Drivetrain Unboxing Remus Race Exhaust (V2)

Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Unboxing Remus Race Exhaust (V2)

After contemplating at the different exhaust options in the market, I decided to go with the new version of Remus exhaust for F56S/JCW.

The design is very similar to the OEM JCW Tuning Kit. I didn't get the JCW kit because where I live, there's only one dealership serving the whole country. I'd have to flatbed my car for about 350 miles. Not to mention the prices are outrageous coming from the dealer. Tried getting the JCW kit shipped from Europe was also a problem because of it's size (muffler and mid-pipe are one piece).

I wanted a valve system because the wife also drives the car every now and then.

My car is Euro-Spec so AWE, NM, etc would not fit the Euro downpipe without adapter.

So before I install it this weekend, I took some measurements:

Stock exhaust weight: 16.7kg/36.8lbs
Remus V2 weight (with tips, controller, etc): 13.7kg/30.2lbs
Piping OD: 70mm
Muffler tip OD: 60mm

I think the muffler tip OD would be a useful info for those who are planning to buy the Remus system and not wanting to spend 400-500 dollars for carbon tips. You may use that size to get similar generic carbon tips on the web (without the Remus logo) for much cheaper. I didn't have this info beforehand so I had to stomach the carbon tips' outrageous pricing.

Pics:

Close Up of the welds:

Actuator:

I looked up the actuator and it's made by a European company and is specifically made for exhaust systems. It's probably quite reliable, but if anything would go wrong it would be this thing or the controller box first.

More pics and hopefully soundclips after install this weekend!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 AM
DAVIDLEERAD
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BadakVT
After contemplating at the different exhaust options in the market, I decided to go with the new version of Remus exhaust for F56S/JCW.

The design is very similar to the OEM JCW Tuning Kit. I didn't get the JCW kit because where I live, there's only one dealership serving the whole country. I'd have to flatbed my car for about 350 miles. Not to mention the prices are outrageous coming from the dealer. Tried getting the JCW kit shipped from Europe was also a problem because of it's size (muffler and mid-pipe are one piece).

I wanted a valve system because the wife also drives the car every now and then.

My car is Euro-Spec so AWE, NM, etc would not fit the Euro downpipe without adapter.

So before I install it this weekend, I took some measurements:

Stock exhaust weight: 16.7kg/36.8lbs
Remus V2 weight (with tips, controller, etc): 13.7kg/30.2lbs
Piping OD: 70mm
Muffler tip OD: 60mm

I think the muffler tip OD would be a useful info for those who are planning to buy the Remus system and not wanting to spend 400-500 dollars for carbon tips. You may use that size to get similar generic carbon tips on the web (without the Remus logo) for much cheaper. I didn't have this info beforehand so I had to stomach the carbon tips' outrageous pricing.

Pics:

Close Up of the welds:

Actuator:

I looked up the actuator and it's made by a European company and is specifically made for exhaust systems. It's probably quite reliable, but if anything would go wrong it would be this thing or the controller box first.

More pics and hopefully soundclips after install this weekend!
Very nice!

Old 01-22-2016, 06:55 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting. Yes, please, on the followup posts.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:59 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Old 01-28-2016, 06:50 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds very "sophisticated" I'd say. Not boomy or tiny, nice exotic sound

Old 01-28-2016, 08:37 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Looks and sounds so good! REMUS is nothing but quality. Believe they have the chrome exhaust tips option HERE. Thanks for sharing.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-28-2016, 03:49 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Thanks guys for the positive comments!

After driving with the exhaust for a week, here're my observations:

1) Fit and finish was great. Installed it myself in my garage without any hiccups. All hardware were included and of very good quality. It was surprising that all of the clamps were still German-made, good stuff!
2) Driving around town leisurely, there's little difference between valve open and closed. Entirely different story when you stomp on the throttle though, much louder with the valve open.
3) With valve closed, no droning even when in normal D(automatic tranny) mode and low rpm driving.
4) With valve open, slight drone when driving in D and low RPM. Valve open is best driven with S (sport auto) mode or Manual mode. It's pretty much only when the engine is bogged down that it drones.
5) With valve open and sport mode, the exhaust pop and crack (backfire) are very loud. I'm concerned about the safety of others because it really sounds like gunfire when it backfires. I can definitely see it being a big distraction for pedestrian or cyclist especially during city-driving. I wonder if there's a setting to reduce/tune it down from the software. For now, I only drive with the valve closed in the city.

Overall, the exhaust has served its dual purpose (volume-wise) as intended and I'm very happy with the sound. I'll put some more mileage and update you guys again soon.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:52 PM
ravioliworld
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question on these valved exhausts. Do you have to set the valve to your desired open position every time you turn the car on? Or will the valve stay in its last commanded position? Asked another way, does the valve always close whenever you turn the car off (either due to a spring-loaded default position or the actuator resetting to a default position on poweroff)?

Old 11-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
It stays open unless closed with the button.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
REMUS Exhaust

Some background info on REMUS:

http://new.minimania.com/REMUS_Sport_Exhaust

And an application guide:

http://new.minimania.com/part/NME114...Remus-Race-R53

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:08 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice looking, how much was it?>

Old 11-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Lt. Dan
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very cool! Rowdy when the valve is open!

Old 01-22-2017, 03:52 AM
Cascadeur
Neutral
Originally Posted by BadakVT
Thanks guys for the positive comments!

After driving with the exhaust for a week, here're my observations:

1) Fit and finish was great. Installed it myself in my garage without any hiccups. All hardware were included and of very good quality. It was surprising that all of the clamps were still German-made, good stuff!
2) Driving around town leisurely, there's little difference between valve open and closed. Entirely different story when you stomp on the throttle though, much louder with the valve open.
3) With valve closed, no droning even when in normal D(automatic tranny) mode and low rpm driving.
4) With valve open, slight drone when driving in D and low RPM. Valve open is best driven with S (sport auto) mode or Manual mode. It's pretty much only when the engine is bogged down that it drones.
5) With valve open and sport mode, the exhaust pop and crack (backfire) are very loud. I'm concerned about the safety of others because it really sounds like gunfire when it backfires. I can definitely see it being a big distraction for pedestrian or cyclist especially during city-driving. I wonder if there's a setting to reduce/tune it down from the software. For now, I only drive with the valve closed in the city.

Overall, the exhaust has served its dual purpose (volume-wise) as intended and I'm very happy with the sound. I'll put some more mileage and update you guys again soon.
That is a fantastic post. I was really looking for this, I have my 1-month old JCW and searching the the market for a 'valvetronic' cat-back exhaust system.
I have 2 questions:
1. I understand that the Remus Valvetronic has 4 available positions for its valve: closed, 10% open, 50% open and fully open. Isn't that true? I am bit concerned by your comments for the loud bangs and pops. Your video posts confirms your comments!

2. So the default position for the valve is 'open' ? Than means you need to close it with the remote button to have your everyday rides in the city? That could be weird.

Thanks so much.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Thanks for the pics they look great. It's great that you love it as it really is the best exhaust for the F56 we've been keeping them in stock.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/remus/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more