Drivetrain Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Man! I leave work and practice my golf shot and this place goes crazy!!!! Yes, I have to practice indoors because this stupid state insists on prolonging winter. You guys keep this up and you are going to have a roommate for a few months .... me!!

As an ex-member of the Dinan Sport club, I was pretty amazed at the differences honestly. I wasn't expecting that much of a difference but the first 2miles after I flashed the ROM is was convinced.

When the Sport hit, it hit hard and the speed reflected it. There was a small delay/lag (i felt) until I got past 4k. After that, the car flew! Before 4K, eh... ok.

Now, the BT flash is 100% different. The best way to describe it is consistent. The power doesn't hit at 4k, it is consistent before and after 4K. The lag I felt with the Sport is gone. You hit the pedal and the car responds.

Another way I tried to describe it to a friend was using a shifting example. You are going along and need to shift, for me I try to shift around 4-5K because it is an easier, non-jerking shift. If I shift before that the Mini jerks and you or the passenger move forward and back a bit, that is the Sport. If you nail the shift at 4-5K+ it's a flawless transition, before that the car is slow and jerky.

The Byte Tronik flash is like an automatic. As you go faster the power just builds and the shifts happen without you even noticing it, the car doesn't jerk, people arent moving etc..., the car just gets faster.

Plus, I never once said "this is the last thing Im going to mod on my car", having the BT resources to tweak the tune with configuration files is HUGE. I recently posted am story how my car was a jet engine starting up after I put in a catless Milltek DP. Within a day, Mike and staff sent me a configuration file I flashed and the jet engine was gone - https://myredmini.com/quiet-once-again/

After I get my intercooler installed I am heading to the dyno to really see what my Mini puts out.

I hope this helps

Ok, back to my igloo, I need to find a walrus to kill so I can burn some more fat for heat soon or I am going to freeze to death.

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie

The Byte Tronik flash is like an automatic. As you go faster the power just builds and the shifts happen without you even noticing it, the car doesn't jerk, people arent moving etc..., the car just gets faster.

I hope this helps
Thanks for all the detail. I'm starting to get the idea. Sort of 'warming up' to it.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Airtec Intercooler Group Buy?

Hey guys, we are getting a lot of inquiries from customers who are looking to upgrading their intercoolers. We are coordinating with Airtec to make sure the JCW version is ready for prime time. We were really impressed with the Airtec when we were doing development tunes with 1320MINI in the UK.

Interested members please PM me with your requirements (which model and what color combo):
  1. Year and Model of MINI:
  2. Intercooler finish:
  3. Airtec Logo?
http://www.airtec-cooling.co.uk/prod...turbo-powered/

Old 02-22-2018, 05:51 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Thanks guys, but you're a couple years too late for me. Have to make do with my Helix.
Is BT gonna have anyone at MOTD this year? Just curious. I've got a time slot scheduled for the dyno on Saturday afternoon to see what my little 2.0 is making. I'll have my DP installed next month, so more powah to look forward to.
I think I'm gonna start a savings account for a high performance clutch soon too.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:55 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Thanks guys, but you're a couple years too late for me. Have to make do with my Helix.
Is BT gonna have anyone at MOTD this year? Just curious. I've got a time slot scheduled for the dyno on Saturday afternoon to see what my little 2.0 is making. I'll have my DP installed next month, so more powah to look forward to.
I think I'm gonna start a savings account for a high performance clutch soon too.
Glad you got the flash working in your MINI. Thanks Vinnie for the help.

Vetsvette: do you have logging on your MINI? It would be interesting to compare the IAT for the Helix against other ICs on the market.

We might be heading over to the Dragon, not 100% sure yet..

Old 02-22-2018, 06:04 PM
vetsvette
Don't have the ability to log yet. Hope to get to that soon. I'd like to see you guys at the Dragon.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
Glad you got the flash working in your MINI. Thanks Vinnie for the help.
Always glad to help!

Once I get my Forge Intercooler installed (next week hopefully) I can start logging. I'll log a few drives this weekend as a baseline with the stock IC

Back to my igloo. Unless you need interns over at BT!!!

Old 02-23-2018, 04:41 AM
jobea
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Always glad to help!

Once I get my Forge Intercooler installed (next week hopefully) I can start logging. I'll log a few drives this weekend as a baseline with the stock IC

Back to my igloo. Unless you need interns over at BT!!!
I installed my forge ic today. Can you share what do you look out for while logging?

Old 02-23-2018, 06:13 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by jobea

I installed my forge ic today. Can you share what do you look out for while logging?
Sure thing!

How was the install?

Old 02-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini_Vinnie or anyone else who has changed out their oem spark plugs did you torque them to spec? If so what torque spec did you use?

I am planning on doing quite a few installs soon and then flashing my tune from Bytetronik.

To be installed:

- Forge Intercooler
- Miltek Downpipe w sports cat
-AWE SFlow Intake
- Colder NGK Spark Plugs
- Bytetronik ODB2 Tune

To be removed:

-NM Engineering Intake
-JB4 Piggyback
-Stock JCW Intercooler
-Stock JCW Downpipe
-OEM Spark Plugs

Just waiting on my last part to arrive (Miltek DP) before I get started 😁.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:32 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
23 +/- 3 Nm or 16.9 +/- 2.2 ft-lbs

Why getting rid of intake? Is your tune based on an OEM intake?

Last edited by MarcoPolo; 02-24-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Thanks for the torque specs.

My tune should be based on the AWS intake.

I don't dislike my Nm Eng Intake but I do think the AWS version looks a little nicer plus I like the fact that it has a closer to stock appearance with the carbon heat shield.

I honestly thought about buying one long ago when they first came out but I knew it wouldn't make any difference performance wise but now since I'm having all this other stuff installed figured might as well.

I'll probably clean it up and sell it along with my various other piggybacks.

For reference I've used all of the following:

NM Engineering Module
RaceChip Module
JB4 Module

Lol yeah let's just say I've got some experience with various piggybacks 😂

Old 02-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Mini_Vinnie
You will be amazed at the difference

Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Yeah I am hoping so.

Speaking with Mike at Bytetronik he told me that it is a completely different type of power.

The way he explained it to me made a lot of sense most Piggybacks are reactionary in nature because of them modifying the signals going to the ECU and then waiting for the ECU to respond appropriately where as a Tune is coming directly from the ECU itself so the power is more instant since there is not altering of signals.

What I am really hoping for is that the upgraded Intercooler helps keep that power more consistent when its warmer outside.

I have noticed with all piggybacks i've tried that there can be times of me stomping on the gas and then having a jerky power increase (doesn't happen all the time). The JB4 probably has preformed the best out of the ones i've tried but Id be thrilled if I could get that power but delivered smoothly all the time.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:19 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
the intercooler will help tremendously. the delta between ambient and IAT is impressively small. i also have the forge intercooler and think it's great. you will be happy.

i didn't know you were adding an intake after removing the NM. my mistake. i thought you were going back to stock, thus the question on your tune.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:54 AM
jobea
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure thing!

How was the install?
the installation was a breeze. Literally plug and play without any need for additional modification. I must say forge really did well i this aspect. 👍🏻 This is similar to my downpipe too, no issues on fittings as well. 👍🏻

Old 02-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by jobea

the installation was a breeze. Literally plug and play without any need for additional modification. I must say forge really did well i this aspect. 👍🏻 This is similar to my downpipe too, no issues on fittings as well. 👍🏻

Awesome, mine is getting installed Thurs or Friday

Old 02-26-2018, 06:11 AM
vetsvette
This was Helix installing mine at MOTD 2016.

Attached Thumbnails Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform-img_1405.jpg  
Old 02-26-2018, 06:29 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by vetsvette
This was Helix installing mine at MOTD 2016.
Nice! Hopefully, mine is easy as that

Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 PM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I am really torn between bytetronik and evolve. I only know of one person who has had both.

I have asked both if they will do a lower torque tune for me and they said they would. My main concern is the clutch life and the piston/rod limitations long term. I am not convinced the stock rods or pistons can handle the insane low end torque this turbo cam produce. As most of you may know low end torque or detonation are the quickest way to punch a hole in your block.

Based off the logs I have seen it looks like bytetronik runs a lower boost but throws more timing at the engine. Evolve runs more boost and less aggessive timing. One factor with evolve is that he seems to be targetiing 14-15:1 afr until about 4000rpm which i think is quite aggessive for a US car with crap quality 91-93oct.

My extent of planned engine mods will be downpipe (to keep egt's lower), intercooler, and tune. I have no wants or needs to make crazy torque and the most whp possible. I just want safe and reliable power.

Can anyone post some logs they have done on a bytetronik tune?

Last edited by charrigan; 02-26-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Mini_Vinnie
I’m in the process of getting logs to compare my stock intercooler vs the Forge IC I’m getting on Thursday. I’ll post them tomorrow.

BT is in Texas, Evolve is in the UK. Mike at BT has never not returned a phone call or email in less than 2 hours. It’s an 8hr time difference in England every time you have a question or problem.

You need to consider those factors as well when picking a tune.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:13 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by charrigan
I am really torn between bytetronik and evolve. I only know of one person who has had both.

I have asked both if they will do a lower torque tune for me and they said they would. My main concern is the clutch life and the piston/rod limitations long term. I am not convinced the stock rods or pistons can handle the insane low end torque this turbo cam produce. As most of you may know low end torque or detonation are the quickest way to punch a hole in your block.

Based off the logs I have seen it looks like bytetronik runs a lower boost but throws more timing at the engine. Evolve runs more boost and less aggessive timing. One factor with evolve is that he seems to be targetiing 14-15:1 afr until about 4000rpm which i think is quite aggessive for a US car with crap quality 91-93oct.

My extent of planned engine mods will be downpipe (to keep egt's lower), intercooler, and tune. I have no wants or needs to make crazy torque and the most whp possible. I just want safe and reliable power.

Can anyone post some logs they have done on a bytetronik tune?
menu not just go with DINAN Elite which is warranty friendly? Is it as good? I’m sure not but there’s no issue about things holding up.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:00 PM
vetsvette
Or we could leave it stock and it would be even more reliable! But, that's not what this thread is about.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Dyno tuned a few F56s last week.

Well, it's official, our Mustang Dyno is a "heart breaker" that shows low (but accurate) numbers. Keep in mind that we dyno all the MINIs in All-wheel drive mode.

Car 1: 2016 Cooper-S Auto, Stock except with aftermarket exhaust, Shell 93 Octane fuel; Peaked at 18 psi

Stock: 169 WHP | 193 WTQE
BT Stage-1 Tuned: 200 WHP | 262 WTQE
Gained: +31 WHP| +69 WTQE

Car 2: 2017 Cooper-S Manual, Bone Stock, Shell 93 Octane fuel. Peaked at 18 psi

Stock: 195 WHP | 212 WTQE
BT Stage-1 Tuned: 225 WHP | 278 WTQE
Gained: +30 WHP| +66 WTQE

Old 02-26-2018, 10:29 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
We have love for the Cooper 1.5T as well ;)

We also dyno tuned a cooper 1.5T Clubman and gained 33 WHP and 33 Wheel Torque (car was all stock except for an AFe drop-in filter).

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...he-cooper.html

So let your F56 Cooper friends know that Bytetronik can make their Cooper into an "S" in power and torque

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform