Drivetrain Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by phantasms
How does the car know to not throw an overboost CEL? Is the acceptable range changed during the tune or does it not get past the limit?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene :cheers:
Gene, the car won't throw the overboost CEL b/c it will not overboost under a good tune (unless there's an issue with hardware). Unlike a piggyback where it's tricking the ECU into 'thinking' that the car is under-boosting, thereby indirectly requiring the ECU to raise the boost to hit the 'target' boost, a remap (or tune) tells the ECU exactly what the new target should be and the ECU is going to try to reach it.

By that same principle, we can tell if a certain car is making unrealistic torque (due to a dyno that's out of calibration)... For example: if the torque target (& limit) is set at 320 and this car is claiming to make over 373 ft-lb of torque to the wheel, then we can deduce that there's an error with dyno. The ECU would have thrown the car into 'limp mode' before allowing it to exceed the torque target.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:51 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
Gene, the car won't throw the overboost CEL b/c it will not overboost under a good tune (unless there's an issue with hardware). Unlike a piggyback where it's tricking the ECU into 'thinking' that the car is under-boosting, thereby indirectly requiring the ECU to raise the boost to hit the 'target' boost, a remap (or tune) tells the ECU exactly what the new target should be and the ECU is going to try to reach it.

By that same principle, we can tell if a certain car is making unrealistic torque (due to a dyno that's out of calibration)... For example: if the torque target (& limit) is set at 320 and this car is claiming to make over 373 ft-lb of torque to the wheel, then we can deduce that there's an error with dyno. The ECU would have thrown the car into 'limp mode' before allowing it to exceed the torque target.
Thank you for all the info. Just one step closer to selling the Elite. I guess it's the warranty that's keeping me at this point. Interesting that you're able to set the specific torque targets. Is that at the engine or wheels? As in, does BMW know drivetrain less perfect enough to factor it into the ECU. And with that, what's your target psi?

Best,
Gene

Old 01-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by phantasms
Thank you for all the info. Just one step closer to selling the Elite. I guess it's the warranty that's keeping me at this point. Interesting that you're able to set the specific torque targets. Is that at the engine or wheels? As in, does BMW know drivetrain less perfect enough to factor it into the ECU. And with that, what's your target psi?

Best,
Gene
All the ECU parameters are all engine-based; so the targets are rated at the crank or motor output. BMW has a tendency to understate their power levels on paper. Our tune is target at 18/19 PSI (this will customized depending on your climate, elevation, gas type, etc). And we have customers coming to us with late model 2017s coming to us for tunes

Perhaps we can take the "W" question offline... send us an email and we can chat on the phone

Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 AM
nqr31467
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Had a chance to drive spiritedly over the weekend. Had an interesting drive against a MB AMG on the expressway on ramp. MB AMG tried to pass me on the right where we proceeded to race onto the expressway, the ramp had a bit of a left hand turn where I lurched to the lead taking the curve on the low side at about 80 and continued to accelerate. MB driver eventually caught up and passed further down the road but I had already let off the gas. This flash tune is awesome! Thank you again Byte Tronik!!!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:11 AM
Mimaki
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First drive, results are its nice and smooth, throttle is linear, a few pops here and there in normal mode and an increase in sport of course.

The engine sounds a bit more mechanical / guttural, auto transmission working well, and the speed you are travelling is a bit deceiving as its effortless power/torque.

There is no big boost hit, just smoothness, like your driving a bigger more responsive motor.

The All4 removes any wheel spin shenanigans, might need to get a hatch for a bit more fun.

Last edited by Mimaki; 01-21-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:54 PM
actorlany
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious has anyone has checked a boost gauge after the install to see if it's actually boosting to 18 lbs?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by actorlany
Just curious has anyone has checked a boost gauge after the install to see if it's actually boosting to 18 lbs?
Pretty much right on target. Happy with the tune. Great customer service (props to Mike W)!

Old 01-24-2018, 06:07 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
What is everyone using to Data log? I have a program on an old Android and for the life of me I cant think of the name of the stupid program.

Any laptop programs out there?

Old 01-24-2018, 06:23 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Or iPad programs?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Or iPad programs?
I’m logging with OBDFusion on iOS and Elm327 adapter. Should work well with the VGate adapter as well if you already have one for the BimmerCode app. Don’t buy DashCommand, no logging nor csv export functions. For Android I think Torque Pro is the best app. But I have no Android experience. Others that have used the app might want to chime in and share your experience.

The following users liked this post:
Mini_Vinnie (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Yes!! Torque pro, thats the one I couldn't remember the name of.

I will check out that Apple version you mentioned. I hate having to carry 2 phone and chargers.

Here's the link for OBD Fusion - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obd-...650684932?mt=8

Works on iPad too Whitey!

Last edited by Mini_Vinnie; 01-24-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know I’ve been MIA on the forum the last couple years but in a crazy twist of fate from my 2 year old daughter being overly social my wife met the ByteTronik owner and his family and got me in touch with them. I only live 15 minutes to their new shop so I went out to meet them today. Good people, nice shop in progress, and a lot of possitive feedback on their work! Hopefully RahXephon will get some extra boooost soon since my warranty is finally gone

Old 01-30-2018, 12:30 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by randomquickness
I know I’ve been MIA on the forum the last couple years but in a crazy twist of fate from my 2 year old daughter being overly social my wife met the ByteTronik owner and his family and got me in touch with them. I only live 15 minutes to their new shop so I went out to meet them today. Good people, nice shop in progress, and a lot of possitive feedback on their work! Hopefully RahXephon will get some extra boooost soon since my warranty is finally gone
Thanks for coming by and hope to see you more in the Austin MINI meets in the near future.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:32 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Last Call on the Group Buy Pricing!!!

For those who are on the fence, the Group Buy pricing will be ending soon... contact us if you don't want to miss out on the special pricing

Old 01-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Mini_Vinnie
For those on the fence ............. DO THIS NOW!!

You will be absolutely amazed the difference the flash makes to your car. I can't stop smiling. The power is ridiculous and it is a very easy process to flash. The directions look a little intimidating but trust me, in less than 10mins you have a brand new car.

Whats better is the company. Their customer service is some of the best I have ever experienced in 20+ years of modding/working on cars. I got an answer to one of my questions at 11:45 pm on a Sunday!

Just awesome all the way around.

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 AM
MQQN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
For those on the fence ............. DO THIS NOW!!

You will be absolutely amazed the difference the flash makes to your car. I can't stop smiling. The power is ridiculous and it is a very easy process to flash. The directions look a little intimidating but trust me, in less than 10mins you have a brand new car.

Whats better is the company. Their customer service is some of the best I have ever experienced in 20+ years of modding/working on cars. I got an answer to one of my questions at 11:45 pm on a Sunday!

Just awesome all the way around.
I will second this, this company is first rate and the end result is an insanely quick and better driving vehicle!!! T guys who run the company are super nice and very knowledgeable on this platform, as Nike says..."Just do it"!!!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:29 AM
actorlany
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd and MIke W. is awesome with his callbacks.

PS. has anyone used the driving excitement meter to measure hp and tq before and after the tune. If so, what numbers are you seeing?

Old 01-31-2018, 10:58 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Old 02-01-2018, 06:14 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
my only suggestion for the OBD adapters, the knockoffs tend to have a slower refresh rate. i specifically use the OBDLink LX on my android with the obdlink app for realtime analysis. for data logging i use torque pro and when i'm on the track i use TrackAddict.

the refresh rate is fast (as high as 3hz sometimes) and the best thing is they actually provide firmware updates, which is unheard of for these knockoffs. now yes, the cost of the knockoffs are $5-$20 whereas the obdlink lx is $40-$50..i felt it was worth it and i'm happy.

just my $0.02. glad everyone is enjoying the tune. i got mine in June of last year and only had it for one track event and could immediately tell the difference (my top speed increased from 123MPH to 129MPH). getting things ready for this year but should be nothing but smiles.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:24 PM
jobea
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
For those who are on the fence, the Group Buy pricing will be ending soon... contact us if you don't want to miss out on the special pricing
when is this ending? Or already ended?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:51 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by jobea
when is this ending? Or already ended?
Send them a PM, they'll hook you up. 😎?

Old 02-04-2018, 05:23 AM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
Pm sent. Hopefully this isn’t closed yet. With tax refund season now in full swing i want in haha

Old 02-06-2018, 04:05 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BadakVT
Pretty much right on target. Happy with the tune. Great customer service (props to Mike W)!
Yeah this is the log I emailed BT on 7/27/17 and they said everything looked good. Felt amazing and so damn powerful, killed every car on the street Especially my buddies Focus RS. Definitely a lot different from your log. Few extra PSI in there. So damn torquey I wish you guys could have felt it. I thought boost hit a little too early thoe. No hate on BT at all, they have awesome customer service and response times. Especially emailing around the clock with support and answering questions. With a new engine in my car, I decided to go a different route which I'm sure most would have done also just to see what else is on the market.

I'm glad more people are getting tuned and not running piggy back chips!

Old 02-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Sorry for late response, we got slammed pretty hard with the flu bug, at the same time, trying to get our dyno installed and calibrated. Will try to get caught up with the PMs by tomorrow. Tks.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:26 AM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
Any new progress with the use of JB4 and BT stage 1 flash? Just curious. Can’t wait for my BT flash to arrive and have been reading through all of these threads. I will be more than likely be using the JB4 for monitoring and datalogging, but an old thread talking about possible advancements in the use of both have sparked my interest.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform