Drivetrain NM Powermodule VS ECU Tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 06:46 AM
Cmoney
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NM Powermodule VS ECU Tune

Ok so I have a 14 s hatchback. I've been looking into getting a Powermodule from nm, but at the same time I want to spend the extra money and get a real ECU tune. I just want to know how many of you are going from the power module to a real tune and how do you like it. I'm new to this forum, this is my first post😋 il put some pictures of my volcanic orange mini a little later

Old 03-08-2016, 08:31 AM
ThunderDolphin4
Neutral
On my mini I first got the powermodule drove it around for a bit and loved it, it makes a huge difference except for 3rd gear (3rd gear has extreme turbo lag). Then not even a week later i got one of the tuning kits put it, drove it around for a bit, and then put the powermodule back in as well because from what i can figure out, all the powermodule does is essentially trick the the thermostat into adding something like 5psi boost. The tuning kit and the powermodule together turned my car into a total beast, this thing pulls like crazy now

Old 03-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Cmoney
Neutral
Originally Posted by ThunderDolphin4
On my mini I first got the powermodule drove it around for a bit and loved it, it makes a huge difference except for 3rd gear (3rd gear has extreme turbo lag). Then not even a week later i got one of the tuning kits put it, drove it around for a bit, and then put the powermodule back in as well because from what i can figure out, all the powermodule does is essentially trick the the thermostat into adding something like 5psi boost. The tuning kit and the powermodule together turned my car into a total beast, this thing pulls like crazy now
What exactly is the tuning kit? And how much was it?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:37 AM
ThunderDolphin4
Neutral
the tuning kit is an exhaust and an ecu reflash. I got a good deal because i worked at a mini dealership when i got it installed, i believe the exhaust itself was like $1800 and labor was like $120. I think that at customer price the exhaust is like $2200 with the optional exhaust tips and labor you'd have to call a dealership to find out exactly. I love the kit but i would say unless you have a labor hookup at an authorized dealer, get a remus race cat back ($1800) install it yourself and get a tune from somewhere else. hope this helps

Old 03-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Cmoney
Neutral
Yeah well I just bought the power module, I'm waiting for it to come. But I think I'm gonna end up going with an ECU re flash from a local shop down here in Miami. You were happy with the power module, but it just wasn't enough for you?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:52 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
The JCW Pro tuning kit is what he's talking about. It doesn't void your warranty because it's a OEM option. It can he had for various prices if you shop around. My Indi mechanic got the kit for me for $1550 and I paid him a couple hundred to install it. I had the power module before that and I thought it made a significant difference. On the stock engine I ran the module on the high setting using 93-94 octane and had no problems. I actually thought it pulled in 3rd better than my old R56 did in 2nd. Since getting the tune I run the module on the low setting (3.5 pounds) because the tune adds some boost already and an additional 5 pounds of boost (high setting) on top of that is too much for pump gas. But, as said, the combo of the tune + module is a real power multiplier.