Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain cold side tubing mod..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:09 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry about the "window" auto correct... I like the "wind" better. Lol

The thing I saw but have no proof was the IAT temp drop with the stock cooler. I had the install for a day before I drive to Az to drop the car off at EuroTech to get all the goodies put on. Wagner intercooler was one of them. I'm now seeing the same differential with the new cooler so it's hard to say the gain with just the piping.
No matter the findings that will be hard to prove without a major test plan the fact that 2 pinch points that act like orifice plates creating pressure drops are eliminated. ( one is at the 90 by the motor mount and the other after the sensor ) . This HAS to be an increase in aiding flow.
All the talk and concern for cooler specs of pressure drop and flow.... Fixing the OEM piping falls into this as well.
I think it will really show on the bigger turbo installs

Old 03-31-2016, 12:42 AM
Zachary O'Hare
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love this post. Once I do my timing service, I will say you have inspired me to fab up something similar. I saw that tube the first time and my immediate thought was "You are kidding me right? That's the best they can do there?" May not be massive power gains, but everything in a motor comes down to thermal efficiency, and this can only help. It would be difficult to measure by how much unless it was SUBSTANTIAL without some sort of bench testing mechanism where other variables could be eliminated, and the driving force is some controlled motor/blower.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:36 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Thanks for the remarks, I fell like it is worth it. Each crimp in the OEM tubing causes a pressure drop and forces the turbo/engine to work harder to get the target psi at the intake.
butt dyno and IAT showed a gain but I did not get any logs to prove it.
Building the same setup for another NAM guy and hopefully we can get some testing of before and after. Doing away with one of the silicone hoses in the new design as well.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Zachary O'Hare
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
Thanks for the remarks, I fell like it is worth it. Each crimp in the OEM tubing causes a pressure drop and forces the turbo/engine to work harder to get the target psi at the intake.
butt dyno and IAT showed a gain but I did not get any logs to prove it.
Building the same setup for another NAM guy and hopefully we can get some testing of before and after. Doing away with one of the silicone hoses in the new design as well.
Sweet! You have inspired me to improve the piping filter to throttle body. Began working on an intake and airbox today, picking up some alumiweld tomorrow to attempt to make some intercooler piping I have sitting around work. I'd like to shape it into a large "u" ish shape over the left side, then cut it where it is straight for straight couplers for easy removal/back to stock in the future, that way if I ever get my dang timing service done, I can start stacking up dyno sessions. would certainly like to do a before and after of intake/charge pipes, as I feel they compliment each other.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:13 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
hope to hear about your findings

Old 01-23-2022, 07:10 AM
Bgolden20
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you think you could run the piping from under the car maybe you could fit a bigger pipe

Old 12-10-2022, 11:36 AM
sloR56S
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick question, I plan on doing the DIY MOD of the cold side piping. When reading The post, I didn’t get the size pipe you used as well as what ply fittings. 2.25 or 2.5? Anything will help on this.