Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain larger turbo inlet tube/hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Hvyjetdriver
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
larger turbo inlet tube/hose

For those going with the larger compressor housing what turbo inlet hose are you using?

2012 R55

Old 06-09-2018, 09:33 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
running a 47mm
With the stock jcw intake pipe '
Just pull the rubber insert from the pipe

Old 07-11-2018, 05:26 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Will start an install soon...have one of these ready to go in -

http://jmtcperformance.com/universal-turbo-intake/

Old 08-16-2018, 10:53 PM
Bdibs
Neutral
Larger intake turbo inlet hose

The ones listed still are not large enough I took picture and drew up specs

Temporary fix for turbo inlet with mesurments of what i need

Old 08-16-2018, 10:55 PM
Bdibs
Neutral
Anyone know where to get something that size only thing i found in a hose manufacturer that will custom make it for me

Old 08-17-2018, 07:15 AM
Notcompensating
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bdibs
Anyone know where to get something that size only thing i found in a hose manufacturer that will custom make it for me
just use aluminum bends and couplers

Old 08-17-2018, 10:55 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Here's my setup, with dual OCC and external DV. Never could find a good 1-piece elbow / Tee for the turbo. Note the PCV heater has been removed --- no CEL and not compensated for by Manic --- just one more loose cable to fasten down someplace.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:42 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
nice forum where your post get randomly deleted! Thanks!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:54 AM
cornjuice
Banned
as I put here once already..

You can look for a regular 90.. you dont need the PCV connection or the stupid heater sensor (if you did then EU cars would have them too). Vent the other side of that PCV to atmosphere and leave the sensor/heater disconnected (no it doesnt cause a CEL.. it doesnt do anything actually until its -0 outside). Mini put those 2x items there just to make our lives difficult in making a better CAI.

Thanks NAM for deleting as always.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:21 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Re; stupid heater sensor; It does throw a CEL and you can'tclear it unless you revert to stock setup.
I'm from RI where we have the WORST or should I say WERSTEST roads in the USA and some of the strictest emissions standards known to man and geese everywhere.
Naturally my highly modded JCW would not pass the $65 state inspection because it could make some geese nausious from toxic fumes. The state chose to suspend my registration for 1 year or until my car could get a STIKA.
Of course I still kept driving (fear of being towed if caught) until I gave up and went back to stock intake which was a pain because I threw the OEM garbage and had to go to MINI for new parts which were not in stock and had to be ordered and then I had my car "inspected"and got my STIKA.
I then proceeded to my home where I promptly removed all the stock crap and reinstalled the modded junk. From there I proudly displayed my STIKA and went on to do HOONIGAN activities.
Save your takeoff parts for the next round.
ISAMIN

Old 08-18-2018, 06:39 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Ive left my sensor off many times working under the hood and didnt have any indication it wasnt plugged in until the next time i popped the hood and found it...

*maybe ambient temp triggers it to activate .. i dunno. CA not as cool as RI though.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:45 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I know on my N18 the plug on the wire broke off and the MINI dealer says they can’t even get a replacement for it. It was giving me a CEL while it was unplugged and the code wouldn’t clear until I hooked it back up. I ended up just crimping on a couple of blade connectors and plugged them back in that way. NM Engineering sells resistors for them to delete the pvc heater without getting a CEL. Their intake is the only one that I know of that replaces the factory turbo inlet tube and deletes the 2 PVC heaters on it.
Im interested in an alternative to the factory turbo inlet also. Since I replaced my turbo, the factory inlet tube doesn’t want to stay on very well. I’ve tried hairspray and everything else I can think of. It’s on there now, but the next time I need to remove it for something, it’s going to be another big hassle. I ended up putting the factory airbox back on, because it actually works very well and keeps my intake temps down. Since I put the DV+ on, almost all of the sweet blow off noise went away, they are very quiet. So I’m back to the stock box, but I need a different inlet hose option.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Bdibs
Neutral
Intake

I am really happy with my Aem intake kit didnt have a problem till my turbo inlet grew three sizes it utilizes the hood scoop for what it is intended for novel idea why didnt they think of that in the first place
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
I know on my N18 the plug on the wire broke off and the MINI dealer says they can’t even get a replacement for it. It was giving me a CEL while it was unplugged and the code wouldn’t clear until I hooked it back up. I ended up just crimping on a couple of blade connectors and plugged them back in that way. NM Engineering sells resistors for them to delete the pvc heater without getting a CEL. Their intake is the only one that I know of that replaces the factory turbo inlet tube and deletes the 2 PVC heaters on it.
Im interested in an alternative to the factory turbo inlet also. Since I replaced my turbo, the factory inlet tube doesn’t want to stay on very well. I’ve tried hairspray and everything else I can think of. It’s on there now, but the next time I need to remove it for something, it’s going to be another big hassle. I ended up putting the factory airbox back on, because it actually works very well and keeps my intake temps down. Since I put the DV+ on, almost all of the sweet blow off noise went away, they are very quiet. So I’m back to the stock box, but I need a different inlet hose option.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:27 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Those actually look like they are pretty sweet. I have an R60 though... so no hood scoop, that one doesn’t fit. Although I have looked at the JCW airbox, and it looks like with a little bit of tinkering and some cleverness, I can do something very much like it with the factory airbox. I’m pretty sure I can fabricate a way to attach a cylinder type filter inside, then maybe cut a small hole in the lid.... presto! Lol. But I still need a better inlet tube. Does AEM sell just an inlet hose?

Old 08-18-2018, 11:37 PM
Bdibs
Neutral
Air delivery to Airbox

Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
Those actually look like they are pretty sweet. I have an R60 though... so no hood scoop, that one doesn’t fit. Although I have looked at the JCW airbox, and it looks like with a little bit of tinkering and some cleverness, I can do something very much like it with the factory airbox. I’m pretty sure I can fabricate a way to attach a cylinder type filter inside, then maybe cut a small hole in the lid.... presto! Lol. But I still need a better inlet tube. Does AEM sell just an inlet hose?
as far as I've seen aem is the only one who makes it great solution to could air it also collects air from the bottom hole in grill as well you can google them and call them they do answer the phones to public and will sell directly to public located in southern California

Old 08-18-2018, 11:54 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Right on.... thanks!