Drivetrain Dinan Comparison: I Thought I was Happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
.....oddly enough, I havent got 100mph in my Mini ever.
Only time I ever drove a car 100+, it burned up. No more for me.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:01 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
One thing I don't feel is 30 hp more at 2500 than the Sport.
I did feel the 30 hp more from stock to Sport.

I am only using 91 octane.
Will head out and get a few gallons of 100 tomorrow.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:44 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
So, at this point in my life most of my driving is in the 65MPH and under category.

Lots of zipping around town or up and down the North OC stretch of PCH. Occasional road trips, but mostly running around at 40MPH and under.

The thing I've been lovin' about the Dinan Sport set in Sport+ (used to keep it in Race with 91 gas but did get that knock during the summer heat so I dialed it back) is the kick in the pants from 0 to 40 or 50.

Only quibble is that wee bit of a non "linear" moment between second and third gear where the car kind of dips, takes a quick breath while everything adjusts and the turbo wakes up, and then off we go. Less noticeable with the car in Sport and the tranny in Sport -- I think the throttle mapping is better when the car is in Sport and the tranny holds gears a bit longer when the tranny is in sport.

I can almost completely eliminate that moment of lag, but it requires a bit harder acceleration -- not all that fun for a passenger of the wifely variety -- though it doesn't seem to bother her when she's driving and putting her foot hard into it.

Anyway, I would miss the off-the-line kick if that were to disappear, and I don't know if the bit of lag is just inherent in the auto shift algorithm or what.

So, as you Elites get some seat time in, please do report on this aspect.

My hundred mile per hour days got left behind when I turned in my Jag XK back in 2014. As did my commuter days of ripping up the freeway 50 miles to the office and 50 miles back. Them days is over.

So tell me again why I need this Elite?

Old 12-02-2017, 06:11 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4

So tell me again why I need this Elite?
To be Elite?

Old 12-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
I don't understand what you are saying here.

Dinan Dyno charts show ;

105 stock
122 sport
135 elite
All at 2500 rpm

Are you saying elite felt like stock at 2500rpm?

Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 PM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Dinan Sport Available?

Originally Posted by Azwildcat68
Installed an elite in my s with the JCW tune kit. I replaced a Dinan sport with the elite and am super satisfied with the performance. Very smooth with instant power that seems effortless. Any body want to buy a sport?
What'ya asking for the Dinan Sport?

Old 12-02-2017, 07:38 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
To be Elite?
Definitely worth $800 right there. Thanks for straightening me out. I got my mind right, boss.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:40 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I don't understand what you are saying here.

Dinan Dyno charts show ;

105 stock
122 sport
135 elite
All at 2500 rpm

Are you saying elite felt like stock at 2500rpm?

Meant torque.

Saying I felt the 30 tq from Stock to Sport.

But I don't feel the 30 extra tq from Sport to Elite

Old 12-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Meant torque.

Saying I felt the 30 tq from Stock to Sport.

But I don't feel the 30 extra tq from Sport to Elite
Could it be related to your comments about the A/T ? Maybe torque is being lost in the transmission programming. Just guessing on that.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:47 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone know what’s the peak boost addition the Elite is adding to the DME boost level?
I have a Dinan Sport unit on my B38 and I’m curious if the difference in power is simply because the Elite is adding more boost than the Sport’s 4psi (Race).
The Elite looks very similar to the JB4, it hijacks 3 sensors: MAP, TMAP, and HP Fuel Rail. I don’t see how it can directly control timing and AFR. It can only add fuel by tweaking the reading of the High Pressure Fuel Rail sensor. As for AFR, the wideband sensor on our engine always runs on closed loop mode hence without flashing the ECU and changing the AFR/fueling target tables, it will try to keep the AFR within the stock target which is 12.5-13 ish at WOT. Same goes for ign timing, which mostly is affected by IAT and knock sensor. Unless the Elite can lower IAT and knock activity artificially, the DME would just follow the stock table.
So, if it’s not controlling timing and fueling directly, I’m trying to understand how does it make more power vs the Sport unit without raising the boost addition?
I’m just trying to learn more about our engine and its tuning options....

Old 12-03-2017, 08:02 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BadakVT
Anyone know what’s the peak boost addition the Elite is adding to the DME boost level?
I have a Dinan Sport unit on my B38 and I’m curious if the difference in power is simply because the Elite is adding more boost than the Sport’s 4psi (Race).
The Elite looks very similar to the JB4, it hijacks 3 sensors: MAP, TMAP, and HP Fuel Rail. I don’t see how it can directly control timing and AFR. It can only add fuel by tweaking the reading of the High Pressure Fuel Rail sensor. As for AFR, the wideband sensor on our engine always runs on closed loop mode hence without flashing the ECU and changing the AFR/fueling target tables, it will try to keep the AFR within the stock target which is 12.5-13 ish at WOT. Same goes for ign timing, which mostly is affected by IAT and knock sensor. Unless the Elite can lower IAT and knock activity artificially, the DME would just follow the stock table.
So, if it’s not controlling timing and fueling directly, I’m trying to understand how does it make more power vs the Sport unit without raising the boost addition?
I’m just trying to learn more about our engine and its tuning options....
And there you have it in a nutshell. Plug in boxes that alter what the DME is "seeing" do just and only that. They do it with various levels of speed and finesse.

One assumes the Elite tricks the DME into more boost, but also gains additional power through better fueling, due to sending altered fuel condition signals.

So, yes, the DME still runs the show in Dinanworld. The Elite just tells the engine management system more and faster lies than the single input boxes do.

But the numbers don't lie -- the result is more usable power without damaging the engine.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:06 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Could it be related to your comments about the A/T ? Maybe torque is being lost in the transmission programming. Just guessing on that.
Programming=shift point
Seems the transmission isn’t seeing the extra power applied, thus
won’t hold gear longer.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Loonysup
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In reading through the posts on dissatisfaction with the Sport, it appears that most of the complaints are related to hiccup at low RPMs or a non linear feel. I’m wondering if everyone that has that feeling has an automatic? I’ve had the sport that I bought from TvPostSound for a week now in my Manual clubman S and I don’t seem to be experiencing either of those issues (and the cut on my palm where the screwdriver dug in to it is almost healed). I’ve been running the Dinan in Sport+ and the car in Sport mode.

Can anyone educate me on the pitfalls of switching to race mode? I haven’t had the guts to try it yet.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Loonysup
In reading through the posts on dissatisfaction with the Sport, it appears that most of the complaints are related to hiccup at low RPMs or a non linear feel. I’m wondering if everyone that has that feeling has an automatic? I’ve had the sport that I bought from TvPostSound for a week now in my Manual clubman S and I don’t seem to be experiencing either of those issues (and the cut on my palm where the screwdriver dug in to it is almost healed). I’ve been running the Dinan in Sport+ and the car in Sport mode.

Can anyone educate me on the pitfalls of switching to race mode? I haven’t had the guts to try it yet.
Yes I have an automatic and rarely do I get any hiccup, never when in sport mode with sport+ running. Race mode caused some stumbles when outside temps were high 90's+ on the highway. I then went back to Sport+ with no repeat of that issue.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:29 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
And there you have it in a nutshell. Plug in boxes that alter what the DME is "seeing" do just and only that. They do it with various levels of speed and finesse.

One assumes the Elite tricks the DME into more boost, but also gains additional power through better fueling, due to sending altered fuel condition signals.

So, yes, the DME still runs the show in Dinanworld. The Elite just tells the engine management system more and faster lies than the single input boxes do.

But the numbers don't lie -- the result is more usable power without damaging the engine.
Bottom line, it all comes down to If/Then, And/Nand/Nor. The only difference is how it's applied and the speed that it does it. It's been so long since I did any programming that I now just consider it all "FM". It's easier that way and my head doesn't hurt as much.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Yes I have an automatic and rarely do I get any hiccup, never when in sport mode with sport+ running. Race mode caused some stumbles when outside temps were high 90's+ on the highway. I then went back to Sport+ with no repeat of that issue.
I've been paying more attention to when the "hiccup" happens. And it really isn't about the Dinan -- seems more about the way the auto tranny shifts. And the amount of throttle being applied, particularly at low speeds when the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd.

I ran in Race for quite awhile and then, like Moocher, retreated to Sport+, which is hardly a compromise. In fact, Dinan has said that Sport+ will provide the best balance.

My issue with Race was in 100+ degree summer LA freeway stop-and-go traffic using 91 pump gas. I'm pretty sure there was a lot of heat soak going on in both the turbo body and in the air cooler. I got a little knock. No codes or warning lights.

Race is great -- you do feel that extra pound of boost starting at 2,000 RPM. It's not quite as smooth as Sport+, and would probably be better with higher octane fuel.

I will say this. On a summer road trip, with triple-digit ambient air temps, at higher altitudes than I usually run (I'm at or near sea level most of the time), and doing some mountain driving over the I5 Grapevine and up into the hills near Yosemite, in Sport+ the car was flawless, and that added boost in the hills was amazing for this little car. It just zipped along and didn't feel pushed at all. 2 adults in front and some luggage in the back compartment -- just the right amount of weight and balance.

I am waiting to hear more from the early adopters of the Elite, but, at this juncture, for the way I drive and the way we use our Clubman, my inclination is to stay with the Sport box then, in a couple of years when my lease is up, see what the world looks like.

But, I'm keeping my mind open. And, Loonysup, there's no reason not to try Race mode, especially with the car in sport mode to get the better throttle mapping. The cooler weather is now in your favor as well.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:53 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Bottom line, it all comes down to If/Then, And/Nand/Nor. The only difference is how it's applied and the speed that it does it. It's been so long since I did any programming that I now just consider it all "FM". It's easier that way and my head doesn't hurt as much.
Yeah. Before I bought the Dinan Sport I did a bunch of back-and-forth Private Mailing with Dinan. Asked a bunch of questions. They were very responsive. And I also had a good chat with Jerry at NM -- great guy.

Finally, Dinan said, basically, "Don't worry about it -- just enjoy the magic."
Probably good advice.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 AM
vetsvette
Depending on conditions and fuel used you could run into pre-detonation caused by excess boost or subpar or too low octane fuel. If that happens the ECU will dial back on timing or fuel or whatever it deems necessary to remedy the situation.
This is why with my car's JCW Pro Tune + NM Module it stays on the low setting. I could run it on high (Race mode on DS) if I could afford 105 octane race fuel on a daily basis.
There have been several occasions documented on the forum where the Sport started failing, causing CEL conditions. To my knowledge Dinan never failed to replace the faulty box.
I haven't read of an instance where the NM caused a CEL.

I'm giving the Elite a try to see if I can squeeze a couple more of those elusive mini-horses out of my car without going with a flashed ECU tune. When my warranty is fully in my rear view mirror I'll probably go for a Manic or Byteronic tune.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:01 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
(and the cut on my palm where the screwdriver dug in to it is almost healed).
The gift of blood is the reason yours is running so well. You made the sacrifice and have earned the joy that will follow.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:11 PM
vetsvette
The gift of blood is the reason yours is running so well. You made the sacrifice and have earned the joy that will follow.
I'm afraid my son in law is gonna have to donate the blood for this project. But there's enough of my leftover DNA from prior projects so I think that'll suffice.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Loonysup
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I live in Florida, so I’ll definitely need to be mindful of the weather. We are supposed to be in 60’s all this week so it’s a great time to give race mode a whirl.

The addition of the Dinan Sport along with all the cool stuff I have activated with BimmerCode makes the car feel just about perfect.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Hmm, I gave no blood.

But I still smile when I had the Sport, and blew a Camaro off on a frwy on ramp light!! Saw it coming, turned off traction control, set car to sport, set AT shifter to Sport plus. Didn't want him seeing my ring turn red!!
Spun the front wheels through 2nd!!!

Im gonna try it (Elite) tomorrow on my Hollywood onramp.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:25 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Hmm, I gave no blood.

Well, you did give blood. You sold your unit to someone else who stabbed himself in the hand with a screwdriver while installing what is, esentially and originally, your Dinan Sport.

So the MINI sport tuning karma kommittee finds that your blood debt has been paid. And the fact that you're blowing away Camaros in close proximity to Forest Lawn cemetery and you have walked away alive from a wrecked MINI probably gives you a few extra immortality credits, though one would suggest that you not push your luck too far.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:26 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I'm afraid my son in law is gonna have to donate the blood for this project. But there's enough of my leftover DNA from prior projects so I think that'll suffice.
Karma Kommittee says that counts. You're good to go.... fast.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
In fact, Dinan has said that Sport+ will provide the best balance.
They do? Do you mind sharing? Im on race w 91 octane and now im curious.