Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Removing the airbox and putting filter on the front

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Removing the airbox and putting filter on the front

Hello everyone,

I was just curious if there is a solution where the piping which brings fresh air from the front of the car to the air box can be just used to bring air right to the turbo. Also a filter can be placed on the front to clean the air. In the picture the pink line would be routing for the pipe coming from the front.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:50 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
i think the design is made to maximized air coming to the turbo. even if you put a "same size" filter, the air flow will be less. not only that, you still need to install the MAF.

What is the benefit of your shortcut?

Old 08-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
i think the design is made to maximized air coming to the turbo. even if you put a "same size" filter, the air flow will be less. not only that, you still need to install the MAF.

What is the benefit of your shortcut?
Well I have seen these other cars which have filters right on the turbo inlet. It just seems strange to make the air travel so far to the back and then come back to front when it could just as easily be filtered a few inches from the turbo itself. I did look into systems that do what I was thinking about and one of them seems to doing pretty well. Link below, but unfortunately its not MAF compatible.

http://www.dnafilters.com/en/product...ON-MAF-VERSION

Also a member who used it wrote a review on it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ng-review.html

I think I will try to DIY this and see what happens.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:51 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Is it worth the extra 5WHP?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Is it worth the extra 5WHP?
Lets see I am not sure if I could even get an extra 5 whp. But I know it will be fun to try.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:00 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,378 Posts
In the review thread, he saw basically NO gains with that style intake, so why bother with it? Get a K&N and be done. Or better yet, get an AEM or DDM which includes a scoop duct. There are many other mods and upgrades that are more worthwhile.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
In the review thread, he saw basically NO gains with that style intake, so why bother with it? Get a K&N and be done. Or better yet, get an AEM or DDM which includes a scoop duct. There are many other mods and upgrades that are more worthwhile.
Well over stock air box there is definitely gains, but not over the K&N system he was running.I am gonna try to make my own with the MAF in the mix and see what happens.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:05 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray167
Hello everyone,

I was just curious if there is a solution where the piping which brings fresh air from the front of the car to the air box can be just used to bring air right to the turbo. Also a filter can be placed on the front to clean the air. In the picture the pink line would be routing for the pipe coming from the front.

No air filter just straight outside air to the Turbo via pipe diagram....wanna be a test pilot

First off anything sucked in will be chewed up in the blades of the turbo. All the sand and dirt will eat up the turbo bearings ( eventually ) that is if it outlasts the engine .....

Then there's the MAF wire....no getting past that.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:00 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Check out this thread: http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...nls-r56-25947/

he uses the stock filter box... probably the most Torque and HP out of any R56 anywhere (except maybe OldBrokenWind here on NAM.)

Go ahead and do it if you have to scratch that itch, but that's not where the power is found.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Ray167 (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Well that's interesting. Haven't seen it before. How's heat in that area?

Old 08-24-2017, 04:00 PM
RYANR56
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have the time, give it a try! Don't pay any attenention to the negative. Every once in a while, someone comes up with a better idea then what is out there. Personally, I love the sound of my intake. It is very talkative! LOL

Old 08-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Originally Posted by randeez
Wow thats a very custom looking pipe from the turbo to the MAF. I ordered a silicone reducer and should have it in a few days. Where did you get yours made? I was just gonna drill a hole for the PCV hose in the MAF sensor housing, but your pipe looks a lot better.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:24 PM
randeez
4th Gear
It's a piece no longer in production from forge, was marketed for a Peugeot 208gti (same n18 engine).
Forge said all remaining stock went to a tuning shop in france, thats who i bought it from. Would have to dig back through emails to remember.
it throws a MAF code for high flow, manic 2 suppresses it

Old 08-24-2017, 11:35 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
Well that's interesting. Haven't seen it before. How's heat in that area?
Filter is right where the cold air tube comes through the grill, extended idling it will climb up but no worse than the stock box and pipes. Bumper to bumper traffic crawling it only goes up maybe 10* over ambient.
My car only has stage 2 tune, seems like it could use a little more fuel right off idle in the tune but it's not bad driving

Old 08-25-2017, 07:19 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Filter is right where the cold air tube comes through the grill, extended idling it will climb up but no worse than the stock box and pipes. Bumper to bumper traffic crawling it only goes up maybe 10* over ambient.
My car only has stage 2 tune, seems like it could use a little more fuel right off idle in the tune but it's not bad driving
Oh yea you're local. I was wondering about the cold air tube.

I currently have the K&N intake with the same Vibrant dry flow filter you have. Opened up the hood scoop a little so air hits it well on track days.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ran into the cowl cover. Still fresh air IAT's right at ambient. Sounds awesome.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Ray167
1st Gear
It's a piece no longer in production from forge, was marketed for a Peugeot 208gti (same n18 engine).
Forge said all remaining stock went to a tuning shop in france, thats who i bought it from. Would have to dig back through emails to remember.
it throws a MAF code for high flow, manic 2 suppresses it
So when you say the code is for high flow do you mean the sensor sees too much air coming in and it dosnt like it?

Thanks

Old 08-25-2017, 09:28 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
Oh yea you're local. I was wondering about the cold air tube.

I currently have the K&N intake with the same Vibrant dry flow filter you have. Opened up the hood scoop a little so air hits it well on track days.
The cold air tube is removed also

Originally Posted by Ray167
So when you say the code is for high flow do you mean the sensor sees too much air coming in and it dosnt like it?

Thanks
With the tune it doesn't seem to care, even if I switch back to stock map with the code thrown it drives the same. I'm guessing the ecu has a set of MAF flow numbers per rpm/speed it monitors . With the hybrid turbo the MAF is maxed out much of the time

Old 08-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
randeez I forgot to ask how did you attach the expansion tank to the back. Did you make a bracket for it and drill a hole into the plastic part on the rear of the engine bay. What kind of screws did you use?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2017, 09:38 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Yep, I had some 1/8" aluminum plate just an almost 90* bracket eith a couple of spots cut out for clearance of the tank. Attached with 10-32 machine screws, fender washers, lock nuts

Old 09-02-2017, 03:32 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Semi finished job

Ok so here is my progress up to now in the first picture. I did run into three problems, the first that the diameter of my air filter is 6" which is too big and interferes with the large diameter coolant hose. This you can see in the second picture. I ordered a K & N filter that should resolve that problem. The second issue I have is that after removing the noise maker I couldn't find a proper cap sized for the hole left in the charged piping. In the third picture you can see that I took some thick plastic and clamped it on the opening. This will be a temporary fix until I get some fancy new charge piping. In the last two pictures you maybe able to tell that there is a small hole for the crankcase venting pipe where the filter is. Since the opening is half a circle I am pretty sure I cannot find any kind of filter to fill it in. I am thinking of using some high temperature silicone to patch up that area.

Entire work.

Air filter interfering with the coolant pipe.

Small hole left in the crankcase venting pipe.

Small hole left in the crankcase venting pipe.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Ok so an update on my setup. A few minutes after running the engine with the high flow filter I got the CEL light which I am pretty sure is the result of the MAF sensor having too much air flowing through it. So as a result my Mini is running pretty crappy. The low end power has pretty much disappeared and the car feels like its a NA engine. I talked with Randeez about it hoping that a tune would solve the problem and unfortunately all it does is turn off the CEL light with no change to the MAF problem. I also did a google search for the MAF problem and ran into an old post on NAM https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-made-31.html. It was 31 pages which I read through and the best solution people were talking about was an elbow before the air filter in order to smooth out the air flow. The elbow wouldn't work for me because I have no room to fit one in so I am just going back to stock and look into aftermarket air box instead.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:57 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Also, venting to atmosphere causes more oil consumption/loss.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:39 PM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I plan on moving the expansion tank like you did to tighten up my intake a bit. I have more mods are plan on doing, that will support the room I need for this, so this has been on hold for a bit.

Since a bend seems to be ideal before or after the MAF I curved it around the way I did so that the filter can be up front. This is what I did temporarily.