Drivetrain Bytetronik ECU Flash/Tune for the F56 B48 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Mimaki
Do you have any dealers in Australia that can do this flash?
f54 JCW Clubman auto... I believe the auto box is newer/stronger in the F54?
We do not have any dealer set up in Australia at this time.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:22 AM
GFB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
Our Shop 2015 JCW-Auto has been put through all sorts of tests for the past two years and the auto gearbox has no issue handling this torque level. And the drive-ability is superb (even better than stock)
So, read through the whole thread, but still have questions. Let's assume I'm bone stock ECU now in a 2015 JCW auto. I don't need multiple maps, I only need one tune for 93 octane. e85 is a pain in the butt to find for me, so no need for it. In RARE occasions, my only option is 92 octane (wtf, WaWa?).

If I understand your site (https://www.bytetronik.com/services/...es-ecu-tuning/), I need a JB4 for any of the four options. If I only need one map, I'm in option A or B? What's the difference between the two

Also, let's say I have a 1/4 tank of 93 octane and am forced to put in 92 to get to another station that has 93. How bad of a situation is that?

Whichever option you steer towards based on the above, how does it work when it has to go in for service and the dealer flashes the ECU?

Old 09-16-2017, 07:46 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
you don't need a JB4 for all of the options...the JB4 isn't required at all...there are just fans of the JB4 that dont' want to give it up, but would also like the tune, so BT offers a tune that can be paired up with the JB4. from what i understand, they do not mess with the boost in those options because the Jb4 handles that. they'll adjust the other parameters under the assumption that the JB4 will increase boost by X amount. Last thing you want is to increase boost via a tune and have the Jb4 increase more on top of that.

for your option, i'd imagine you want Option B, which is is a tune all by itself that does not require anything else. Option C is a nice to have as it does give you the option to load up a map (should you wish) down the road.

if the dealer flashes the ECU, you do have to send the ECU back to them in order for them to "patch it" so that a map can be uploaded. in your case, you'd send it back so that they can tune it again (should you go with option B).

Old 09-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GFB
So, read through the whole thread, but still have questions. Let's assume I'm bone stock ECU now in a 2015 JCW auto. I don't need multiple maps, I only need one tune for 93 octane. e85 is a pain in the butt to find for me, so no need for it. In RARE occasions, my only option is 92 octane (wtf, WaWa?).

If I understand your site (https://www.bytetronik.com/services/...es-ecu-tuning/), I need a JB4 for any of the four options. If I only need one map, I'm in option A or B? What's the difference between the two

Also, let's say I have a 1/4 tank of 93 octane and am forced to put in 92 to get to another station that has 93. How bad of a situation is that?

Whichever option you steer towards based on the above, how does it work when it has to go in for service and the dealer flashes the ECU?
For Remote customers, we only sell the Package C (Stage 1 Flash with OBD2 Flash module). We are running a 20% off Special at this time and this package is only $795 + Shipping (instead of $995).

The major plus of having a custom tune from us is that we retain the 'fail-safe' features of the ECU mapping. In case you run into a bad tank of gas, the engine protection parameters will kick in and it will default to the safe timing map to cope with the lower octane.

Having the OBD2 Flashing module gives our remote customers a lot of flexibility. Let's say for instance the Pop and burbles are too much for your liking, we can simply email you a modified map and you can flash it into your ECU in your driveway in about 2 minutes. This is a major plus to all of our remote customers who are not local to the Austin, TX area.

Before you send in your ECU, we suggest that you get your ECU and other computers updated to the latest software thus avoiding any software over-ride in the near future.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:10 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
10/23/2017 Update
Finally had a chance to take the car to the track last week. I've had the tune now for a few months so i'm used to the throttle response. Reminder: my last track event was using a custom tune that caused me to overboost excessively (26-29psi). Going into this track event, i haven't experienced any overboost so i felt better going WOT under load.
One of the things i noticed was on my previous tune it felt sluggish exiting out of a turn. Now the sluggish is minimal to nonexistent. exiting a turn in 3rd gear produces a better response. Before, i'd have to go down to 2nd gear, which lead me to hitting redline almost immediately.

Lastly, and this was a personal achievement, I have not been able to top out more than 123MPH at this particular track. I was able to top out @ 129MPH on the front straight. Car pulls so much better to the point where i needed to adjust my braking zone. My tires were done (8th day on R-compound tires) so my times were slower than last event but i just put on some fresh NT01's. Hope to try to make it back to the track before winter gets here.

Here's a video of my best lap of the day (Thursday, October 12th).

All in all, i feel so much happier with the Bytetronik Tune vs my previous tune (unnamed custom tuner). These guys know what they're doing and i don't feel concerned about the car being pushed beyond its limits.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:46 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
For Remote customers, we only sell the Package C (Stage 1 Flash with OBD2 Flash module). We are running a 20% off Special at this time and this package is only $795 + Shipping (instead of $995).
Did prices go up? Here you state that Stage 1 with the OBD2 module is on sale for $795 but on your website it's listed on sale for $995.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:54 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
10/23/2017 Update
Finally had a chance to take the car to the track last week. I've had the tune now for a few months so i'm used to the throttle response. Reminder: my last track event was using a custom tune that caused me to overboost excessively (26-29psi). Going into this track event, i haven't experienced any overboost so i felt better going WOT under load.
One of the things i noticed was on my previous tune it felt sluggish exiting out of a turn. Now the sluggish is minimal to nonexistent. exiting a turn in 3rd gear produces a better response. Before, i'd have to go down to 2nd gear, which lead me to hitting redline almost immediately.

Lastly, and this was a personal achievement, I have not been able to top out more than 123MPH at this particular track. I was able to top out @ 129MPH on the front straight. Car pulls so much better to the point where i needed to adjust my braking zone. My tires were done (8th day on R-compound tires) so my times were slower than last event but i just put on some fresh NT01's. Hope to try to make it back to the track before winter gets here.

https://youtu.be/ZvPpA51roJY

All in all, i feel so much happier with the Bytetronik Tune vs my previous tune (unnamed custom tuner). These guys know what they're doing and i don't feel concerned about the car being pushed beyond its limits.
Awesome footage! Surprised you got away with 29psi without harm lol. 6mph is a huge difference on the straight!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
10/23/2017 Update

https://youtu.be/ZvPpA51roJY

Thanks for the track feedback and the awesome video. Glad to see someone who can actually put the extra HP & Torque to good use on the track (may it be Road Race or 1/4 Mile track)

Originally Posted by trentiles
Did prices go up? Here you state that Stage 1 with the OBD2 module is on sale for $795 but on your website it's listed on sale for $995.
Sale price is still active: $555 Stage-1 Tune; $240 for OBD Flashing module (but this sale may end in Nov) + shipping... so get in before the sale ends.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Black friday special!

**Black Friday Special** Two units only at this price...

Send us your ECU... $725 for the Stage-1 Flash with the FlashAccess OBD2 module. Return shipping is addional.

Email us for details: info@bytetronik.com
​​​

Old 11-27-2017, 02:59 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Currently with a JB4 installed, unlike other "piggybacks", the JB4 installs between MANY different sensors. MAF, MAP, Fuel Rail, etc... So the sensor now goes to the JB4 and JB4 to computer. JB4 is the middleman. Now the JB4 is able to manipulate many sensor data to increase boost/fuel and what not with its own integrated "maps".

Now when you install an ECU tune. You run the JB4 in a "pass through" mode. All data goes right through the JB4 without manipulation (if you wish). The JB4 is now there for you to "monitor" everything. Safety systems within the JB4 are still integrated since data needs to pass through the JB4. Say your car AFR leans out, overboosts, fuel pressure low, meth flow low, the JB4 will bump you to a safety "low boost" map every time (map 4) to save your engine from damage. JB4 also has cold/hot oil protection built in. So you will have stock like boost until oil temps are over 160 degrees or for oil temps over 280 degrees.

You can still use the JB4 to hijack your gauges for map switching on the fly, or using your fuel gauge as a boost gauge (examples). The JB4 can change your throttle mapping for a linear experience. If you are having trouble putting power down, you can us the JB4 to limit boost and set a boost target for first, second, and third gear (Via in dash controls, JB4 mobile app, or JB4 application on computer). You can use the JB4 to run a meth injection system with your car (Can set up parameters to when to engage/disengage via JB4 software). Use the JB4 to read and delete trouble codes on the fly. On the BMWs, the JB4 will run the No Lift/2 step systems. You can use the JB4 to be in charge of fueling for E85 mixes or be in charge of whatever parameter you want.

The JB4 is pretty damn cool, and I am happy to have a sophisticated management system for my car that I feel is a bargain in price with all the support and features it offers. Makes me feel better, and wish I had support on my R56 for this! Especially running a bigger turbo, standalone meth injection system, and messing with E85 mixes. I would have a much better peace of mind lol.
I'm sure I missed a lot more features from the JB4 but thats the jist of it.
For further enhancement of data i can only recommend the BMW or Drivedeck app, which tells you a lot of driving, besides its a perfect video device as well

Facebook Post

Iam runing 3 OBD Dongles, and using kind of a splitter at a easy to change position, before you get spasm to find the port in the dark.

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 11-27-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Full OBD2 flashing on the MINI F-series has been completed successfully and it's ready for prime time. Sign up sheet here for the Group Buy (see link below).

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...latform-2.html

Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Dealer inquiries welcome.

Complete OBD2 Tuning solution now available for the MINI F-Series (without ECU Removal)!!!

Old 07-29-2018, 03:53 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This thread has not been updated in awhile. I am interested in the tune. I am currently running a Mini Pro Exhaust, a Forge FMIC, and will soon have a “race” downpipe”. Oh and I am using a NM power module, but I can easily remove that and put it on my wife’s 2018 Countryman S All 4. Plus I run exclusively on 100 octane race gas, thanks to a 76 station 5 mins from my house.

I’m interested to hear from Bytetronik on what types of gains I can expect. So once again my power mods: (I have a 2016 f56 JCW)

Mini Pro Exhaust (Bluetooth deactivated)
Forge FMIC
Racing downpipe ( yet to select brand, but ready to order)
100 octane gas

Old 07-30-2018, 04:48 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by normtrum
This thread has not been updated in awhile. I am interested in the tune. I am currently running a Mini Pro Exhaust, a Forge FMIC, and will soon have a “race” downpipe”. Oh and I am using a NM power module, but I can easily remove that and put it on my wife’s 2018 Countryman S All 4. Plus I run exclusively on 100 octane race gas, thanks to a 76 station 5 mins from my house.

I’m interested to hear from Bytetronik on what types of gains I can expect. So once again my power mods: (I have a 2016 f56 JCW)

Mini Pro Exhaust (Bluetooth deactivated)
Forge FMIC
Racing downpipe ( yet to select brand, but ready to order)
100 octane gas
100 Octane would get an easy 20 HP over 93/91 octane. What HP are you making right now with the NM?

Old 07-31-2018, 05:35 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Nothing for the B36/B38?

Old 07-31-2018, 05:44 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by NBCGLX
Nothing for the B36/B38?
We do have a tune for the cooper... see link below. What year is your Cooper and when was the last time the ECU got updated at the dealership?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...he-cooper.html

Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 AM
spotted
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Has anyone notice a difference in idling since the temperature is starting to change?
Wasn't getting a CEL or any hard codes but was getting P0171 when I did a scan.
So I changed my Mass Airflow Sensor and cleaned the Intake. Still getting the rough idling.
I did email ByteTronik a few weeks ago twice with a log and didn't receive a reply.

This part is just a question: Is there another map for cooler seasons?

Old 10-29-2018, 11:38 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by spotted
Has anyone notice a difference in idling since the temperature is starting to change?
Wasn't getting a CEL or any hard codes but was getting P0171 when I did a scan.
So I changed my Mass Airflow Sensor and cleaned the Intake. Still getting the rough idling.
I did email ByteTronik a few weeks ago twice with a log and didn't receive a reply.

This part is just a question: Is there another map for cooler seasons?
Nope, no issues here. We've been down to 29 and had snow a few times and the only warning I ever got was to reset my TPMS sensors when It got cold.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:47 AM
spotted
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Nope, no issues here. We've been down to 29 and had snow a few times and the only warning I ever got was to reset my TPMS sensors when It got cold.
OK good.
They replied, so checking to see there's something in the log. Or it can either be the BP or intake.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:13 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
There you go. They will take care of you.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:43 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Bytetronik Cyber Monday HOT Flash Event!!

Cyber Monday HOT Flash Sales Event!!
We have teamed up with iAutowork for some crazy Cyber Monday Hot Flash special for all MINIs: $450 for Stage1 Tune (no hardware included) for either R53*, R56 or F56 (optional dyno time is only $100).

*Note:
  1. R53 owners, the tune must be done in-house at our location in Austin.
  2. R56 and F56 owners can come to our shop or send in their ECUs.

FullAccess (FA53) Tuning Kits for the R53 are at their lowest price ever (for the DIY'er who want to tune his own MINI) => BUY FA53 Tuning Kit now!

Reserve your spot by contacting "info@bytetronik.com" (for Austin area) or "iautowork@gmail.com" (for Dallas area). Remote customers, please contact us for additional info.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
2018 Bone Stock F54 Clubman with Stage-1 Tune

We completed a tune on a 2018 Clubman S-Auto (8 speed tranny) and the results are quite good. The car is BONE STOCK with only the Stage-1 tune added, running on Shell 93 Octane. Since it was a newer model, we had to bench flash the ECU to patch it for OBD2 flashing, then created the map for it, then flashed it today. That's why the dyno runs were done one week apart.

Gained +40 WHP & +42 WTQE on just a Stage-1 Flash.

The following users liked this post:
bratling (02-15-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 12:01 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
We do have a tune for the cooper... see link below. What year is your Cooper and when was the last time the ECU got updated at the dealership?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...he-cooper.html
Would you believe I'm just seeing this now?! My car is a 2019 F57 B36, and the car has only been at the dealer once, about 3 months ago. Can't say for certain, but I don't think the ECU was flashed at that time.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:12 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by NBCGLX
Would you believe I'm just seeing this now?! My car is a 2019 F57 B36, and the car has only been at the dealer once, about 3 months ago. Can't say for certain, but I don't think the ECU was flashed at that time.
For the later model years (2018 and 2019), the ECU needs to be bench flashed to apply the patch in order for OBD2 programmable. PM for details. Tks.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
2019 TAX Refund Sale!!!

Need to spend your tax refunds wisely? Check out the sale we are having on the FlashAccess kit for your F56 MINI. ONLY $495 for the flash* (or $650 for the flash with the OBD2 Module).

https://bytetronik.com/store/mini/f-...by-bytetronik/

*Note: If you choose the flash-only option, you will need to come to our shop physically or mail in your ECU to us. On the later model 2018 and 2019 F56, ECU mail-in is required to 'unlock' the ECU for OBD2 flashing.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Bytetronik ECU Flash/Tune for the F56 B48 MINI