North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain looking for local tuner. Mass / RI area (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/330034-looking-for-local-tuner-mass-ri-area.html)

bruski83 07-28-2018 05:14 PM

looking for local tuner. Mass / RI area

hello all, I am looking for an R53 tuner in the mass / rhode island area or even a mail order tune. All I can find is the shark injector. And I can not find anything recent during my search. My mini has basic bolt ons, A decent tune and i can start focusing on other areas to modify.

thanks
Bruce

Eurothrasher 07-28-2018 06:06 PM

Shark = Leaned out engine and ultimately a busted engine.

Jan Tune ....about the same result for stock engine / daily driver as he has uses a "leaned out version" of the Factory JCW tune which is not good for an engine designed to run rich, and he has even less customer service than anyone selling a Shark.

Mynes Tune if you can, or maybe check with Turner Motor Sports in Massachusetts. They just installed a new dyno, maybe they have the means to safely adjust a MINI DME too ?

ingsoc 07-28-2018 07:24 PM

Jan/RMW is the best option. He will remotely tune and updates are free I believe. The mynes response is laughable. They destroyed some engines and left the business a long time ago, again I believe.

Eurothrasher 07-28-2018 07:31 PM

Seen Jan destroy at least two of my friends R53 engines locally.

Guess they both have had "bad luck".....

cmt52663 07-29-2018 04:09 AM

Bren Tuning

You might look at Bren Tuning. Bren did my R53 Works car back in the day, and the results were outstanding. They are in Upton, MA I do believe.

Cheers,

Charlie

https://www.facebook.com/brentuning/

Revolution Motor Works 07-30-2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eurothrasher (Post 4409710)

that's patently false

Whine not Walnuts 07-30-2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eurothrasher (Post 4409710)

In this instance if you are going to make a claim/allegation then you need to provide more information to back it up.

1.) When did this occur, year?
2.) How many miles were on the car?
3.) They were both stock R53 engines with no other modifications than a Jan tune?
4.) What was the catastrophic failure?
5.) You were actually there when this failure occurred?
6.) You actually saw the engine when it was torn down?
7.) You have seen the data from the ECU of the engine events prior to the failure?

Now, in years past if somebody badmouthed a sponsor the old regime banned their butt. This was one of the main issues if one reads through old Motoring Alliance as those guys got banned for badmouthing sponsors here and let everybody over there know about. Recently a member had an issue with Dinan, another sponsor, and there was no editing nor banishment. In that issue the member himself had issues with Dinan giving him what anybody in the right mind would have said was a "run around."

I spend allot of time researching any modification I am going to do with my car. All one has to do is pull up my threads on Chevy Cobalt Brembo Brakes and now MI Injection and you should note that I am just a little bit anal when it comes to my car. I have Jan's products on my car including his tune. Do I like Jan? I have never met the man but from what I have read in this place and on Motoring Alliance is that the man knows his s_hit pretty darn good. Has he screwed up in past, that I do not know.

downshift1 08-01-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts (Post 4410178)
Now, in years past if somebody badmouthed a sponsor the old regime banned their butt. This was one of the main issues if one reads through old Motoring Alliance as those guys got banned for badmouthing sponsors here and let everybody over there know about.

NOTE: I do not defend the OP or RMW in this but it brings to light another issue here in NAM.

Forum members being afraid to challenge the paying vendors is a bad thing and hurts the community in general. If they are afraid to bring issues to the open forum then others may go down the same road and end up losing money, time, or even interest in the forum.

Moderators openly interrogating members when they do bring issues to light is also bad. If someone wants to know the facts about what happened (including yourself) then PM him and ask. You know full well what will happen if he lays it out here, the fanboys on either side will turn this into a s***show faster than we can close a browser window.

The exchange of information needs to stay open, doesn't matter if it's good, bad or otherwise. I understand that this is a privately owned forum and that it can be handled anyway they want. The facts are if you want to get the bounce rate to go down instead of up like it has lately and to increase time spent per page then you need quality content for people to research, once again good, bad, or otherwise.

squawSkiBum 08-01-2018 08:26 PM

taking my moderator hat off here -

downshift1, I generally agree with you. However, WnW's point, which I agree with , is that both vendors and individual members need to back up their claims with facts. Unsubstantiated claims are worthless. The best product reviews have evidence and facts to back up the statements made. Anything else is just hearsay.

Moderator hat back on - let's get back on topic. Start a new thread in the Site Feedback forum if you want to discuss further.

Whine not Walnuts 08-02-2018 04:39 AM

Well, this is going were I tried to steer it.

As I noted above, years back you complained about a vendor it was off the ban van with you. My "interrogation" was more for my own edification than for NAM. Was I perhaps to hard? If the reply was just not so openly negative and derogatory, I would not have been so hard. So yes, as I need no help to make myself look stupid each and every day, will create a thread in the General MINI Talk area as IMO the Site Feedback area does not get the views needed for a discussion such as this.

The only people that have been banned in the last 20 months have been either spammers or scammers, just in case anybody wonders.

Dave.O 08-02-2018 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eurothrasher (Post 4409687)
Shark = Leaned out engine and ultimately a busted engine.

Jan Tune ....about the same result for stock engine / daily driver as he has uses a "leaned out version" of the Factory JCW tune which is not good for an engine designed to run rich, and he has even less customer service than anyone selling a Shark.

Mynes Tune if you can, or maybe check with Turner Motor Sports in Massachusetts. They just installed a new dyno, maybe they have the means to safely adjust a MINI DME too ?

The post above is a clear “hater thread” that offered no good information at all.

Heck, everyone knows Turner Motors sports PARTS is now owned by ECS Tuning, which does not offer any tuning at all.

Tuner Motor sports has only a race team now with a shop for......the race cars they run and service.

Revolution Motor Works 08-02-2018 02:17 PM

anybody that truly understands tuning would know that my tune is nothing like a Shark tune , nor is it a Lean JCW map
it's quite entertaining that a person would say that when I was the 1st tuner out there pulling timing out of these maps, not adding to them
I get cars in here tuned by others with 7lbs or more of increased boost and added 5+ degrees to the stock timing maps.

Ask yourself why one of my maps is copied in another tuners base map files for their customers to start with? ROFLMAO

Look, if you want to prove your way is better than mine, stop taking pot shots and show up to the race track and prove it
it will only make the Mini community better
I'll await to see you all there

downshift1 08-02-2018 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Revolution Motor Works (Post 4410948)
anybody that truly understands tuning would know that my tune is nothing like a Shark tune , nor is it a Lean JCW map
it's quite entertaining that a person would say that when I was the 1st tuner out there pulling timing out of these maps, not adding to them
I get cars in here tuned by others with 7lbs or more of increased boost and added 5+ degrees to the stock timing maps.

Good answer :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Revolution Motor Works (Post 4410948)
Ask yourself why one of my maps is copied in another tuners base map files for their customers to start with? ROFLMAO
Look, if you want to prove your way is better than mine, stop taking pot shots and show up to the race track and prove it
it will only make the Mini community better. I'll await to see you all there

Why couldn't you stop with just the actual factual answer? You almost made it through a post with out a derogatory remark and without saying the magic words :roll: :lol:

Revolution Motor Works 08-02-2018 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by downshift1 (Post 4410975)
Good answer :thumbsup:

You almost made it through a post with out a derogatory remark and without saying the magic words :roll: :lol:

you really need to get a life

Whine not Walnuts 08-02-2018 04:21 PM

OK closing this thread. If Eurothrasher wishes to respond he may do so by sending me a PM that I will then post in this thread.

And notice that nothing has been censored here . . . . . .