Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Sprintex Supercharger Upgrade or was it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 01:21 PM
blacklistedmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprintex Supercharger Upgrade or was it?

Hey fellow motorists, so over the weekend I installed the Sprintex SC on my 2005 R53, now I'm getting heat saying I should've gone with the EATON?? So obviously its only been a few days and so far this things rips... The stock SC is a much higher pitch whine, while the Sprintex is a deeper whine, like "I am Legend" Will Smith in the Mustang whine. I think it looks awesome and pulls way harder. I did however leave the stock pulley on the SC it came with and left the 15% reduced one on the stock SC. I didn't want to mess with the Warranty or anything by downsizing it, plus it's been designed around that pulley so I'd rather not risk over rotating the new SC. Has anyone else installed the Sprintex and has had it for a long time and had any issues with it? I know the customer service sucks at Sprintex, I messaged them like 3 times and no replies about anything... I feel like the last Sprintex thread I read was more heated convos between ***** Garage and RMW. Why can't we all just get along... Anyways, loved to hear some thoughts and opinions and see some facts. And talk MINI, I love my MINI!

Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Serafin
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
I too am looking to hear something about them. I found a really great deal used. And I’m thinking about taking the plunge.

But want to know more about it before i buy jt.

From the facts. Even just the oil service party seems easier.
Do you know if this is gen 1 or gen 2 Sprintex

Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Serafin
I too am looking to hear something about them. I found a really great deal used. And I’m thinking about taking the plunge.

But want to know more about it before i buy jt.

From the facts. Even just the oil service party seems easier.
Do you know if this is gen 1 or gen 2 Sprintex

Best guess, since they photographed it upside down, it's a Gen I and you don't want it. (The units themselves look very much alike, visually the quantifier is oil filler bolt on the gen I and dipstick type bolt on the gen II )

Bout to mention there's no W/P according to your pic's, while the W/P itself is generic, the housings that attach ou are Mini Kit specific.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 01-15-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:04 AM
Serafin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Best guess, since they photographed it upside down, it's a Gen I and you don't want it. (The units themselves look very much alike, visually the quantifier is oil filler bolt on the gen I and dipstick type bolt on the gen II )

Bout to mention there's no W/P according to your pic's, while the W/P itself is generic, the housings that attach ou are Mini Kit specific.
its a complete set. He wants $350 for them. Says everything works came fromhis mini. Thoughts? Such a good deal. What about do a complete rebuild with this? Worth t? Looks clean

here are the rest of the pic. One thing it’s issing he mentione was the bolt to mount the water pump. Guess one of the bolts stripped.

Last edited by Serafin; 01-16-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:25 AM
Serafin
5th Gear
Photos didn’t upload

Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 AM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
By far the biggest complaint/issue is the extra heat it creates. You need to be able to compensate for it.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Serafin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI33342
By far the biggest complaint/issue is the extra heat it creates. You need to be able to compensate for it.
so the claims are wrong with less heat. I have a bigger IC for it also.

Just want to see if the price is worth it or the head ache

Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Serafin

so the claims are wrong with less heat. I have a bigger IC for it also.

Just want to see if the price is worth it or the head ache
Correct, heat isn't an issue for a DD with spirited driving, heat is only an issue for track or extended high RPM driving, or if reducing pulley size.

That appears to be a gen II unit, so that would be the one to have (didn't want to make the assumption from the pulley color alone)

​​​​​​That's a pretty good price, it really depends on how much you're willing to spend total and how much of a hurry you'd be in, some of the other parts may be difficult to source, mostly just the associated parts for the W/P (the pump itself is easy, $150 from Summit, Jegs or Amazon) everything else is readily available in a few places.

If you do decide to try this, PM me, I have some stuff left over from mine or at least let you know what you'll need.

The following users liked this post:
Ellie1972 (02-07-2020)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Serafin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumpR52
I saw this a couple of weeks back. I ran the numbers cast into the unit and I thought it was a 1st generation unit but I could be wrong. What type of larger intercooler you have?
i sent the photos to Sprintex too and hey said it’s the stage 1 not the stage 2

not sure of the brand of rhe IC it comes with the SC
heres the photo. Looks like an eBay one but i might be wrong

Old 01-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Serafin
5th Gear
So for being stage 1/gen 1 don’t bother?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 PM
Serafin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blacklistedmini
Hey fellow motorists, so over the weekend I installed the Sprintex SC on my 2005 R53, now I'm getting heat saying I should've gone with the EATON?? So obviously its only been a few days and so far this things rips... The stock SC is a much higher pitch whine, while the Sprintex is a deeper whine, like "I am Legend" Will Smith in the Mustang whine. I think it looks awesome and pulls way harder. I did however leave the stock pulley on the SC it came with and left the 15% reduced one on the stock SC. I didn't want to mess with the Warranty or anything by downsizing it, plus it's been designed around that pulley so I'd rather not risk over rotating the new SC. Has anyone else installed the Sprintex and has had it for a long time and had any issues with it? I know the customer service sucks at Sprintex, I messaged them like 3 times and no replies about anything... I feel like the last Sprintex thread I read was more heated convos between ***** Garage and RMW. Why can't we all just get along... Anyways, loved to hear some thoughts and opinions and see some facts. And talk MINI, I love my MINI!
which one do you have? Stage 1 or 2 and how’s it hanging so far?

Old 01-23-2019, 10:38 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
What kind of boost numbers were you getting with the stock Eaton SC, and what are you getting with the sprintex? Any estimate on what kind of power you think it added? Did you have to get it tuned after the Sprintex, or did you just bolt it on and go? Final price when it was all said and done? Thanks for the info!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:19 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
So no feedback at all on the Sprintex?

Old 02-07-2020, 02:46 AM
Ellie1972
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you using the GPR performance tensioner from Bytetronik?