Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Rpm power tune!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 07:57 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Rpm power tune!!!!

WOW just had a stage 3 power tune loaded by Lorenzo up here in Vancouver B.C. Canada. If you are thinking about getting one don't hesitate, I wish I had done it before now. Everything runs better from Idle, on up, engine idles smoother less noise, low and mid range is noticeably better, way more torque, sets the DSC flashing at 2500rpm in second on dry roads. Top end the engine is making great hp and it sounds happier, no high frequency vibrations. Best of all no over-boost, at any range rpm, low high mid, doesn't matter, just put your foot into it and go. Had an accessport that was giving me all kinds of grief, over-boost city, tried adjusting waste gate, nothing worked, even running lesser maps still problems. The car has fresh air intake, bigger intercooler, jcw turbo, blow off valve, alta pipes throughout, 100 cell cat, alta 3" exhaust, lightened flywheel, street clutch. If your having boost issues this is the answer!!! Thanks Lorenzo!!! looking forward to the track next summer

Old 10-07-2018, 09:59 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Out of curiosity, will your AP still function --- not to load maps, but read OBD functions, reset ECU, clear codes, data log, etc?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:51 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
don't know I don't think so would have to remarry int to the vehicle, that would mean unloading the rpm tune, i bought the tool to load the rpm tunes, its a powergate alien tech, works great, can also read codes etc.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:55 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
If you had to install the RPM with another tool, similar to AP, then no, it's not worth worrying about. I wasn't aware that RPM needed a hand-held tool. I hoped it would be similar to a Manic install, where AP can still be used as a "base" tune. When you say "bought the tool to load the rpm tunes", do you mean the tool is "pre-loaded" with multiple tunes, like the AP? Where can we get info on RPM tuning, without talking to someone --- is there an RPM website? I'm thinking when I get my car back together and with a new turbo, Manic might not be available to re-tune my stage 4. He's not doing anyone any favors by leaving the scene like he did.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:06 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
@ oldbrokenwind - RPM power tuning is pretty active and very responsive on their Instagram and FB pages. Lorenzo replied within minutes last time i made an inquiry, gave me the info I was looking for and sent some new RPM decals my way (thanks Mario for those ).

*GP garage in Italy is another worth following.. they also just released some new solid tube for hot side piping from IC->Throttle body.

Glad your happy with the results! Im stage 2 on 91oct and have nothing but good things to say in the 13k miles ive put on since. I was saving for a new head.. but it looks like this OEM clutch is going to need upgrading first, its getting soft already (put in just before stage2 mods).

Old 10-08-2018, 11:32 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
If you had to install the RPM with another tool, similar to AP, then no, it's not worth worrying about. I wasn't aware that RPM needed a hand-held tool. I hoped it would be similar to a Manic install, where AP can still be used as a "base" tune. When you say "bought the tool to load the rpm tunes", do you mean the tool is "pre-loaded" with multiple tunes, like the AP? Where can we get info on RPM tuning, without talking to someone --- is there an RPM website? I'm thinking when I get my car back together and with a new turbo, Manic might not be available to re-tune my stage 4. He's not doing anyone any favors by leaving the scene like he did.
RPM Power doesn’t need a hand held device, this is only for customers that would rather not ship me their ECU. You can Email me for more details and your goals
MarioPalza@gmail.com

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 10-08-2018, 01:51 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
You don't need the tool but i think it is well worth it, i had 2 tunes uploaded, 1 for 19 psi, the other for 21 psi. I have been a tech for over 30 years and I cant say enough about this tune, engine runs so much smoother now with less noise and vibration. I am sure it is saving a lot of wear and tear internally on my engine and other parts. With the access port i couldn't use my cruise control, the engine would hunt up and down trying to maintain a constant speed, with the RPM tune i no longer have this issue. I started having the cruise issue after i installed a lightened flywheel and clutch, just accepted it as a by product of loosing so much inertial mass and weight, but it works great now, goes to show you how much a tune can do. Also noticed the engine is running way cooler, before tune it was constantly around 220, now its running at a cool and collected 180* Here is the Facebook link, https://www.facebook.com/RPMPOWER.VANCOUVER/ Mariocart also does RPM tunes. Cornjuice who did your tune? have you run it up on the dyno?

Last edited by E34M5; 10-08-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:34 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Mariokart did a RPM stage 3 tune on my R60 a while back and I absolutely love it! It makes it sooo much nicer, even for plain old day to day grownup type driving, lol. And when you put your foot in it, it responds eagerly, pulling like mad, it just goes! The Countryman is heavy and sluggish to start with, but with the tune, it just feels like it’s ready and willing. It makes it feel more nimble, just because of the responsiveness of it, along with the power increase. Like somebody just swapped an entirely different engine into it. It was a drastic, but fantastic change for the better.
I am thoroughly enjoying it, and can’t imagine ever having to drive it with the factory map again. I certainly wouldn’t want to! Like everyone says, this really is the way it should have been all along, from the factory. If anybody is on the fence about it, just do it already, you won’t be sorry!
I was sort of nervous about it before Mario got his hands on it. Wondering if it was going to make it difficult to drive around town and in traffic, with Grumpy Wifey in the car, I have to act like an adult, sort of...... but it was completely unnecessary, because this tune really makes all driving situations better. There really is no drawbacks that I have found.
I am a very happy customer! Thanks again Mariokart! (By the way, I’m still waiting for those new stickers!)

Old 10-08-2018, 06:31 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by E34M5
You don't need the tool but i think it is well worth it, i had 2 tunes uploaded, 1 for 19 psi, the other for 21 psi. I have been a tech for over 30 years and I cant say enough about this tune, engine runs so much smoother now with less noise and vibration. I am sure it is saving a lot of wear and tear internally on my engine and other parts. With the access port i couldn't use my cruise control, the engine would hunt up and down trying to maintain a constant speed, with the RPM tune i no longer have this issue. I started having the cruise issue after i installed a lightened flywheel and clutch, just accepted it as a by product of loosing so much inertial mass and weight, but it works great now, goes to show you how much a tune can do. Also noticed the engine is running way cooler, before tune it was constantly around 220, now its running at a cool and collected 180* Here is the Facebook link, https://www.facebook.com/RPMPOWER.VANCOUVER/ Mariocart also does RPM tunes. Cornjuice who did your tune? have you run it up on the dyno?
Are your 2 tunes available thru the hand held tool, so you can switch back and forth? If so, how many tunes will the tool hold? Manic has 3 plus a base for 4 total, and I've used all of them at one time or another.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I mailed my ECU to Mario for flashing - RPM stage2 (all supporting mods), 21.5psi and 6900RPM redline. No Ive not dyno'd it yet, I need to get the valves cleaned (its more than I want to do myself) before dyno; Im down ~20g/s on MAF right now due to the valves being coked up.. thats likely around 10-15hp at the wheels. I can say from some garage math and log times, its likely around ~240+ hp at the wheels & got enough torque to either spin the wheels or the clutch (depending on where you launch RPM wise) through 1/2/3 and chirp into 4rth ~90mph (on Bridgestone RF's). So many upgrade paths..im just saving for what breaks right now; looks like its going to be the OEM clutch i put in last year .. so power output will likely stay the same until i get that addressed.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
Yes both tunes are loadable, just like accessport, also has diagnostics like accessport. Go with lightened single mass steel flywheel and street clutch, way cheaper the second or third time round, face is machinable, then just replace cover and disc. Going to this one on the dyno after the meth injection is completed, should click off some good numbers

The following users liked this post:
cornjuice (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 04:20 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by E34M5
Go with lightened single mass steel flywheel and street clutch,
who sells this lightened single mass flywheel and what do you gain, quicker revs?

Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK
who sells this lightened single mass flywheel and what do you gain, quicker revs?
Morning, I do

email and I can help
MarioPalza@gmail.com

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 10-09-2018, 09:58 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KCLARK
One caution with light flywheels --- if your turbo is too big, i.e., spools later, you lose inertia at launch. My 300+WHP can't spin tires when launching, even with lotsa intentional clutch slipping. However, I'll lose traction just before shift points, and I get there extremely quick. So yes, you'll gain quicker revs. I also believe it's less strain on axels when not trying to burn out on launch. And you draw less attention from your local police dept.

Otherwise, I love my OS Giken clutch flywheel LSD package, it's ideal for my "sleeper". Been in use for 60K miles and still looking / feeling good.

The following 2 users liked this post by oldbrokenwind:
cornjuice (10-09-2018), Dave.O (10-09-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:37 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
single mass definitely lets the engine rev quicker, street clutch will hold the power better than the mo, I have no chatter issues etc. it has been very good, especially with the new tune

Old 02-09-2019, 11:01 PM
Claviger
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
11 days and I'll be posting a sheet for my RPM setup, super excited to get the Roadster strapped down on the rollers.