Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Those running the 1320 / Cat cam, Idle RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Those running the 1320 / Cat cam, Idle RPM?

I've just installed one of these and am looking to see where others set the idle when tuning? It really doesn't seem to like 750 RPM

Old 07-20-2018, 11:10 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by downshift1
I've just installed one of these and am looking to see where others set the idle when tuning? It really doesn't seem to like 750 RPM
usually MINI’s with aggressive cams I will set the idle at 900

Old 07-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Revolution Motor Works
Vendor
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
if it idles at 900, it's NOT an aggressive camshaft

Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Thanks guys

Old 07-24-2018, 02:40 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
My R50, for whatever reason, idles at about 900 or so or at least that is what is indicated on the tach... all stock other than bolt on intake and exhaust... the needle hovers one needles width under the 1000 mark...

Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
I think I figured out my issue with a little research.

I found 2 cases over in the UK and 1 here in the US where a pre-facelift Bosch DME (EMS 2000) does not do well with bigger cams at idle even with tuning. It seems to be a very rare thing and since the tunes were all done by a few different tuners on cars with very similar mods.

My theory is that the the original DME software version may have something to do with it as tuning software changes certain maps and perimeters but not the basic algorithms of how the ECU works. If the DME had an older (or factory) version of software rather than the latest update from the dealer that may be the answer?

All the cars switched up to the Siemens EMS 5150 and the idle issue went away. (I'm also going to try this to test my theory)

I would be interested in listing off all known CAL ID (OEM software ID code) to see how many different versions are floating around for both EMS 2000 and EMS 5150 also.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 AM
Revolution Motor Works
Vendor
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
maybe you just need a better tuner?

Old 07-27-2018, 09:52 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Motor Works
maybe you just need a better tuner?

From above post- "Tuning can't change the basic idle strategy algorithm in the DME, you can only change basic values."

In changing values you may be able to work around the algorithm and get the car to function but that's not the way I like to handle things. I would rather find the best software that MINI had come up with and have that available to tuners like yourself and others so the customers end up with the best tune you can supply.

During my research I looked at a few maps and logs from a few of US tuners even some from the offshore that were nice enough to send me theirs.

What I was looking for was how each tuner handled the idle strategy. Most of the data I looked at as far as tuning had a lot of commonalities as far as how and where adjustments were made but you can definitely see each tuners "style". The data also showed me that the way the DME was handling things changed with certain CAL IDs even though the values set by the tuner were nearly identical.

Knowing the R53 had a history of idle and drivability issues when they were stock and that MINI had updated the software more than a few times, the point of my post was to say maybe we should collect the CAL IDs for the US market and make a list so we can narrow down when MINI changed certain things to further help the community.

The following users liked this post:
Bearybee (09-18-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
I think I figured out my issue with a little research.

I found 2 cases over in the UK and 1 here in the US where a pre-facelift Bosch DME (EMS 2000) does not do well with bigger cams at idle even with tuning. It seems to be a very rare thing and since the tunes were all done by a few different tuners on cars with very similar mods.

My theory is that the the original DME software version may have something to do with it as tuning software changes certain maps and perimeters but not the basic algorithms of how the ECU works. If the DME had an older (or factory) version of software rather than the latest update from the dealer that may be the answer?

All the cars switched up to the Siemens EMS 5150 and the idle issue went away. (I'm also going to try this to test my theory)

I would be interested in listing off all known CAL ID (OEM software ID code) to see how many different versions are floating around for both EMS 2000 and EMS 5150 also.
Yes, I know this first hand, I had "one of those" ECU's and couldn't run even the mildest of Cams, my idle issues cleared up immediately with the upgrade to the VDO ECU.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:02 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
BlwnAway- I think yours was the US post I found that started me down this path, so thank you for that.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm looking into getting the catcam 469 for my car within the next year or so, I have an 03 (02 build date). Should I look into a newer ecu to prevent any kind of idle problems? I've only heard one video of a 469 cam idling and it was choppy which drew me to it.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:03 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yupoong
I'm looking into getting the catcam 469 for my car within the next year or so, I have an 03 (02 build date). Should I look into a newer ecu to prevent any kind of idle problems? I've only heard one video of a 469 cam idling and it was choppy which drew me to it.
Not necessarily, just be prepared if need be.

This was only an issue in a few ECU's, scattered across different years, unfortunately there's no way to tell unless you try it.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 07-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:14 AM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Not necessarily, just be prepared if need be.

This was only an issue in a few ECU's, scattered across different years, unfortunately there's no way to tell unless you try it.
How will I know when that time comes exactly?

Old 07-29-2018, 11:33 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
How will I know when that time comes exactly?
From my experience the issues manifested in different ways, depending on the Cam.
With my first two Cams (NS-1 and MegaMini) the car wouldn't WOT throttle without throwing misfire codes in differing cylinders.
​​​​​​​This last Cam (Thumpers Mid Range) the problem manifested itself with a surging Idle.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Old 07-29-2018, 11:50 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Let me add, while the VDO ECU cleared up my issue immediately upon install, this may not necessarily be the case with everyone having these Cam issues.
For me, it just showed that the issues were in my ECU, and possibly even any different ECU could have cleared things up.
​​​​​​The benefit to the VDO ECU besides the factory updates in the ECU itself, it offers better fine tuning adjustments in the areas of the mapping where it matters.

Old 07-29-2018, 03:05 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Mine showed itself with a surging idle also. When I looked at the data the Calculated Load was in the 60-70% range with only a 3% throttle opening at idle.

Old 07-29-2018, 03:30 PM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
Let me add, while the VDO ECU cleared up my issue immediately upon install, this may not necessarily be the case with everyone having these Cam issues.
For me, it just showed that the issues were in my ECU, and possibly even any different ECU could have cleared things up.
​​​​​​The benefit to the VDO ECU besides the factory updates in the ECU itself, it offers better fine tuning adjustments in the areas of the mapping where it matters.
Where did you find the new ecu you have? What all is required

Old 07-29-2018, 04:46 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Where did you find the new ecu you have? What all is required
I got mine from my tuner, Mynes/ByteTronik.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:50 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Bytetronik has fresh used ones that have been wiped clean. If you're going to a cam you should get them to set you up with the Full Access software and a set of 550cc injectors.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
Bytetronik has fresh used ones that have been wiped clean. If you're going to a cam you should get them to set you up with the Full Access software and a set of 550cc injectors.
Didn't plan on tuning the car myself, what options does that open me up to.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:05 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Didn't plan on tuning the car myself, what options does that open me up to.
It opens you up to their remote tuning options.
-You datalog a manner of driving specified by them. (Idle, Wot, light acceleration)
​​​​​​-e-mail them that log file
-they e-mail you backa new tune file to upload to the car
-you then datalog that tune

This process is repeated until the tuning is complete.

-or

Schedule a specific time with the tuner, and a dyno, to have it all done in one day

While the process will differ slightly between tuners, this is basically how all remote tunes are done.

My preference has always been road tuning, even though it takes longer, it gives you real world conditions with temp, air follow and drag.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:05 PM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
It opens you up to their remote tuning options.
-You datalog a manner of driving specified by them. (Idle, Wot, light acceleration)
​​​​​​-e-mail them that log file
-they e-mail you backa new tune file to upload to the car
-you then datalog that tune

This process is repeated until the tuning is complete.

-or

Schedule a specific time with the tuner, and a dyno, to have it all done in one day

While the process will differ slightly between tuners, this is basically how all remote tunes are done.

My preference has always been road tuning, even though it takes longer, it gives you real world conditions with temp, air follow and drag.
Would they provide a base tune for starting the car, given 550cc injectors, and a much bigger cam than factory?

Old 07-29-2018, 11:51 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Would they provide a base tune for starting the car, given 550cc injectors, and a much bigger cam than factory?
You'd have to contact them to see exactly what is offered with what packages and options. They've been tuning for me for years, so things have changed as far as beginning the process.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:47 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
Old 07-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Yupoong
2nd Gear
Thanks, go both of you! Will get in contact with them when the time comes. Keep Motoring guys!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Those running the 1320 / Cat cam, Idle RPM?