Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New exhaust for 2008 Mini Cooper S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:32 PM
paultu1985
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New exhaust for 2008 Mini Cooper S?

I'd like to get a catback exhaust system that adds some noise under acceleration, lowers the exhaust note to a rich mean sound, doesn't drone, and adds a bit of BHP.

My current favorites are the Quicksilver Turbo catback and the Borla Type-S catback. Any recommendations? Favorites? Concerns?

I don't plan on doing many other serious mods or a larger turbo. Maybe a CAI eventually, but that's about it.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Well there isn't any HP in just an exhaust so don't buy based on that.

The Borla is just a rear muffler system as it is just a rear section. The Quicksilver does replace it all but ask around about the sound as it wasn't our favorite. We do carry both of them but for value for dollar the Invidia is good bag for the buck as it's a complete exhaust connecting to the factory downpipe and goes all the way back. Fits fine, and good sound
https://www.waymotorworks.com/invidi...haust-r56.html

Others are either just muffler sections too, or more expensive.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-27-2017, 05:29 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Buy one that fits up to the downpipe so you don't have to cut anything. As Way said, the Invidia exhaust is probably the best bang for your buck.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 AM
paultu1985
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound clips?

Thanks both! Great feedback! I'd always assumed "catback" meant the first cat, but now that I'm looking, yep, most of those are just a mid pipe to the 2nd cat.

Anyone have good sound clips of what the Invidia Q300 sounds like on a stock down pipe on a 2007-2009 Mini Cooper S? If I recall correctly, Mini made some changes in the 2010+ that make it sound different.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:32 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
For the most part it's gonna sound the same.

I have the Q300, and it does drone a bit. I added a Vibrant resonator to it and it solved the issue, and it was still overall cheaper than a Borla or Quicksilver. I have a few video but I did a catless downpipe shortly after do most of what I have is with a turbo-back. Catless downpipe just makes it louder though.

Shitty video with stock downpipe:

Driveby with catless downpipe: /p/BMPGpkeDNi9/

Another catless driveby: /p/BGipqPBBHKL/

On the dyno: /p/BSCgvC4BuMO/

EDIT: Okay so NAM doesn't like instagram links so just add those extensions to instagram.com