Drivetrain Cravenspeed Short Shifter with OEM knob and boot

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:56 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Craven, also, your side ball is too small for the oem white bushing, it adds some slop over stock actually.
Thanks for bringing this up because I am glad to help, but that sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me! We take few things more seriously than our tolerances, so I am glad you make a very specific reference here so that I can try to address it.

If I had to guess, the shifter you got from another NAM member is the R56 model instead of the one for you R52? Those two shifters are nearly identical except for the side ball. The shaft is the same, the main pivot ball is the same, the lower cable ball is the same...but the R52 side ball is larger than the R56 by 38 thousandths. That would certainly lead to the slop you corrected with that cleverly designed new bushing, nice work. We are still working very slowly through our catalog to open source our designs but I have the two side pivots up.

R52/R53 Shifter Side Pivot
R56 Shifter Side Pivot

Mine had slop with the r56 ****. I had to put some aluminum foil on top of the little fork to get it from sliding up and down a couple mm.
The way you resolved the annoying lift in the **** is also clever. That one is certainly on us, but it's not exactly a tolerance issue but an assembly one. I suspect that the delrin adapter that screws onto the shaft needs to be screwed down a few mm further onto the shaft. It's possible that would require a tool to accomplish if it is too tough to do by hand.

If your experience with either of these issues is different than my understanding of them I would be glad to hear more about it so that we can get to the bottom of it. Part of the reason to open source is to ensure accuracy with input from community members with expertise like you, thank you!

Old 06-06-2018, 06:40 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Subw00er
Craven, also, your side ball is too small

Ok ........... anyone else giggle at this statement or just me?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:19 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
lol! I should edit that.

Craven, the cylinder container mine came in says its for 1st gen, crmc-0017-B, but as I did get it used, its possible someone swapped boxes! Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:19 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Subw00er

Craven, the cylinder container mine came in says its for 1st gen, crmc-0017-B, but as I did get it used, its possible someone swapped boxes! Thanks for the reply.
Hey, it would not be impossible for us to have mislabeled it. Of course, we make mistakes like anyone else, not that we are known to mislabel stuff, but that kind of mistake is 100x more likely than our machine quality being off. Thanks for your reply. Always call us out if there is an issue with any of our parts, because when we make mistakes we will fix them! Speaking of which, it sounds like you have both of these things solved but if you need anything else, just let me know.