Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain air intake tube to turbo keeps pulling off

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 01:16 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
air intake tube to turbo keeps pulling off

ok so i can only assume this is happening because of the K&N intake, some how its "pulling" on the intake tube where it connects to the turbo but I just cant stop it from coming off. and that tube is hard as hell to push on so there is some serious force pulling it off.
i assume is is simply the way the motor pulls back and forth during acceleration/deceleration but why did this never happen with the stock airbox on there? why is the K&N CIA and short tube to the factory intake pipe causing it to pull away form the turbo inlet? as far as i know the air filter box, tubing, to the turbo inlet all rock back and forth with the same motion during acceleration/deceleration right?
d-a-n-g-e-r-o-u-s! to say the least when one day it pulls off and starts sucking **** directly into the turbo.

Last edited by cyberlunacy; 03-10-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:03 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
here is whats really F'd up about that picture;
last night i looked and there was maybe a 2mm gap i closed the hood and went inside.
this morning, all i did was pull it out of the garage, and drive 1 1/2 miles to Lowes, then home. no getting on it, nothing, just a leisurely drive to get some stuff.
without buying a gopro or cheap alternative and mounting it somewhere under the hood, or removing the hood and driving around, i have no way of viewing how the engine movement might even come close to causing this.
this is the suction side,,, how can it be getting pulled off? and i think the only reason it hasnt popped completely off is from the suction of the turbo itself.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:29 PM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Try cleaning the inlet of the turbo where the intake slides over it and on the inside of the intake tube. It looks like you have some oil residue around that area which could cause it to slide off when its tightened down.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:59 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
I will clean it and inside the factory tube also.
found this but no one stated what size tbolt clamp to get. Have to grab the 'ol caliper and measure the pipe.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...oming-off.html
seems like aftermarket intakes can put the factory tube at an odd angle causing it to pull off

Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
bought some tbolt clamps to make sure this damn thing stays on.
i wiped it out and only got a tiny bit of black from the inside of the plastic. def. not oil, just black plastic residue.
but for now its staying on. will add tbolts this weekend.

The following users liked this post:
PEneoark (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:47 AM
PEneoark
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good to hear dude

Old 03-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
I have the same issue, but from personal experience, I find it slipping out more often I had tighten the worm gear clamp too tight. Kinda funny because I found that out by accident when I was doing some service and had to remove the tube and put it back in. Initially, I put it back in and only tighten the worm gear to barely snug. I did that because I was in a hurry to put other things back together, so I deliberately skipped that step to tighten it up in the end. Then as I drive the car for the next few days, I find that tube to never slip out of position (at that time I didn't even remember the worm gear wasn't fully tightened). But after that during the weekend, I did open up the hood to take a look at it (because I'm always paranoid that the tube would slip out, due to normal circumstances, I basically check it quite often during the period I had it in tightly, and it had always been slipping out.) So this time while it wasn't so tight, it actually stayed in place. So in the end, I always just tighten that worm gear clamp to a slight snug fit, and it's always good now. Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:29 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
i put on a tbolt clamp and it is staying on.
but i appreciate the input thats an interesting find.