North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain air-to-air intercooler (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/27342-air-to-air-intercooler.html)

05JCWS 06-23-2004 06:39 AM

air-to-air intercooler

Has there been any move on the intercooler front? There was a lot of talk a few months ago about some new air-to-air intercoolers that may be coming out in the $500 price range. The only one that I am aware of is the one from Alta. I thought maybe RDR was going to come out with one, and I also thought somebody from England might have one (I think GSMotorsport or something along those lines). Has anyone heard anything or seen anything yet?

MartyR 06-23-2004 06:53 AM

GRSMotorsport a/a i/c available

Check the link... http://www.grsmotorsport.co.uk/minicoopers.html

399 pounds, so what's that? 600-700 bucks? Not as pretty as the ALTA but seems mighty functional.

Marty

andy@ross-tech.com 06-23-2004 07:09 AM

From the limited data available, the GRS Intercooler has shown an actual improvement in efficiency compared to the stock intercooler. The same cannot be said for any other intercoolers on the market, since none of the manufacturers have posted actual data.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61130

Props to GRS!

05JCWS 06-23-2004 07:39 AM

Thanks for the info on GRS. This looks very interesting and a good price. I agree on the numbers. I like the details it provides. At that point you can make the decision whether it fits you application or not. I am assuming that based on his Mini2 post that he is running with the standard pulley? I wonder what it would like with a 19% pulley. Obviously it will provide a better set of numbers.

BluMiniMe 06-23-2004 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by dgszweda1
Thanks for the info on GRS. This looks very interesting and a good price. I agree on the numbers. I like the details it provides. At that point you can make the decision whether it fits you application or not. I am assuming that based on his Mini2 post that he is running with the standard pulley? I wonder what it would like with a 19% pulley. Obviously it will provide a better set of numbers.

Graham is running a 15% pulley and can get a little over 14lbs of boost. I too would love to see a comparo of the OEM unit and his with a 19% pulley.

GRSmotorsport 06-24-2004 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MartyR
Check the link... http://www.grsmotorsport.co.uk/minicoopers.html

399 pounds, so what's that? 600-700 bucks? Not as pretty as the ALTA but seems mighty functional.

Marty

Perhaps these picture's might change your mind.

andy@ross-tech.com, than you agian for your kind words:wink:

discodan 06-24-2004 11:37 AM

looks pretty enough to me! :razz:

firenewt 06-25-2004 12:31 AM

GRS intercooler price

At current exchange rates - cash $758.68, credit card $744.02. Of course you will have to add shipping.

BluMiniMe 06-25-2004 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by firenewt
At current exchange rates - cash $758.68, credit card $744.02. Of course you will have to add shipping.

Ouch!:eek: But maybe that is a fair price? I have no idea.... but I'm kicking myself for not getting it when GRS first offered it for sale... it was priced near 300 pounds, but that was a couple months ago. poo... snooze you loose.

Mini-///M 06-25-2004 02:48 AM

Andy, great job bringing up the density ratio equation on mini2. I was just browsing that thread and was about to post it when I saw your post.

Patrick

GRSmotorsport 06-25-2004 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by BluMiniMe
Ouch!:eek: But maybe that is a fair price? I have no idea.... but I'm kicking myself for not getting it when GRS first offered it for sale... it was priced near 300 pounds, but that was a couple months ago. poo... snooze you loose.

The reason the overall price has gone up, is the price of £300 was for the intercooler only, the £399 includes the diffuser:wink:

MartyR 06-25-2004 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by GRSmotorsport
The reason the overall price has gone up, is the price of £300 was for the intercooler only, the £399 includes the diffuser:wink:

First, it IS damn pretty!

Second, is it available w/o the diffuser, and how much does shipping across the pond run? Does our price exclude VAT? Or do you guys even have the VAT?

Thanks!!!

M

discodan 06-25-2004 10:35 AM

any pics of the diffuser? or the unit mounted with the diffuser?

BluMiniMe 06-25-2004 10:46 AM

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. Thanks Graham.

GRSmotorsport 06-25-2004 01:14 PM

First, it IS damn pretty!

Second, is it available w/o the diffuser, and how much does shipping across the pond run? Does our price exclude VAT? Or do you guys even have the VAT?

Thanks!!!

M

If you want to buy the intercooler on its own, it'll cost you £300. We do have vat in England, but you don't have to pay it as GRSmotorsport is not vat registered:smile: Shipping is a little expensive I'm afraid £90 as I have to add insurance incase of damage.

No pictures of the diffuser yet as its not ready, its out of my hands as its being made out of gel coat and fibre glass. The only picture I do have is of the aluminium one on my car.
[font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

andy@ross-tech.com 06-25-2004 01:25 PM

~ $720 shipped is still a much better price than the Alta intercooler (which hasn't shown any measurable improvement in efficiency). Does the 90 GBP shipping also apply to the intercooler/diverter combo? If so, that's about $892 shipped.

GRSmotorsport 06-25-2004 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
~ $720 shipped is still a much better price than the Alta intercooler (which hasn't shown any measurable improvement in efficiency). Does the 90 GBP shipping also apply to the intercooler/diverter combo? If so, that's about $892 shipped.

Hi Andy,

Yes is does, thats everything needed:wink:

MartyR 06-25-2004 02:10 PM

Hi Andy,

Yes is does, thats everything needed:wink:

WOW, that's a super deal! I have been keeping an eye on the mini2 thread about this thing and I'm thinking it might be my next mod after switching from 15% to 19%.

FWIW jscspeed.com has the ALTA TMIC at $899, but truthfully I'd get this thing with the diffuser as it seems like Graham is really going the extra mile to test it. Thanks for your efforts, Graham. Keep up the great work.

Marty

GRSmotorsport 06-25-2004 02:43 PM

WOW, that's a super deal! I have been keeping an eye on the mini2 thread about this thing and I'm thinking it might be my next mod after switching from 15% to 19%.

FWIW jscspeed.com has the ALTA TMIC at $899, but truthfully I'd get this thing with the diffuser as it seems like Graham is really going the extra mile to test it. Thanks for your efforts, Graham. Keep up the great work.

Marty

Thanks Marty for your kind comments.

Testing wise, I've only done what people have asked, it hasn't been a problem:wink:

GoodOlDan 06-26-2004 07:55 AM

Perhaps these picture's might change your mind.

Is the unit mechanically secured at all (other than by the rubber boots)? It looks from the photos I've seem like all of the mechanical mounting points are removed.

Gonna get me somebody's bigger intercooler soon... ;)

Dan

coopersport 06-26-2004 08:37 AM

I have to say that looks like one nice intercooler to me. Does anyone here have any info on the front mount intercooler on the Nuzo motorsports minis?

greatgro 06-26-2004 09:11 AM

ummm...What's a diffuser? :sad:

Bisch 06-26-2004 10:57 AM

I think he meant diverter.

GRSmotorsport 06-26-2004 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by GoodOlDan
Is the unit mechanically secured at all (other than by the rubber boots)? It looks from the photos I've seem like all of the mechanical mounting points are removed.

Gonna get me somebody's bigger intercooler soon... ;)

Dan

All the original fixings from the original intercooler are removed, so there is no vibration, the development intercooler as been on my MCS for several months with no problems at all:wink:

greatgro, The diffuser is use to direct the air from the bonnet scoop straight into the intercooler. The diffuser is mounted under the bonnet like the original but bigger:wink:

greatgro 06-26-2004 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bisch
I think he meant diverter.

OH! He He! :grin: :lol: