Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 11:22 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Kalibdor
Hey everyone, I've got a question for you all. For those of you using the Howerton Kit, or I suppose any 1 gallon tank setup, and an 80/20 methanol/water mix, what are your measurements to achieve that mix at one gallon? I've read through this thread and saw a post mentioning 5qt methanol to 1qt water as a good 80/20 ratio, but that would be 1.5gal total. I do generally understand the concept that you're measuring by weight and that methanol has a different specific gravity than water, but when it comes to translating that into 'how do I make 1 gallon of 80/20' it might as well be rocket science because I'm not getting it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Instead of reading quarts, substitute "parts", just be sure to use equal "parts" when mixing them. I too use the pre-mix method, but my 5 gal M1 container is full to the top and there's no way to squeeze another gallon in it. So I dispense 5 pints into an empty 1 gallon jug then 1 pint of distilled water. I repeat this 'til the jug is about ¾ full, then pour it into the Howerton tank, which only holds about ¾ of a gallon anyhow --- mine has the anti-slosh feature and won't take a full gallon. The partially filled jug of mix is easier to pour from without spilling all over the trunk, and can be refilled easy enough. Also, you may want to top off the WMI tank before it's empty, and not use a full gallon of mix. That's why I keep a container of "pre-mixed" fluid handy.

Then, instead of a pint container, try any clear jar / container and mark it near the top. Then use that mark once for water and five times for meth --- it's not always a dripless process when using a full container. Play with this jar selection process 'til you find an appropriate size. And be sure to always use clean containers --- Howertons' equipment doesn't like contaminants.

The following users liked this post:
Kalibdor (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great, thanks for the info! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:23 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Another option is to buy a 2 gallon gas can. I purchased one with a self sealing spout. I can invert the can with no leaks, place the spout in the meth tank and push down so it starts dispensing. Picked it up at home depot cheap.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Back with a question for y'all. I've looked through the Aquamist forums but have not found a definite answer, just wanted to check here before I create an account and ask there. I ran my car today for the first time in a couple of months, as it's been on jackstands for winter. On first test drive, I noticed the hfs4 system tripped the failsafe immediately on the first pull and did not spray, though I do not have the failsafes hooked up (I have not connected the wastegate wire). I tried a couple more times with the same results. Pulled back into the garage and verified flow at the nozzle, to the same specs as the original test after install. Jumping the system at SYS, the system flows but the B on the gauge illuminates once and then does not register flow, both yellow lights are illuminated (W. Injection & Water Level). This does mean failsafe activation, correct? I have not changed anything with the system since before winter, when it worked fine. I'm thinking bad flow sensor? Or is it more likely the turbine is not moving? Any ideas on how to proceed/troubleshoot? Thanks for any and all advice.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:44 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
got the notification,hows it goin? .... and recollection may be a little off but i think the failsafe needs to make a complete circuit, if its not connected to the wastegate the wires need to be tied together to make a loop. if not that then good chance the flow sensor or fav has a problem. to clarify... normal driving the system looks like its ready to go and as soon as you get into where it would spray it goes in fail?

Old 02-15-2019, 05:08 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by randeez
got the notification,hows it goin? .... and recollection may be a little off but i think the failsafe needs to make a complete circuit, if its not connected to the wastegate the wires need to be tied together to make a loop. if not that then good chance the flow sensor or fav has a problem. to clarify... normal driving the system looks like its ready to go and as soon as you get into where it would spray it goes in fail?
Hey Randy, thanks for the quick response. So I haven't changed anything since the last time I drove it in terms of the Aquamist system, settings, or wiring. I don't recall those wires being connected together in lieu of the wastegate failsafe so I'll check that tomorrow. It looks normal, startup sequence looks normal, but as soon as I get into boost where it would start spraying, it acts as though the failsafe is being activated. The B illuminates once, then both yellow lights illuminate. Would a failed FAV prevent/reduce flow at the jet or still allow it? Given that I still have normal flow at the jet I'm leaning towards failed flow sensor, maybe it's thinking the flow is below minimum and activating the failsafe? Unless a failed flow sensor would have other telltales... Hence why I was asking if the turbine in the FAV could stop moving but not affect pressure/flow at the jet. I'm not too good with the specifics of how the system works. Thanks again

Old 02-15-2019, 05:19 PM
randeez
4th Gear
the fav=fast acting valve, if it were failed you would have no flow at all or always have flow- i believe its a plunger style no turbine.
flow meter - would fail the system only when it is called to run. since its been siting a while i would take apart the line where the sensor clamps on (in front of the fav) and make sure no junk has collected there. couldnt tell you if that failing should show up doing a test with the jumper though. howerton could probably be able to replace just the sensor if needed

Old 02-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by randeez
the fav=fast acting valve, if it were failed you would have no flow at all or always have flow- i believe its a plunger style no turbine.
flow meter - would fail the system only when it is called to run. since its been siting a while i would take apart the line where the sensor clamps on (in front of the fav) and make sure no junk has collected there. couldnt tell you if that failing should show up doing a test with the jumper though. howerton could probably be able to replace just the sensor if needed
Thanks, yeah that's what I figured on the FAV. And I just meant the turbine the flow sensor reads off of, I have since learned that is a separate part from the FAV. Will take stuff apart and check this weekend. Thank you for the input, Howerton seems to be out of the game but I can get individual parts from Aquamist.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:41 PM
randeez
4th Gear
gotcha...flow sensor just clamps to the outside of the pipe which reads flow magnetically - it creates a magnetic field, as fluid passes it interrupts the field, calibrated by the pipe size etc blahblah. thats why i mentioned to take it apart at the fav and make sure no solids have collected there, even a bit of oxidation can skew the reading

Old 02-15-2019, 05:51 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
most likely the flow tree
i have to replace mine ever summer
do to not
driving it in the winter
moister will swell up those seals
an stop it from flowing

Old 02-15-2019, 06:08 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BigBoost
most likely the flow tree
i have to replace mine ever summer
do to not
driving it in the winter
moister will swell up those seals
an stop it from flowing
Good to know, thank you for the input. Was not aware it could be such a common/frequent issue.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
EPDM seal doesn’t like water
that’s what they say
run
99% pure methanol
if you look at the Replacement FAV Tee
it will say it In the
Description

Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Before ripping to much apart I'd disconnect the flow sensor cable going into the controller, then reconnect it. Could just be sit-itis at the connector.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Before ripping to much apart I'd disconnect the flow sensor cable going into the controller, then reconnect it. Could just be sit-itis at the connector.
Thanks yeah I did check the connectors first just to be sure.

Didn't get to it today as I've got a lot of work to get done on my truck before Monday when I'm trailering the car to get an alignment, will address the Aquamist after that. Went ahead and ordered a replacement tee and flow section given the lead time coming from the UK and the fact that I'm sure I'll use them in the future if not now. Will update as soon as I know what the issue is. Thanks everyone for the advice/information.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:48 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kalibdor
Thanks yeah I did check the connectors first just to be sure.

Didn't get to it today as I've got a lot of work to get done on my truck before Monday when I'm trailering the car to get an alignment, will address the Aquamist after that. Went ahead and ordered a replacement tee and flow section given the lead time coming from the UK and the fact that I'm sure I'll use them in the future if not now. Will update as soon as I know what the issue is. Thanks everyone for the advice/information.
weirdly the shipping is pretty fast.
every time I placed an order with them
I get it within a week

Old 02-17-2019, 05:19 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't want to derail the thread, but I could sure use some help in the form of pictures of how you'all have mounted your tank. I am in the process of installing water/meth in my 2005 R 52. Any help will be appreciated and, as always, TIA for any help

Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered new FAV and board and got it within a week from UK but I paid the 40 bucks for fast shipping.
I will be selling my complete kit if anyone wants to make an offer. I have the spare board and FAV as well.
Im going to a custom intake with injectors so I do not need this system any more.
Adult owned and garage kept....lol

Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Yeah I did pay for expedited shipping given I have an event this coming weekend, lucky for me looks like the parts will be here Wednesday.

@Goldsmithy I won't be of any help there, I've got the Howerton tank.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 PM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Thanks, Kalibdor. I really wish Jeff was still making tanks. Tanks pictures anyone???

Old 02-18-2019, 11:44 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
I ordered new FAV and board and got it within a week from UK but I paid the 40 bucks for fast shipping.
I will be selling my complete kit if anyone wants to make an offer. I have the spare board and FAV as well.
Im going to a custom intake with injectors so I do not need this system any more.
Adult owned and garage kept....lol
Does your kit have the Howerton tank? I'm interested in the kit.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Goldsmithy
Thanks, Kalibdor. I really wish Jeff was still making tanks. Tanks pictures anyone???

what the tank an cover looks like

back side they are old photos

The following users liked this post:
Goldsmithy (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:35 AM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
I use AEM, but the tanks all seem to be take same.

You can probably find a suitable tank HERE

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/de...arentcatid=706

Old 02-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Originally Posted by scotty_r56s
I use AEM, but the tanks all seem to be take same.

You can probably find a suitable tank HERE

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/de...arentcatid=706
Thanks for the link. The water/meth kit should have a baffled tank from what I have been able to glean from searching. The only baffled tank on that site is 1000 gallon, which would be a mite large.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
was there any particular reason
why you think you need a baffle tank
??

Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 AM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Thanks for the link. The water/meth kit should have a baffled tank from what I have been able to glean from searching. The only baffled tank on that site is 1000 gallon, which would be a mite large.
A baffled tank would be amazing. My 1.15 gallon AEM tank has occasional starvation issues when accelerating out of a turn.

The search continues 😂

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems