Drivetrain Anyone running water meth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:53 PM
Andrew Park
2nd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone running water meth?

I've been tinkering with the idea of running water meth using the Cooling Mist set up Berger tuning is selling since the JB4 is fully set up for it. Has anyone installed or know of anyone who has installed water meth in the Mini F56 (B48)? Also anyone know a good location in the factory charge pipe to drill/tap the injector? I've spoke to Terry at BT and he said since not a lot of people have done it and since it's hard to mount the nozzle to go with a single CM7 nozzle to start.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:08 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Very interested if anyone knows. Maybe a company can make a spacer with meth bungs. Will make life so much easier.

I ran meth on my R56. Probably will do it eventually on my F56.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 AM
Andrew Park
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Very interested if anyone knows. Maybe a company can make a spacer with meth bungs. Will make life so much easier.

I ran meth on my R56. Probably will do it eventually on my F56.
Very few have done it yet after talking with BMS, Aquamist, and Howerton about the F56. There's really no guide right now. I'm going to take the plunge next week and most likely go with the Coolingmist Trunk mount kit since I think it should fit under the recessed part of the trunk and stay hidden and I'm running a JB4 which has WMI integration. After talking with Terry from BMS he said instead of going with dual CM5 nozzles to go with a single CM7 to start. I think I'm going to tap post intercooler on the end tank to fit the injector.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:18 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes. Exactly.

I'm hoping we can find a solution to fit the tank and pump flushly under the trunk lid. That would be perfect.

Update us with what you come up with.
I really hope someone can make a spacer with a bung, drilling is somewhat of a pain.

On my R56 I drilled post intercooler and before IAT sensor so I can see the temps drop below ambient temperature.
It was really cool and my way of knowing the meth is flowing.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:20 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi guys, good to see a WMI discussion here.

I've got a kit sitting in my garage which consists of:

1) Devil's Own Stage 1
The reason I went with them was because they offer a full braided stainless steel lines with full -4AN fittings. Just get the Stage 1 (basic) because we'll be using the JB4 to control the WMI. The F56 needs around 2.5-3.0 GPH according to their nozzle calculator. I've got DO2 and DO3 and will see which one runs better.
DO1 @ 200PSI 1.41GPH
D02 @ 200PSI 2.83GPH
DO3 @ 200PSI 4.24GPH
DO4 @ 200PSI 5.66GPH

2) 300 PSI Solenoid w/ AN Fittings
To integrate with BMS JB4's FSB. I bought the FSB direct from BMS.

3) Devil's Own 1/8" NPT Nozzle Adapter
To tap into the rubber hose/pipe post intercooler. You could also buy those aluminum piping from Ebay with NPT bung built in for an easier/cleaner install. Replacement OEM hose is cheap and could be found easily on ebay when you need to go back to stock.

4) Hardwares for Custom Tank from Summit Racing:
- Fuel Cell Cap (One-Way Valve Ventilated)
- 3/8" Welded Female Bung (Tank output line)
- 90 Degree -4AN Swivel Fittings
- Adapter -4AN Male to 3/8" Male (Tank output to meth pump)
- Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant

I'm trying to build a custom tank that sits underneath the false floor in the trunk. The pump should fit in the tool/tire sealant compartment. Currently still designing the baffles and sizing the volume of the tank. Trying not to add too much weight to the car.
Of course if you're okay with installing a trunk mounted tank, everything would be much more straightforward.
Now we just need a Meth map from Terry. Preferably with the same/slightly more boost than Map2 but with all the WMI settings pre-saved. This way switching from Map1/Map2 for daily driving to Map3 (Meth) would be a breeze.

Let's keep the discussion going!

Old 02-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Andrew Park
2nd Gear
IIRC I believe Terry said the JB4 is programed for water meth I believe on map 3 like the N54 platform for BMW. Settings should be able to save as long as you are programming it through a laptop or the BMS Bluetooth adapter. I think the BMW settings are like +2 psi for 91oct and +3 psi for 93. The FSB should turn down boost as a fail-safe if it detects a sudden change in voltage output from the pump. I think running a flow gauge as another fail-safe would be smart considering the FSB only reads voltage but not actual liquid flow through the lines.
A custom plastic trunk tank like BMS has for the BMW would be perfect. Can I ask why you chose the Devils Own kit over the BMS cooling mist kit? Was it just for the stainless lines/fittings for leaks?

Old 02-21-2017, 08:42 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew Park
IIRC I believe Terry said the JB4 is programed for water meth I believe on map 3 like the N54 platform for BMW. Settings should be able to save as long as you are programming it through a laptop or the BMS Bluetooth adapter. I think the BMW settings are like +2 psi for 91oct and +3 psi for 93. The FSB should turn down boost as a fail-safe if it detects a sudden change in voltage output from the pump. I think running a flow gauge as another fail-safe would be smart considering the FSB only reads voltage but not actual liquid flow through the lines.
A custom plastic trunk tank like BMS has for the BMW would be perfect. Can I ask why you chose the Devils Own kit over the BMS cooling mist kit? Was it just for the stainless lines/fittings for leaks?
You're correct on Map3, Andrew. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that on our F56 firmware, Map3 is still inactive. Once there's enough demand for it I'm sure Terry will finalize Map3. So maybe at this point we'll still be using Map2 but with the meth features turned on.

Custom plastic tank would be the best option (fitment and weight) but I doubt anyone will produce it just because there's lack of potential buyer. I'll be making mine out of stainless steel sheet. Probably looking at a 1 gallon tank which would weigh at least 10-15 pounds total when full.

Yes, the reason I went with the DO kit was mainly because of the stainless line and AN connections. From my research, most of the basic components from different vendors are equal in quality. The difference is in their flow control and safety systems. Some nozzles are better than others but you're free to buy other vendor's nozzles if you must.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Andrew Park
2nd Gear
Vetts is correct. The rubber piece is attached to the firewall. Just lean in with you head and see where the pedal touches the firewall. That spot will be touching the small rubber clutch stop.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:12 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff Howerton said some people have purchased the R56 HFS-4 aquamist kit and are running it on the F56. Maybe someone who has done this can chime in. I would like to run Howerton's HSF-4 aquamist kit, but I don't like the trunk mounted tank and pump (I don't want to hear that pump every time it activates).