :)

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/NM.648856/

Zachary Nguyen 04-13-2019 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4453417)
They have fixed a lot of the issues from what we have seen. When it first came out it had some bugs on and off. Now things look fine. If you have an issue we are here and work closely with these guys all the time to support the MINI people. Both ECS and NM Engineering are MINI fans and enthusiast. :)

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/NM.648856/

I think my 2c57 code I just got might be a result of installing the power module recently. There’s a bit of surging as well. Is it possible to see if I have the latest version somewhere? (I got mine off someone else but he said he only had it a few months and should still be under warranty)

MarioKart 04-13-2019 01:58 PM

I sell both the NM and Jb+ modules and it really depends what ECU version and firmware the cars have. 50% say NM is better and the other half say JB+.

Most of my customers start with a piggy back, but eventually go with a safer, smoother and way more powerful ECU tune.

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

ECSTuning 04-15-2019 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Zachary Nguyen (Post 4463227)
I think my 2c57 code I just got might be a result of installing the power module recently. There’s a bit of surging as well. Is it possible to see if I have the latest version somewhere? (I got mine off someone else but he said he only had it a few months and should still be under warranty)

Shoot me your VIN and the part# and info off the box and I will contact them for you.

Zachary Nguyen 04-15-2019 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4463590)
Shoot me your VIN and the part# and info off the box and I will contact them for you.

much appreciated, pm sent

gustnyc 11-11-2019 03:56 PM

I recently installed my jb+ today( the right way) no more CEL, I guess I was rushing the install before and didn’t let the car go in sleep mode. All I can say is wow. Much better than stock and in sport mode with the right intake you and hear the turbo spool and all the burpees... I have it set at default. I mean eventuall I’ll get a jb4 but this is good enough to get me through the winter. Very happy with burger motor sports.

ECSTuning 11-13-2019 10:14 AM

Thanks for the review.