Drivetrain Cravenspeed Adjustable Shift Lever 2016 F55 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 04:35 AM
minimojoF55
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cravenspeed Adjustable Shift Lever 2016 F55 Cooper S

I recently installed the CravenSpeed adjustable short shifter and ****. The difference is like night and day.

Prior to mod:
The MINI shift **** (on the gen 3) has to be the most uncomfortable shift **** available.
Very loose shifts, lack of positive feel, occasional difficulty getting into the correct gate when driving aggressively.
I don't know why OEM's typically have a long throw shifter, especially in a sporty vehicle. (but good for the aftermarket I guess)

Post Mod:
Very comfortable shift ****, good feel in the hand.
Very precise gate engagement, very tight and positive feel. I believe some of this is due to the replacement "housing bushes" eliminating that vague feel.
On a negative note, its a little harder to get into reverse especially at its shortest travel.

Install was relatively easy but instructions on shift lever retaining clip removal and snapping off the ball linkage could have been a bit clearer. Caution needs to be used when popping out the gear lever from shift linkage as its easy to bend the linkage.

I tried using the CS shift retainer but had a problem with the shifter not going into reverse and damaged the retainer so I used the factory retainer. I sent an e-mail to CravenSpeed and to their credit they responded quickly, offered suggestions and a full refund for the retainer. Their Customer Service can only be rated as OUTSTANDING.

Overall very satisfied and a great boost to the driving experience and confidence especially when driving at the limit of performance.