Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Tune with Stock DP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 04:28 PM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Manic Tune with Stock DP?

Hey everyone,

My buddy just got his GP on Manic Stage 2 and sport cat DP and it really rips but it's honestly too loud for my taste.

I've got a 2013 S with second cat and resonator delete and it sounds just how I'd like it.

I have a JB+ and it's been great but I want to go Manic. So, how much Manic can I get while staying on the stock DP? I would have an intercooler, CAI, second cat delete, colder plugs and hot side boost tube upgrade.

I know they claim online that you NEED a sport cat DP to run stage 2, but what about just running Stage 2 Map A (low boost)?

I really rather hit some level of Stage 2 because I am not sure how much benefit I would get going from JB+ to Stage 1. I say that because when his GP was almost stock and my car was almost stock with JB+ I could hang with him up to about 100MPH and the GP is supposed to have over 210 HP factory.

Any advice would be awesome.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:34 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
You’ll see a big difference over JB+ even going to stage 1. Biggest difference between stage 1 and 2 is the catless downpipe. Boost maps are supposed to be the same between 1 and 2.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:59 AM
jackski2
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a stage 1 Manic with intercooler, CAI, colder plugs and hot side boost tube with stock exhaust. It's a big difference and makes the car a lot more fun. I don't track it.

Does your friend also have a different exhaust?

I was going to put a Akrapovic DP on the stock exhaust and go stage 2 but I don't want it too noisy. A little more is ok for me just not over the top.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:26 AM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
You’ll see a big difference over JB+ even going to stage 1. Biggest difference between stage 1 and 2 is the catless downpipe. Boost maps are supposed to be the same between 1 and 2.
See that’s good to know, I was worried I would spend $500 and see no benefit.

I also was hoping to get to stage 2 for extended pop and burbles, but I can live without. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2017, 05:30 AM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jackski2
I have a stage 1 Manic with intercooler, CAI, colder plugs and hot side boost tube with stock exhaust. It's a big difference and makes the car a lot more fun. I don't track it.

Does your friend also have a different exhaust?

I was going to put a Akrapovic DP on the stock exhaust and go stage 2 but I don't want it too noisy. A little more is ok for me just not over the top.
That’s awesome to know because those are basically my exact mods.

My buddy has stock GP exhaust with a Miltek sport cat DP and extended pop and burbles and it’s so loud that he has been pulled over and gotten noise complaints.

I also found that with a sport cat you lose some of the deeper tones to the exhaust which I really like from our MINI’s. Just my two cents.

EDIT: When I did my second cat and resonator delete, it added just enough extra sound, and broadened the top end of the RPM range, it seemed to free up enough flow to pull a few extra hundred RPM’s out of the power band at the top. Just need to find a performance shop willing to remove a cat, or do it yourself.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:45 AM
jackski2
2nd Gear
Excellent thanks for that !

Old 11-19-2017, 11:27 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by NathanMckee
See that’s good to know, I was worried I would spend $500 and see no benefit.

I also was hoping to get to stage 2 for extended pop and burbles, but I can live without. Thanks!
I think you still get additional pops and bangs from the exhaust with Stage 1, but you need Stage 2 to shoot flames out the back.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:04 PM
jackski2
2nd Gear
Pops and bangs on stage 1 are only when in sport mode like a stock car so you can come home late at night without waking the neighbors.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:51 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I would just go with the Stage 1 as that would be better set to having the stock downpipe. And honestly we do more stage 1 tunes than any other.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

Also do NOT run the tune and the JB module together. The tune is designed to change the ECU and the settings to what you want. The JB will be fighting you as it will be sending incorrect signals to the ECU.

Another option would be to go with a catted performance downpipe like the Akrapovic as it will be quieter than a catless pipe, but give you gains.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/akrapo...6-r57-r58.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-19-2017, 08:55 PM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I would just go with the Stage 1 as that would be better set to having the stock downpipe. And honestly we do more stage 1 tunes than any other.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

Also do NOT run the tune and the JB module together. The tune is designed to change the ECU and the settings to what you want. The JB will be fighting you as it will be sending incorrect signals to the ECU.

Another option would be to go with a catted performance downpipe like the Akrapovic as it will be quieter than a catless pipe, but give you gains.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/akrapo...6-r57-r58.html
Hey Way,

I appreciate the advice. I was also curious about what would happen running the reflashed ECU and the JB+, good to know that it would be bad.

Is there any way to get the extended pops and burbles option with stage 1 or is that absolutely stage 2 only?

Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 PM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jackski2
Pops and bangs on stage 1 are only when in sport mode like a stock car so you can come home late at night without waking the neighbors.
Yeah absolutely, I was wondering about getting the extended pop and burble option that my friend has on his stage 2 on a stage 1 reflash. Didn’t know if that was feasable.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:14 AM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I would get a Catless DP and go Stage 2. You can always add a nice glass pack style resonator to your exhaust for pretty cheap to negate some of the extra noise from the DP without sacrificing performance

Old 11-20-2017, 06:05 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't get how folks always seem to recommend catless DP and don't ever mention about passing emissions. Is there some secret tune you can get put on your car to pass because I want to go this route too but don't want the headache of failing emissions time after time. MD will suspend your plates if you fail and don't get the car to pass.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:58 AM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KCLARK
I don't get how folks always seem to recommend catless DP and don't ever mention about passing emissions. Is there some secret tune you can get put on your car to pass because I want to go this route too but don't want the headache of failing emissions time after time. MD will suspend your plates if you fail and don't get the car to pass.
HA that’s what I was thinking. Even sport cat causes CEL’s and is just a lot of hassle for us Emissions people. This is my daily driver, and for as much as I want a lot of power, I rather have a stock DP and pass without issues.

I think if you have a CEL from lack of cat, you have to use the SPS switch to change the map to one of the maps and it clears the CEL or something. My buddy was telling me that.

But that’s also like $200 more, on top of $700 for a sport cat. Pricy, for another marginal bump in power IMO.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 AM
4mikebruns
You can't even really see the main cat anyways. Also the tune will put the rear o2 sensor in an unready status unless flashed to the stock map as well. So..choose your poison I guess...fortunately for me I'm registered in FL, stationed in NJ though.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 AM
4mikebruns
HA that’s what I was thinking. Even sport cat causes CEL’s and is just a lot of hassle for us Emissions people. This is my daily driver, and for as much as I want a lot of power, I rather have a stock DP and pass without issues.

I think if you have a CEL from lack of cat, you have to use the SPS switch to change the map to one of the maps and it clears the CEL or something. My buddy was telling me that.

But that’s also like $200 more, on top of $700 for a sport cat. Pricy, for another marginal bump in power IMO.
Which are you referring to as the marginal bump? The downpipe adds up to around 20whp which is enough to be felt for sure. Without the DP I was running a 14.2 1/4 mile on Map A and after the DP Im running a 13.5 on Map C. I bought the SPS switch just so I could have the option to use anything I choose. You can run a stock DP on Map A and get away with it if you have an intercooler and such to keep intake temps down, but you're not getting the full benefits of your $500 the SPS switch can help you once youre ready to make your DP decision later. Just my .02

Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You lost me on the $200 more, you talking for the switch or for a different type of catted DP? I have yet to see anything that addresses HOW TO PASS emissions with a catless DP, sport cat, or with a 200 CEL cat. Stock is the only DP I know of that passes.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 AM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK
You lost me on the $200 more, you talking for the switch or for a different type of catted DP? I have yet to see anything that addresses HOW TO PASS emissions with a catless DP, sport cat, or with a 200 CEL cat. Stock is the only DP I know of that passes.
Some people here in California simply remove the downpipe and any other mods not within California reqs before they take it in for inspection. Inspections or only required every two years so each person decides wether or not it's worth it to them. You can also use the switch to return to stock mode.