Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 11:12 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by DGI
night and day!!!
^This!Night and day is right!I had my ECU tuned by Mario today, and it is freaking awesome! Whole different animal now. Do yourselves a favor and quit wondering! Pull the trigger and email Mario for a tune, you will not regret it!
And like everyone else has said, his customer service and support is top notch. Over the last month or so, Mario has done more than answering all of my stupid questions, he also informs with that answer, I have learned several things about tuning, Mini’s, etc. from talking with Mario. Once, when I didn’t think that my question was worth bothering him with, I asked about something on these forums. Well, Mario saw my question and texted me an answer!
After talking with even just briefly, his enthusiasm and knowledge make it very comfortable to hand off your ECU and say “go to town” without worrying about it. And he delivers! The tune is fantastic! It’s a whole new beastie now!
Thanks Mario

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 07-31-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:54 AM
carpecervisi
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anyone had a Manic tune and switched to an RPM?

I had Mario's DP and a Stage 2 Manic tune on my 2012 MCS convert and loved it. I have an '09 JCW R56 now and am trying to understand the differences. I haven't reached out to Mario yet, but how comparable are the price, performance and functionality of the two?

I've still got my SPS switch laying around somewhere...

Old 08-01-2018, 12:16 PM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by carpecervisi
Has anyone had a Manic tune and switched to an RPM?

I had Mario's DP and a Stage 2 Manic tune on my 2012 MCS convert and loved it. I have an '09 JCW R56 now and am trying to understand the differences. I haven't reached out to Mario yet, but how comparable are the price, performance and functionality of the two?

I've still got my SPS switch laying around somewhere...
I did....sorta. I had Manic Stage 2 and then installed a JMTC S42 turbo. Ran the car on Stage 2 tuning for about a week and then sent it back to Mario for RPM Stage 3. So not necesarilly an apples to apples comparison. The car made 255whp/292tq on Manic stage 2 with the S42. I havent had a chance to get it on the dyno since the new software but my OBD2 estimates 274whp pretty consistently and when I was stage 2 it would range from 248-260whp estimated so it was actually not far off for what it was. Right now im trying 3.5gallons of E85 with the rest 93 octane and so far the car feels much happier, just about as good as race fuel which makes Map C come alive for me. (23psi) Since I came from Manic liek you would be the SPS switch can still be utilized for 3 different maps.

The following users liked this post:
carpecervisi (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:07 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns
I did....sorta. I had Manic Stage 2 and then installed a JMTC S42 turbo. Ran the car on Stage 2 tuning for about a week and then sent it back to Mario for RPM Stage 3. So not necesarilly an apples to apples comparison. The car made 255whp/292tq on Manic stage 2 with the S42. I havent had a chance to get it on the dyno since the new software but my OBD2 estimates 274whp pretty consistently and when I was stage 2 it would range from 248-260whp estimated so it was actually not far off for what it was. Right now im trying 3.5gallons of E85 with the rest 93 octane and so far the car feels much happier, just about as good as race fuel which makes Map C come alive for me. (23psi) Since I came from Manic liek you would be the SPS switch can still be utilized for 3 different maps.
Just want to clarify... the SPS switch still works with the RPM tune?

Old 08-01-2018, 02:09 PM
4mikebruns
Originally Posted by njaremka

Just want to clarify... the SPS switch still works with the RPM tune?
mine does. I believe Mario can only do that if you're coming from Manic to RPM.

njaremka (08-02-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:05 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Had another great experience with Mario. Finished up the install of my JMTC Stage 3 clutch kit today and Alice is back up and running like a champ. Hit up Mario a couple months ago for a clutch kit after some spirited mountain driving left me with a slipping clutch running Manic Stage 2C (after already placing and cancelling an order over the winter for a clutch over an issue that wound up resolving itself, oops). Very communicative about my concerns making a DIY job out of it. Will be coming back for a turbo and Stage 3 tune in the coming months.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by thebombardier
Had another great experience with Mario. Finished up the install of my JMTC Stage 3 clutch kit today and Alice is back up and running like a champ. Hit up Mario a couple months ago for a clutch kit after some spirited mountain driving left me with a slipping clutch running Manic Stage 2C (after already placing and cancelling an order over the winter for a clutch over an issue that wound up resolving itself, oops). Very communicative about my concerns making a DIY job out of it. Will be coming back for a turbo and Stage 3 tune in the coming months.
thank you for the review. Glad your Mini is up and running. Now that you have a clutch that can handle the power, you know can consider my 400HP kit 😉

DGI (08-20-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 05:44 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
thank you for the review. Glad your Mini is up and running. Now that you have a clutch that can handle the power, you know can consider my 400HP kit 😉
I need reliability for my daily lol, that exhaust manifold is pretty sexy though. I am curious how the RPM tune functionality compares to Manic though. Is it still 3 switchable power levels plus stock map or do they structure it differently? I'm thinking your 43mm turbo plus a 93 octane map even though I'm on meth, I just want that buffer of safety on the octane. Also this is gonna be a winter project, I'm all tapped out of spare cash for this year :/

Old 09-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Takezo007
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Mario!

I am a new customer and couldn’t be happier. Mario is incredibly knowledgeable and service-oriented. He explains the options for what you’re looking for and answers all the questions you’re bound to have.

I recently had Mario do a stage 2 RPM tune on my 2015 Countryman All4 S. It’s absolutely amazing. I will be going back to him for everything for Mini tuning and performance. If you’re thinking about upgrading your Mini, contact Mario right away. You’ll be glad you did.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:21 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Takezo007
I am a new customer and couldn’t be happier. Mario is incredibly knowledgeable and service-oriented. He explains the options for what you’re looking for and answers all the questions you’re bound to have.

I recently had Mario do a stage 2 RPM tune on my 2015 Countryman All4 S. It’s absolutely amazing. I will be going back to him for everything for Mini tuning and performance. If you’re thinking about upgrading your Mini, contact Mario right away. You’ll be glad you did.
When did you get it done?

Old 09-03-2018, 04:33 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

When did you get it done?
You installed the downpipe on his Panda 😉

Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I thought that was him! Lol

Old 09-03-2018, 05:02 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
All of those guys are loving their new tunes!

Old 09-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I got my RPM S2 tune after reading all reviews here, contacted a couple owners via pm, and exchange about 9 gazillion texts with the man himself. I always done tons of research before i make a decision. I had a JB+ came with the car. I had it removed drove it stock for a few weeks and finally ready for his tune. I was going to ship the ECU to him and wait, turned out he was in town to tune another 15 cars. on the day of the tune, I showed up on time, he was surrounded by a handful of guys all eager to pick his brain. A friend of his "Benny" from Philly really nice guy helped me to remove strut bar, installed new plugs and pulled ECU all at the same time. The tune took a short while, but eventually it was installed. Sadly it was rainy, even with decent treads on tire, I didn't WOT immediately after the tune. It was until yesterday I truly open her up on a wild open highway, before 7 am, Holy sheet, is this my car? really? like everyone mentioned, power/torque comes on every gear, linearly, no lack. Next mod will be dp from his shop, then new rotors and hawk pads, like his said, the grin/ factor $ ratio is unbelievably high!! Thank you!

Old 09-12-2018, 04:49 PM
4mikebruns
Originally Posted by Gelmobile
I got my RPM S2 tune after reading all reviews here, contacted a couple owners via pm, and exchange about 9 gazillion texts with the man himself. I always done tons of research before i make a decision. I had a JB+ came with the car. I had it removed drove it stock for a few weeks and finally ready for his tune. I was going to ship the ECU to him and wait, turned out he was in town to tune another 15 cars. on the day of the tune, I showed up on time, he was surrounded by a handful of guys all eager to pick his brain. A friend of his "Benny" from Philly really nice guy helped me to remove strut bar, installed new plugs and pulled ECU all at the same time. The tune took a short while, but eventually it was installed. Sadly it was rainy, even with decent treads on tire, I didn't WOT immediately after the tune. It was until yesterday I truly open her up on a wild open highway, before 7 am, Holy sheet, is this my car? really? like everyone mentioned, power/torque comes on every gear, linearly, no lack. Next mod will be dp from his shop, then new rotors and hawk pads, like his said, the grin/ factor $ ratio is unbelievably high!! Thank you!
wait til you get the DP on and turn up the tune.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns
wait til you get the DP on and turn up the tune.
It was also great get to meet you and a few other fellow MC owners too! good times all and all! So true down p and up tune, gonna be a blast!

Old 10-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Joe Brown r56
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Thank you both, for the great reviews, . I was fortunate enough to be able to take the "leap of faith" and do something I love. I'm looking forward, to help make some fast Mini's.
DP's for N14/N18 F56 and Manic Tunes
How can I get my hands on one of these amazing DPs? I was driving my r56 around PA and found someone who recommends your work. I’d love to do business with you!

Old 10-06-2018, 08:47 AM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
pm sent

Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 PM
mikeBURRITO
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new car... At Least it feels that way

I want to start out by saying I am a long way from home. I live in Wisconsin but am currently in Arizona for a period of time. I remember that the forums recommend Mario for tuning and most notably his downpipes. I messaged Mario and got a quick response about getting my 2010 mcs tuned to stage 2. I figured I'm nearly to California I could just drive there. Fortunately he was in Arizona so we met up and was able to program my car. I will say that it made my mini act like a whole different animal. Granted I still have a catted down pipe .... I have to drive 1800 miles to get home. I will like to say that I had the best experience with it because it was done quickly and professionally. I would definitely recommend going with Mario for your tuning. I was nervous at first but now I'm glad I did.

Do your upgrades and pull the trigger... You won't be disappointed. Now I have tire spin through 2nd on dry pavement. Crazy.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:03 PM
2012_R60
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello all. I wanted to share my review with Mario and RPM tune. I had it done a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to experience the difference for a while before I shared this. I have 2012 R60 manual FWD and I went with stage 2 with upgraded IC and catless DP. Mario's service is impeccable as experienced by everyone else. Extremely knowledgeable, very prompt to respond and my kid really appreciated the bag of candies included with the return of the ECU! I would also like to point out that he paid extra to ship me the ECU during the holiday, but of course USPS dropped the ball. I hope you got your money back!
This is my daily driver so I didn't want a tune that is constantly ***** to the walls wearing down the tires, engine etc. If you're careful with the pedal you can easily maintain a fuel consumption in the mid 20s mpg, although let's be realistic that will not happen, at least at the early stages. The throttle response is much better than stock, I feel it is something in-between the stock vs stock sport mode. OF COURSE the overall curve is completely different. Like other people pointed out it is amazing how when the boost hits, it spools up to 20psi and stays there till basically redline. And the boost by load makes the daily driving experience a joy. So I would describe the overall engine performance that it purrs like a kitten at low revs and pulls like a mother at WOT. So if you're considering it, just do it! Especially if you have a bigger/heavier mini like mine. You have to realize that the stock engines are tuned for the hardtop. So we're loosing a considerable power/weight ratio.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:13 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Been Stage 2 for a couple months now, still loving it!

Turning on "Sport" and disabling traction control completely will really wake up the throttle response

An added bonus is that when i'm behaving, my OBC shows an estimated range of almost 500 miles to the tank!!! LOL

Old 11-19-2018, 07:19 AM
carpecervisi
2nd Gear
Finally got around to installing my MKDP and this happened. FML.

I’m hoping my local shop, who originally quoted me over $900 to do the work, will take pity and drill that bolt out for me. I’m not sure what Mini used for loctite, but I assume it’s some type of alloy made of Adamantium and Mithril. Damn!!

Last edited by carpecervisi; 11-19-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by carpecervisi

I’m hoping my local shop, who originally quoted me over $900 to do the work, will take pity and drill that bolt out for me. I’m not sure what Mini used for loctite, but I assume it’s some type of alloy made of Adamantium and Mithril. Damn!!
$900 to switch out a DP? They will prob charge you a $100 just to yank out the the snapped bolt, sorry to hear that. Would you be able to drive to the shop like that? I am asking as I will be doing the swap in a few weeks..

Old 11-19-2018, 08:39 AM
carpecervisi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gelmobile
$900 to switch out a DP? They will prob charge you a $100 just to yank out the the snapped bolt, sorry to hear that. Would you be able to drive to the shop like that? I am asking as I will be doing the swap in a few weeks..
Hell at this point, I’ll gladly pay $100 for the privilege.

What a pain. And yeah I should be able to drive there fine. It’s just loud as ***** and is shaking the cabin apart. Lol.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:21 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Oh man that’s a bummer! 900 bones to swap th DP? I’m not charging nearly enough! Ha ha. Seriously the DP is pretty simple to do. I usually will do it for around $180-200 for the folks who ask me to do it. It’s not bad at all, just take your time and unless something unfortunate happens like the stud above, it’s a straight forward process. The biggest pita is the heat shield bolts can be hard to get at sometimes. Make sure you can get under the car too, I just use ramps to do them.
have new gaskets on hand and a new V-clamp in most cases....you don’t need it if you use Mariokart’s DP. His has an extended flange that allows reuse of the old one without the gasket. Hope this helps, feel free to pm me if you need long distance assistance.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.