Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Dp upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:13 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
My car smells like crap without a cat. How is it possible that your cat exhaust doesnt smell at all? @MarioKart
You can smell it in the car, or when your behind it? You might have a manifold or a leak, causing fumes.

mQuebed Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 11-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No I mean in general, having a catless is suppose to smell, correct? Every night when I pull into my garage I can smell the toxic fumes.

I only smell it with windows down during stop lights. Under normal driving with windows up, no.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:11 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
No I mean in general, having a catless is suppose to smell, correct? Every night when I pull into my garage I can smell the toxic fumes. I only smell it with windows down during stop lights. Under normal driving with windows up, no.
I don't have that issue. I have been on the phone 45minutes while parked under a tree with the motoring running. How is your AFR at idle?

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 11-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
My car smells like crap without a cat. How is it possible that your cat exhaust doesnt smell at all? @MarioKart
By re-installing the factory cat, or by using a sport cat with a 200 cell DP.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:15 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanschram
no sniffer. my state is based on the readiness monitors being on.
This is the same in Texas. Will the Manic tune address this if we change the DP? I know it will remove the CEL light that pops up, but normally this is done by disabling the associated readiness check. Unfortunately I can't have this and still pass emissions.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:26 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Systemlord
By re-installing the factory cat, or by using a sport cat with a 200 cell DP.
I don't have any cats and my others friends with the same set up, don't have "smell" issue either.
I do have one friend with a full catless and since he didn't t have a Flex joint between the DP and exhaust, it caused a small crack. This crack is right under the shifter, and he does get a smell in his car

Old 11-28-2014, 06:28 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
This is the same in Texas. Will the Manic tune address this if we change the DP? I know it will remove the CEL light that pops up, but normally this is done by disabling the associated readiness check. Unfortunately I can't have this and still pass emissions.
I ran a scanner the other day and everything shows "ready" and I've had the tune and high-flow cat which would normally throw a CEL for more than 8 weeks. I believe the Manic tune changes how and when the car looks for "readiness" so you should be ok from a non-sniff test emissions stand-point.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:58 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I ran a scanner the other day and everything shows "ready" and I've had the tune and high-flow cat which would normally throw a CEL for more than 8 weeks. I believe the Manic tune changes how and when the car looks for "readiness" so you should be ok from a non-sniff test emissions stand-point.
From what I understand, the Manic tells the ECU the car is above 3000 rpm, so the second O2 doesn't do the conformation check.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
From what I understand, the Manic tells the ECU the car is above 3000 rpm, so the second O2 doesn't do the conformation check.

I guess I'm in a weird spot because I live in an area that requires emissions testing, but it isn't a sniffer test, only a "readiness" test to see that all sensors are responding as factory. I also have an 08 car (build date of 4/08), so I am possibly in that batch of cars that have a less "sensitive" O2 sensor then the 09+ cars. I just can't get a definitive answer as to whether or not I can run a DP (catless or high-flow), with the Manic tune that doesn't throw a CEL and keeps the readiness monitors 100% complete so that the inspection computer shows pass for all required monitors.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
I guess I'm in a weird spot because I live in an area that requires emissions testing, but it isn't a sniffer test, only a "readiness" test to see that all sensors are responding as factory. I also have an 08 car (build date of 4/08), so I am possibly in that batch of cars that have a less "sensitive" O2 sensor then the 09+ cars. I just can't get a definitive answer as to whether or not I can run a DP (catless or high-flow), with the Manic tune that doesn't throw a CEL and keeps the readiness monitors 100% complete so that the inspection computer shows pass for all required monitors.
My second Gen Ported DP has and extend chamber thar blocks most of the O2 outer ring and has a small amount of cat material. It has worked on most of the Mini's but not all.

Attached Thumbnails Dp upgrade-image-2315536780.jpg   Dp upgrade-image-1107673018.jpg   Dp upgrade-image-2351881011.jpg   Dp upgrade-image-575974763.jpg  
Old 12-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Chrimzka
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ag, i'm in a similar situation. Just moved to austin and will soon be going full catless with a tune. From my understand as long as you aren't throwing a CEL you should pass.

Texas also has this bit of information:

Effective October 15, 2008:

For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.

so, if the O2 sensor were to show not ready it might be possible that you could still pass if everything else was good.

for your reference i pulled that from (https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...SystemsChecked)

Old 12-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chrimzka

Ag, i'm in a similar situation. Just moved to austin and will soon be going full catless with a tune. From my understand as long as you aren't throwing a CEL you should pass.

Texas also has this bit of information:

Effective October 15, 2008:

For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.

so, if the O2 sensor were to show not ready it might be possible that you could still pass if everything else was good.

for your reference i pulled that from (https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...SystemsChecked)
I had read that as well, and by that statement having one O2 sensor reading not ready would not be grounds for failure if the tune eliminates the CEL rather than just mask the light. Since the first O2 in the turbo isn't touched, I'm guessing we'll still pass. No one in the state does a sniffer test, so no worries there.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:11 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
I had read that as well, and by that statement having one O2 sensor reading not ready would not be grounds for failure if the tune eliminates the CEL rather than just mask the light. Since the first O2 in the turbo isn't touched, I'm guessing we'll still pass. No one in the state does a sniffer test, so no worries there.
How often does your car have to go get emission testing? CA is very two years or 6 if you are the origami owner from new

Old 12-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
How often does your car have to go get emission testing? CA is very two years or 6 if you are the origami owner from new

Every year.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Every year.
I though that registration was every year and emission testing every other year...

Old 12-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every year.
Likewise here in PA... not cool!

I called the place where I take the car for the yearly mechanical and emissions inspection and I was told that if I installed a catless DP w/ tune to deflect the CEL that it might not pass because they have a check list that they turn the ignition ON that the CEL should light up (all the time) and should go away after the a couple of seconds.

I have this theory that someone has TOTALLY disabled the CEL from coming on from the initial start up that's why. Since I do not have (yet) a catless DP I would not know how and when the CEL comes on. OR, it will pop up as you go along according to the majority of the reports I found in this site. Currently have a tune but have not tested it since I do have a DP as now.

I wonder what's the gas mileage with a catless DP? Hi-flow? I am struggling to get up to 36-37 mpg on stage 1. Truthfully I should be extremely happy with that.

Now PA does an exemption.. meaning you could do whatever mods you want as long as the car isn't driven more than 5K/year. It doesn't sound right but regardless, I wouldn't even come close to it. I do 33.5K/annually....

Old 12-04-2014, 02:12 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds like they are doing a bulb check to make sure the bulb is not "burned out".

The CEL does come on briefly at start up with the Manic tune.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord

I though that registration was every year and emission testing every other year...
The county I live in in Texas requires registration and inspection every year. Part of the inspection is emissions inspection. It's only for a few counties that are near non-attainment or non-attainment for air quality by EPA standards.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:27 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Sounds like they are doing a bulb check to make sure the bulb is not "burned out". The CEL does come on briefly at start up with the Manic tune.
My CEL comes on for about 1.5 seconds on Stage 2.5 Map B. How long does a completely Stock ECU keep the CEL light on, when starting the car?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Mine comes on about the same between 1.5 to 2 seconds on a stock ECU. This is basically what my emissions guy check for as a prerequisite to determine whether to proceed with the inspection or not. Not a whole of technical data but it's step 1 according to their guidelines.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Joeygonz
Mine comes on about the same between 1.5 to 2 seconds on a stock ECU. This is basically what my emissions guy check for as a prerequisite to determine whether to proceed with the inspection or not. Not a whole of technical data but it's step 1 according to their guidelines.
This is a good sign, also I'm going to pay for a pretest, even though I don't have to do an emission test for 5 more years. This will give me the info we need and I can be open and honest with emission guy.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:19 PM
ryanschram
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
great idea on the pretest! might do the same so no guess work when the real emission testing comes ( 9/15 ).

the irony of all of this is, my emissions guy is the one installing the DP for me. hope he cuts me some slack... pay him top dollar?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:34 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Joeygonz
great idea on the pretest! might do the same so no guess work when the real emission testing comes ( 9/15 ). the irony of all of this is, my emissions guy is the one installing the DP for me. hope he cuts me some slack... pay him top dollar?
LOL. I was also thinking, since I typically do a 30% E85 with 91octane, is just put 100% e85. This would lower the emissions for the test. My GP runs fine on 100% e85, as long as I keep it under 4500rpm and low boost.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Mario, did you ever get that pretest done and what were the results of it?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Dp upgrade