Drivetrain Dinan Comparison: I Thought I was Happy

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:19 AM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Its fine to get the Dinan but you have to lay off the power until the 1000mi break-in period is done. It sucks but just take it easy for a while.

When I got my new Mini I literally did a few 4+ hour drives to my cabin to get to the 1000mi mark faster
I was thinking of driving to Atlanta to visit Way and get all the suspension mods done. Wish it would get here so I can stop thinking about what mods and just go driving....

Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by nclorax
Car made it to Port of Baltimore expect delivery sometime in April! Dealer is a Dinan instaler. Can get the Elite installed before I pick her up.

Thoughts on should I get the Elite from day one or drive her stock for a while? If the bypass plug still comes with the Elite I could run with that for a while as I do all the none agresive driving in the first 500 miles.
Having dealer install is a good idea. Eliminates issues in fixing problems that might arise as the dealer can fix or get Dinan to work on any issues. Recent posts of another member in contacting Dinan point out how valuable it is to be able to just take it back to MINI dealer and let them handle it.

Bypass plug is only needed if you can't control your right foot!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:25 PM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep get it just let the car break in before starting to hammer on it ! Great upgrade

Old 04-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed my elite last weekend. It seems really good but is there a break in (learning) period on it? Also I read that someone had a way to make your mini start always in sport mode how is that done?

Old 04-11-2018, 02:27 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Not sure about the Elite, but with the Sport module, the car has to learn it's new limits after installation.

To code your car to start in Sport mode you need the bimmercode app. Check 3rd Gen FAQ.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
The break in period on my Elite was about . . . instantly faster. Same with the Dinan Sport. Only lag time I've ever had was the JB+ on my Countryman.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:03 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
It seems like tunes are all the rage these days, but they don't seem to be well enough vetted at this point. I pulled the trigger on one of these badboys (way has a sweet deal at the moment). Still looks like a solid product....so long as it has the right program on it at least.

--Matt

The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (05-09-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 06:24 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by mattkosem
It seems like tunes are all the rage these days, but they don't seem to be well enough vetted at this point. I pulled the trigger on one of these badboys (way has a sweet deal at the moment). Still looks like a solid product....so long as it has the right program on it at least.

--Matt

Im more comfortable with a complete ECU reflash than a piggyback tricking engine components to go faster

Old 05-10-2018, 07:55 AM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear

--Matt
Hopefully your unit actually comes with the software installed. Unlike mine which has now been over a month in trying to get working.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:55 AM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Not sure about the Elite, but with the Sport module, the car has to learn it's new limits after installation.

To code your car to start in Sport mode you need the bimmercode app. Check 3rd Gen FAQ.
I found out it wasn't a learning thing, it was a no software loaded thing. It was the the other mods that I had done that gave me a slight boost in horsepower.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:46 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottkenny
I found out it wasn't a learning thing, it was a no software loaded thing. It was the the other mods that I had done that gave me a slight boost in horsepower.
Scott. What’s the story? I continue to have Elite issues. :/ Any codes?

Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Dinan forgot to load the software.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
So, what's the consensus on disconnecting the battery? I see reports of people leaving the key out of range and waiting for the car to go to sleep, and others mentioning destroying the battery terminal. The terminal looks pretty typical. Is it super easy to break or something?

--Matt

Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
So, what's the consensus on disconnecting the battery? I see reports of people leaving the key out of range and waiting for the car to go to sleep, and others mentioning destroying the battery terminal. The terminal looks pretty typical. Is it super easy to break or something?

--Matt
I didn't disconnect battery. Key out of range and sleep.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
So everything by the instructions so they have no reason to invalidate the warranty

Old 05-11-2018, 07:04 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Im more comfortable with a complete ECU reflash than a piggyback tricking engine components to go faster
I normally feel the same way, but the current crop of options available in the US that can be flashed at home doesn't feel baked enough yet. I'll review again in 6 months. This appears to be very reliable and consistent, and is made by a company that has produced stuff like this for all manner of BMW forever with solid results. My car was flashed recently anyways, and it doesn't sound like any of the current tools that don't require shipping the ECU out would work for me at present anyways. I've never dealt with a brand that flashes people's cars as liberally as BMW/MINI do before, but it sure is frustrating.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I normally feel the same way, but the current crop of options available in the US that can be flashed at home doesn't feel baked enough yet. I'll review again in 6 months. This appears to be very reliable and consistent, and is made by a company that has produced stuff like this for all manner of BMW forever with solid results. My car was flashed recently anyways, and it doesn't sound like any of the current tools that don't require shipping the ECU out would work for me at present anyways. I've never dealt with a brand that flashes people's cars as liberally as BMW/MINI do before, but it sure is frustrating.
I gotcha but disagree. I couldn’t be happier with my Bytetronik tune. It is hand and fists above the Dinan sport I had

But to each it’s own, that’s what’s great about cars

Old 05-12-2018, 10:59 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My god the Mini forum is so much more civil than the Corvette forum.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 11:08 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
I gotcha but disagree. I couldn’t be happier with my Bytetronik tune. It is hand and fists above the Dinan sport I had

But to each it’s own, that’s what’s great about cars
Don't get me wrong. I'm 100% tunes all the way. Aside from a JB+, I've never had a piggyback before. It seems like my car, in it's current state, couldn't even get one without sending the ECU out and not having a car for days (and attempting to flash one of them would likely break it, requiring a tow to a dealer to resolve, it sounds like). This car will get a proper flash, just not today

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 05-12-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:16 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Are there any visual signs to look out for that might indicate that the unit is properly loaded? Mine came today. It seems to have the right parts and part numbers, but I did notice that the Mac address on the sticker is all 00s.

--Matt

Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 PM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Unfortunate no signs. I have a boost gauge that is how I knew

Old 05-16-2018, 06:35 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Unfortunate no signs. I have a boost gauge that is how I knew
I'd guess that and no extra power. They get you straightened out yet?

Old 05-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Not yet I am on my third unit soon

Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Not yet I am on my third unit soon
Boy, what a ride. Hope it works out for you.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:27 AM
Azwildcat68
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I am lucky. Have had the Dinan Elite since November and it has been perfect. I have had no CELs and the performance is excellent. Still waiting for the promised cell phone link but otherwise it has been everything Dinan said.