Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Last round of mods - Mynes bytetronik tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Hingis
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Last round of mods - Mynes bytetronik tune

Hi all, I have a 2005 R52, and been slowly upgrading things over time. Unfortunately I am at altitude at 5000ft plus elevation, so my numbers will always be quite a bit lower. Just returned from making a few purchases at bytetronik and completed installing them, it involved new ATI 2% super damper, Mynes V2 header, 550cc injectors and the FA53 tuning software with the custom remote tune, as I am still learning the tuning story. Intersting enough before installing this gear I was at 189WHP and when doing some data logs now to send off for the remote tune I felt the car was definitely down on power. You would think adding headers and a 2 % crank pulley in the mix would liven it up more, albeit without a tune. Just waiting for bytetronik to send my new tune over and see how she does from there. Once I have the new tune, then will be installing the 550cc injectors and then of course further tuning to get that dialed in. Super keen to see what the final numbers will be. On a side note, my analog boost pressure gauge which is currently reading boost post intercooler in the horn is at about 16 psi where as my data logs through the obd port using the FA53 software is only registering 13psi. Is this normal or is there some leak happening from the horn to the map sensor? BTW my butt dyno was semi-confirmed with the lower power now than before these mods as right now running the virtual dyno software I am at 167WHP.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Keep us advised on how you end up and whether it was all worth it.

Going to move you to the Mod area as there is some good stuff here.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:04 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
It's normal for them to not be exactly the same, esp with your altitude, plus, you're reading from locations so close that I really couldn't see a leak not effecting both positions.
As far as your butt dyno, yes making those changes without tuning will change things, so don't get caught up in that.
While the virtual dyno program isn't that accurate, it can be pretty close when setup properly (remember to create a profile based on your cars parameters) the real benefit of the program is, as long as you don't change the setup parameters between pulls, it will give you a good idea of increases and decreases in your power as things progress. Just remember, besides all the setup parameters, temp will also effect things, so don't freak out if you see lower numbers with warmer temps.
I'm a huge fan of real world tuning (instead of dyno) so good luck, be careful and enjoy.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 08-18-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:12 AM
gsfent
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
I'm a huge fan on real world tuning (instead of dyno) so good luck, be careful and enjoy.
Just curious, isn't real world tuning ON the dyno? I am also doing some remote tuning soon and my experience has always been live tuning on the dyno is best when available.

Regards,
Jerry

Old 08-18-2017, 10:37 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gsfent
Just curious, isn't real world tuning ON the dyno? I am also doing some remote tuning soon and my experience has always been live tuning on the dyno is best when available.

Regards,
Jerry
My philosophy has always been that "real world" or "on road" tuning is just more accurate, actual true air flow with actual weight and stress on the entire vehicle effecting the engines performance.
I'm just of the camp that dyno tuning, while effective and proven, is still a replacement for not being able to use a track or real world scenarios, to pull your data from.

The following 2 users liked this post by BlwnAway:
CSP (08-24-2017), gsfent (08-19-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Hingis
2nd Gear
@BlwmAway thanks man, yea I set the profile with weights etc so the virtual dyno is as good as possible. Guess I am just used to bolting on stuff and seeing and feeling the difference immediately without having a tune done. I guess I have reached the limit of the stock tune now and hence throwing the tune in at the end to get the best possible result and of course to get the 550's in the mix. Yes nothing like proper data logs with all parameters available for the guys to fine tune and get the best possible results.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hingis
@BlwmAway thanks man, yea I set the profile with weights etc so the virtual dyno is as good as possible. Guess I am just used to bolting on stuff and seeing and feeling the difference immediately without having a tune done. I guess I have reached the limit of the stock tune now and hence throwing the tune in at the end to get the best possible result and of course to get the 550's in the mix. Yes nothing like proper data logs with all parameters available for the guys to fine tune and get the best possible results.
Yup, that's something that is just the nature of the beast, many times you choose early mods that can really wake things up, and later, fine tuning and smaller changes can tend to be less apparent, but at least with the virtual dyno you'll actually be able to see the progression.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:44 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Did you go with a different cam?

Old 08-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Hingis
2nd Gear
No I havnt, have been checking it out, but seems quite costly for 10hp?

Old 08-19-2017, 02:43 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
One thing people tend to forget with Cams is not only may there be HP gains, but where the power is made in the RPM band.
So swapping Cams, and more importantly which Cam, should really be determined by your potential use of the car. A change in a Cam, can completely change the manors of the vehicle, so keep this in mind if you do decide to make this swap, esp with forced induction and different cam profiles. My different steps in Cam changes and adjustment made the car a new experience every time.
That being said, at least with the ByteTronik tuning solution, if you do decide to do this, the re-tuning will be a minimal issue compared to installing and trying to get the car to a dyno and tuner.

Oh, and from experience, if you do decide to start playing with the idea of a Cam change, don't forget about the option of an Adjusted Cam Gear, it can be a very good, mid priced option, before an actual Cam Swap. The introduction of one with the stock Cam in my car, really added some low end torque and made the car a lot of fun to drive in low to midrange RPM driving.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Someone should educate me, but without a different cam profile to get more air in/out of the cylinders, why would you put 550 injectors on?

Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Hingis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Someone should educate me, but without a different cam profile to get more air in/out of the cylinders, why would you put 550 injectors on?
@BlwnAway thanks for sharing, some great info there. @r53coop actually there is more air going in from smaller SC pulley and larger crank pulley, resulting in a lean mixture from the stock tune and running the injectors above normal duty cycle. Also have the jcw exhaust and new mynes v2 header that just went on. So definitely better flow happening.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:16 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
@BlwnAway thanks for sharing, some great info there. @r53coop actually there is more air going in from smaller SC pulley and larger crank pulley, resulting in a lean mixture from the stock tune and running the injectors above normal duty cycle. Also have the jcw exhaust and new mynes v2 header that just went on. So definitely better flow happening.
Oooooo.... Enjoy the exhaust, I think the v2 and JCW exhaust is one of the best sounding combos I've heard, esp if you can find a tunnel or long underpass....lol

Old 08-20-2017, 04:55 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Sorry I just cannot see 550s without the benefit of a better cam to get more volume in and out. Had a school we were building where we had to tie into an existing water main. Main had all sorts of pressure so shut the valve off and made the connection. Opened the valve up and it was taking for ever for the new line to fill up. Come to find out the 8" line had a bunch of crud in it so there was only about a 1" hole actually open. All that pressure but there was no volume. I am thinking you are going to have a similar situation, lots of pressure but without bigger valves, or the valves being open longer, you are not going to get allot more volume.

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 08-20-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Hingis
2nd Gear
I hear you r53coop, however do we know what the max pressure is for the stock head/cam, before we hit this "wall" if I was at X psi boost before header install making eg. 200whp and now with headers which has lowered boost pressure but power goes up eg. 20whp due to increased crank pulley size and decent tune, but my boost but pressure has remained roughly the same as before the header because of the increased crank pulley size. In a nut shell my boost pressure is remaining the same as before, but have got more power because of the header and now a tune, my jcw injector duty cycle was about 83% before, so with the new power and tune that would definitely increase that and generally you don't want your injector duty cycle above around 80%, and this on the stock Rev limit.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Hingis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Oooooo.... Enjoy the exhaust, I think the v2 and JCW exhaust is one of the best sounding combos I've heard, esp if you can find a tunnel or long underpass....lol
Thanks I have read about it being the best combo, for now I have the cat off completely and left the race kit in place so think it's going to be loud, it's a new install and havnt driven much yet apart from the datalogs for the tuning, but cant wait to go find those tunnels! Dying to go pro the rear at night to and see if it shoots them flames haha.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I hear you r53coop, however do we know what the max pressure is for the stock head/cam, before we hit this "wall" if I was at X psi boost before header install making eg. 200whp and now with headers which has lowered boost pressure but power goes up eg. 20whp due to increased crank pulley size and decent tune, but my boost but pressure has remained roughly the same as before the header because of the increased crank pulley size. In a nut shell my boost pressure is remaining the same as before, but have got more power because of the header and now a tune, my jcw injector duty cycle was about 83% before, so with the new power and tune that would definitely increase that and generally you don't want your injector duty cycle above around 80%, and this on the stock Rev limit.
Would think some of the tuner folks can provide more info on the matter.

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 08-26-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:44 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Would think some of the tuner folks can provide more info on the matter.
Only if they are paid. It is closely guarded witchcraft.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:57 AM
Hingis
2nd Gear
Did you go with a different cam?
Well am in london for couple days so I have just ordered the catcams camshaft from 1320..hope it arrived by tomorrow as promised.. Can't wait to get that baby on..

As an update still waiting on bytetronik to complete the tuning.. Been a bit of a process. Looking forward to final numbers then getting the cam on.. Ps has anyone just slapped on the upgrade cam without a tune and seen reasonable results? Or do you really need a retune to get the best, I guess that's pretty obvious

Old 11-20-2017, 10:46 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
No, with the mini, it needs to be tuned.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:12 AM
Hingis
2nd Gear
Super stoked, shout out to Paul at 1320 organising overnight shipping. The bad boy has arrived

Attached Thumbnails Last round of mods - Mynes bytetronik tune-20171121_120447.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 05:00 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
without an idle rpm bump it'll be lumpy

Old 11-21-2017, 05:02 AM
Hingis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
without an idle rpm bump it'll be lumpy
Thanks, I'm sure the bytetronik boys will sort that issue out

Old 11-21-2017, 11:35 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Super stoked, shout out to Paul at 1320 organising overnight shipping. The bad boy has arrived
Your Mini has gone over the cliff of no return.

There is nothing wrong with that if that is what you want.

For me I am threading one tiny step forward at a time, slowly. I treasure the driveability on the road, but still want good performance on the track. The balance is not easy. After all, the lap time with HPDE is between the beast and me, but more of my ability.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Hingis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Your Mini has gone over the cliff of no return.

There is nothing wrong with that if that is what you want.

For me I am threading one tiny step forward at a time, slowly. I treasure the driveability on the road, but still want good performance on the track. The balance is not easy. After all, the lap time with HPDE is between the beast and me, but more of my ability.
Oh the day I bought her it was a point of no return.. I don't think I have ever owned a thing without it being modded one way or another.