Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Help with Turbo upgrade/exhaust match to avoid backpressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 AM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with Turbo upgrade/exhaust match to avoid backpressure

Hello, I'm sorry if the topic has been discussed often, but sounds I'm in a kind of peculiar situation for which I cannot tell which turbo will fit the role...

So, here my thermal configuration:

-2013 MCS R56 N18
-Akrapovic full exhaust: 63,5mm (2.5") downpipe (with sport 100 cells cat converter) and 60mm cat back exhaust.
-K&N air filter (open intake)
-Forge intercooler
-Manic ECU tune

I'm considering the following upgrade:

-Forge Blowoff valve
-ported JCW manifold

and...new turbo, with billet wheel and special ball bearings.

About the turbo I'm looking for an increase of HP, sure, but I like the idea of getting something more than a stock JCW, at least in terms of mechanical reliability (bearings and wheel)

Now, I contacted Owen (following Manic suggestion) and they suggest the following:

P/N 53039880163
Stock turbo with a billet 63.5mm compressor wheel for 500-1000rpm advanced spool, 7° cut back exhaust wheels and motorsport bearing upgrade for durability. 330BHP £1,635.39+vat

Question is, will this turbo destroy my engine?

despite not being the same as a i.e. 3" empty pipe, the Akrapovic exhaust adds *some* further flow capability compared to stock, so I really would like to make a full use of it...I would be ok if not reaching the turbo full potential but I have to be sure I'm not gonna hurt the engine. :(

Thanks *so much* guys!!

Edit:

I did ask to Owen and here is the response:

"We just build and supply the turbo. I recommend you contact an engine builder to get your questions answered as we have not run this unit on a stock engine or any engine. We have not run the turbo ourselves on any engine. You can run the turbo on a stock engine. You will not get the most from the turbo if you do so."

..engine builder anyone?

Edit:

it is my understanding a K03 is what I need, and while not specified I guess the Owen is a K04...too much probably.

I was really interested in the JM Coopers S42 turbo (JCW K03 with different billet 42mm compressor, bearings and porting service) but asking around I received negatives comments, one of which being Chinese parts...anyone had experience to share?

Last edited by Carrboroman; 06-27-2017 at 07:19 AM. Reason: extend
Old 06-27-2017, 10:39 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Owen's turbo would be my choice. Yes, it's overkill, for now, BUT the added power you'll get is addictive, and eventually you're gonna want more. With Owen's turbo, you'll have the capacity to grow, and you won't wear it out before you add more mods.

I have a friend with an Owen's turbo. He's running OEM internal engine components and has dyno charts showing 300+WHP. I've been running a bigger Garrett turbo since 2011, with 300+WHP, and only rebuilt the internals in 2016. Keep the boost below 22PSI and there should be no damage caused by the turbo.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Owen's turbo would be my choice. Yes, it's overkill, for now, BUT the added power you'll get is addictive, and eventually you're gonna want more. With Owen's turbo, you'll have the capacity to grow, and you won't wear it out before you add more mods.

I have a friend with an Owen's turbo. He's running OEM internal engine components and has dyno charts showing 300+WHP. I've been running a bigger Garrett turbo since 2011, with 300+WHP, and only rebuilt the internals in 2016. Keep the boost below 22PSI and there should be no damage caused by the turbo.
Thanks, it makes perfectly sense, but "should be no damage caused by the turbo" is what all my post is basically about.

It is my understanding that an exhaust not giving the turbo adequate flow (restriction) , not only will penalize performances, which may be ok, but will introduce backpressure, which will certainly damage the engine, OEM internal or not.

I'm pretty confident you or your friend are using a decat downpipe (maybe 3"?) am I wrong?

Also, Manic has a specific Owen file, so this makes me think they are pushing that turbo more, given the well known quality and reliability.

I'm in contact with Manic as well, as I think they may have a more complete picture about turbo/exhausts combos, i.e. Martyn has exactly my configuration, but they are kinda busy and slow on responses...(also, they were supposed to come with their own turbo a year ago..)

I'm not looking to change the exhaust, which I love, especially for being not loud as this is my everyday car, and I'm gonna be fine with ending with less power (i.e. with a JCW stock replacement) but I'd like to understand if there is something out there that will be ,even slightly, better than a JCW stock, both mechanically and with the right flow for the exhaust.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:13 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Yes, I'm running a 3" catless exhaust --- I'm a firm believer in allowing an engine to breathe! And I'm not that familiar with the friends exhaust system --- he's based in AZ and I'm in NV, but you're probably correct that it's bigger than OEM.

I understand your concern about backpressure, but how much is too much??? Any muffled or catted exhaust system will introduce backpressure. Any turbo itself also introduces backpressure, just because of the way a turbo functions. The trick is to have an engine that's designed for it. All way over my head!

Best of luck choosing your turbo ---

Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Yes, I'm running a 3" catless exhaust --- I'm a firm believer in allowing an engine to breathe! And I'm not that familiar with the friends exhaust system --- he's based in AZ and I'm in NV, but you're probably correct that it's bigger than OEM.

I understand your concern about backpressure, but how much is too much??? Any muffled or catted exhaust system will introduce backpressure. Any turbo itself also introduces backpressure, just because of the way a turbo functions. The trick is to have an engine that's designed for it. All way over my head!

Best of luck choosing your turbo ---

Thanks, if this project would have been a 100% fun track car, I'd have used the same downpipe for sure... but in this case the issue is keeping it balanced, of course despite loosing some HP.

Sounds more and more obvious I should pick a JCW stock, the Akrapovic is definitively allowing more flow than the JCW exhaust but better safe than sorry..that's ok, my only regret is not having a billet wheel and bearings... suggestions are welcome! (also really interested in feedback about the JM Coopers S42 turbo)

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2017, 07:58 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm running the Akrapovic exhaust with a Frankenturbo F21M. Headed to a Mustang dyno next Thursday for a custom tune. Will post charts thereafter.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 AM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
Thanks, looking forward to it!

I think it would be great having access to the Akrapovic flow data...not sure if they will share, but it is worth contacting them.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
hi, any comment on the mini mania options?

http://new.minimania.com/ss/ENGINE-TRANS_NM,SC_TURBO_NM

seems the ported K03 "quick spool" turbo may be close to what I'm looking for....are these Chinese turbos?

Thanks!