Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Meth + tune + ???? = 230-250hp?

Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 PM
7thmoosefromtheleft
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meth + tune + ???? = 230-250hp?

Getting together my parts list. For my r56 mini n18 auto stepronic im wondering if it's even realistic to get to 230 ish hp for a reasonable price with meth and tune with out a crazy loud exaust, keeping cat and not hurting drivability and or longevity ( too much)
idk what meth kit I will go with but from what I have read Mario kart seems to be a really solid tuner.
maybe I'm dreming with these goals and if so what would be more realistic.

been searching but alot of what in reading seems to be posted 2011 when these engines were new.
My mini cooper is still a little slower than my old ion redline ( never dyno but estimated 220) . And I miss the speed:D but love the handling

Thanks
7th moose ( from the left)

Old 01-01-2019, 09:32 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Stage 1 MCS will do 205whp
stage 2 will do 230whp
add 11% for crank horsepower

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Aquamist is the best kit for the Minis, bar none. However it is pretty expensive, and you get what you pay for. About $1300 all said and done for the HFS4 kit and an R56 specific tank from Howerton.

As Mario said, Stage 1 (which can be run with completely stock components) you get just a hair over 200 whp. Beyond that you're gong to have to go catless on the downpipe at least and it's recommended you get a bigger intercooler.

My current setup with Stage 2, full catless exhaust, methanol, stock turbo makes somewhere between 230 and 240 whp.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:34 AM
7thmoosefromtheleft
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
Aquamist is the best kit for the Minis, bar none. However it is pretty expensive, and you get what you pay for. About $1300 all said and done for the HFS4 kit and an R56 specific tank from Howerton.

As Mario said, Stage 1 (which can be run with completely stock components) you get just a hair over 200 whp. Beyond that you're gong to have to go catless on the downpipe at least and it's recommended you get a bigger intercooler.

My current setup with Stage 2, full catless exhaust, methanol, stock turbo makes somewhere between 230 and 240 whp.
I dont want to switch it every year for emissions is there no way to get there with out going catless

Old 01-02-2019, 10:57 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,706 Likes on 1,375 Posts
Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft
I dont want to switch it every year for emissions is there no way to get there with out going catless
Stage 2 will get you mostly where you want to be. Stage 2 will also turn off the emissions monitors for the primary cat converter. I have a cat-less down pipe with OEM Clubman exhaust, Manic stage 2, and have passed Connecticut emissions testing.

OR, you can get an aftermarket exhaust, and add an aftermarket high-flow cat down pipe. Regardless, the stage 2 tune will have the cat monitors turned off.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:48 AM
7thmoosefromtheleft
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Stage 2 will get you mostly where you want to be. Stage 2 will also turn off the emissions monitors for the primary cat converter. I have a cat-less down pipe with OEM Clubman exhaust, Manic stage 2, and have passed Connecticut emissions testing.

OR, you can get an aftermarket exhaust, and add an aftermarket high-flow cat down pipe. Regardless, the stage 2 tune will have the cat monitors turned off.
so I guess the question is, will that ping a red flag on emissions ? In pa if it matters. At least I'm in in cali

Old 01-02-2019, 06:01 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
so I guess the question is, will that ping a red flag on emissions ? In pa if it matters. At least I'm in in cali
I've looked up PA laws before and I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. You won't have a check engine light and the monitor for the O2 sensor is set to a permanent pre-cycle state so it won't be "ready" but it also won't fail you. Most states allow one monitor not ready for state inspection.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
So does having the Aquamist actually ADD HP??
I have the Akrapovic Downpipe on my car and in Maryland they have super strict emissions and I don't want to be removing my pipe either.

Stage 2 will get you mostly where you want to be. Stage 2 will also turn off the emissions monitors for the primary cat converter. I have a cat-less down pipe with OEM Clubman exhaust, Manic stage 2, and have passed Connecticut emissions testing. OR, you can get an aftermarket exhaust, and add an aftermarket high-flow cat down pipe. Regardless, the stage 2 tune will have the cat monitors turned off.
So does the tune already have my car in READY mode allowing 1 cat monitor off will enable me to pass? I have RPM Stage 2 and trying to get the knowledge now on how to pass MD emissions without having to take off any of my mod parts.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by KCLARK
So does the tune already have my car in READY mode allowing 1 cat monitor off will enable me to pass? I have RPM Stage 2 and trying to get the knowledge now on how to pass MD emissions without having to take off any of my mod parts.
The tune will complete all monitors, except the cat efficiency monitor. The cat efficiency monitor will show as "Not Ready" or "Not Completed." As long as that monitor is the only one not checked, you should pass.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
The tune will complete all monitors, except the cat efficiency monitor. The cat efficiency monitor will show as "Not Ready" or "Not Completed." As long as that monitor is the only one not checked, you should pass.
so if I have a scan tool is there any way I can SEE this prior to going to emissions or should I clear both out for the cat and the exhaust (to be sure) then go thru emissions.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:57 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
so if I have a scan tool is there any way I can SEE this prior to going to emissions or should I clear both out for the cat and the exhaust (to be sure) then go thru emissions.
Do you have a scan tool that will let you check the emission code status? I have the Carly app and DashCommand, and both of those show the individual emission check status monitors. You need to be able to check the individual monitors to make sure all are ready, except for the one...

Old 01-09-2019, 12:42 PM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Do you have a scan tool that will let you check the emission code status? I have the Carly app and DashCommand, and both of those show the individual emission check status monitors. You need to be able to check the individual monitors to make sure all are ready, except for the one...
I think so, I have the Autel MaxiDiagElite scan tool.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:43 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Having methanol injection doesn't directly add horsepower. It will lower intake temps and allow a better burn overall but the effects on power are negligible. If you tune for methanol you can make more power over a car without it though.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Unfortunately Jeff is out of the Aquamist business these days. He still has a few bits and bobs like nozzles and things but no HFS kits and no Mini tanks anymore. So you kinda have to roll your own. Luckily, there's a lot of members that have his Mini specific installation instructions that could be shared.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:02 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Unfortunately Jeff is out of the Aquamist business these days. He still has a few bits and bobs like nozzles and things but no HFS kits and no Mini tanks anymore. So you kinda have to roll your own. Luckily, there's a lot of members that have his Mini specific installation instructions that could be shared.
Jeez. So that would explain why getting his help and getting hardware from him a little over a year ago was like pulling teeth. Glad I got mine while I could.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Squigglesr56
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody use aquamist direct they have the hfs4 v3.1 mini n18 and n14 specific kit. But not mini specific tanks i was lookin into meth and stumbled across them wen i saw the howertown site sais nla or somethin.

The following users liked this post:
andreabar88 (02-04-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:50 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Squigglesr56
Anybody use aquamist direct they have the hfs4 v3.1 mini n18 and n14 specific kit. But not mini specific tanks i was lookin into meth and stumbled across them wen i saw the howertown site sais nla or somethin.
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...1881&catid=934

This is the exact plastic tank Howerton was using in their R56 specific enclosures. The rest of the enclose would not be hard to make if you're decent with wood or metal fabrication.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:41 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Squigglesr56
I bought my HFS-3 direct from the UK, except the initial backorder time they gave, it was a petty painless process, even the replacement of a part damaged in shipping.

While not Mini specific, there are a few different options on e-bay including some pretty nice Devils Own tanks available as well.
The one I chose even had mounting provisions for the pump built right in.
The last page of my build thread has some pics of how compact the whole system ends up being:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...free-time.html

Last edited by BlwnAway; 01-26-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:12 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts

I have the Akrapovic Downpipe on my car and in Maryland they have super strict emissions and I don't want to be removing my pipe either.

If I remember correctly, when talking to Mario before he tuned my R60, the RPM tune will pass emissions no problem, because RPM’s tune will read the O2 readiness check as ready, from what I understand, Manic does not, but RPM does, so as long as there isn’t an intensive visual inspection, I think you are fine for emissions.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:19 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

If I remember correctly, when talking to Mario before he tuned my R60, the RPM tune will pass emissions no problem, because RPM’s tune will read the O2 readiness check as ready, from what I understand, Manic does not, but RPM does, so as long as there isn’t an intensive visual inspection, I think you are fine for emissions.
Yep, Mario PM'd me about this and I do have an RPM Tune Stage 2 on my car, but he said it wouldn't hurt if I still used my scan tool and clear any codes before going to get emissions done.
I was worried because sometimes my car will flash (upon start up) the yellow check engine light on the dash. Sometimes it stays there longer than other times, but eventually cuts off but I'm always wondering if the car is in READY mode or not. I swear I hate seeing it even for a second, but try to ignore it due to the software benefits it adds.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:28 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
That’s a good plan. Odd though about the CEL, I have a stage 3 RPM remap, and the only lights I get at start up are the normal ones that briefly appear only when you first start it. Nothing that hangs around, is there another issue somewhere?

Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi,

How easy/difficult will it be to install?

Any install guide?

Thank you.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I just bought the AquaMist unit for y R52 S. Talked to Jeff and,no, he doesn't have any tanks left. I ordered on from AquaMist. The kit will be here Monday. Looking forward to getting it installed.