Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 02:49 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
When you say "no flow", do you mean no flow indicated on the gauge, or no flow out of the nozzle? I usually hear my pump running when it's active. Can you hear yours? Depending on your control box location, cables can work loose. Have you checked all cable connections are secure and no broken wires? When I first installed mine, I had some contaminated meth that plugged up the fast acting valve --- pump would run but valve wouldn't open. Then there's the fluid level sensor --- is it working OK? I also had a leaking hose near the engine acc belt --- bad harness routing so fluid never got to the FAV after the belt wore a hole in the hose. I forget, isn't there a fuse someplace in the system? If you had the PC board out, did you handle and re-install it safely --- ESD precautions?

Lotsa things can go wrong --- component failure, installation mistakes, contaminates, workmanship. If you haven't already done so, maybe establish a working relationship with Jeff Howerton, he's awesome at customer service.

Best of luck ---
Thanks!

It was flowing fine both in the nozzle and in the gauge. Then at the middle of the run it just stopped flowing in the gauge although I was hearing the pump on. Then I tried the SYS jumper with the nozzle out, to run a system test -back at the shop- and I was hearing the pump, just no flow out of the nozzle. Tried different nozzles but all the same result. No flow neither in the gauge nor the nozzle. I will check the FAV, but so far no leaks, all cables fine, tank full of meth. I dont know how to chek the level sensor, there is no alarm of being out of meth. There are two fuses that I now and I see both fine.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:08 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
When I installed mine, the pump relay mounted in the tank assembly had worked loose and the plug was not make contact.

Didn't you work back there recently?
I worked there to adjust the pump to flow 500cc. But then I made sure everything was connected because I tested succesfully for 500cc, and then in the middle of the dino run it started flowing, and then suddenly stopped.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Sounds like the FAV stopped working. Try disconnecting the FAV input hose (the bigger one) and activate the pump again --- be sure to have a container ready to catch fluid. If OK, reconnect it and disconnect the FAV output hose and try it again (might have a kinked output hose) --- maybe use a short hose to catch FAV output, if it's working. If you used a restrictor, have you checked it?

If the sensor was bad, either the gauge would show it as off and / or the pump wouldn't run. There's still the possibility of a kinked / damaged hose between the tank and FAV, depending on how you routed the harness and hose.

FAV's aren't cheap, but contaminated fluid will ruin it. You need distilled water, not tap, and the purest meth you can find (I use VP's M-1). Talk with Jeff H. if you troubleshoot down to a bad FAV --- it might be repairable.

If all this happened on a dyno, be sure to post a chart when you get it fixed.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:21 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Sounds like the FAV stopped working. Try disconnecting the FAV input hose (the bigger one) and activate the pump again --- be sure to have a container ready to catch fluid. If OK, reconnect it and disconnect the FAV output hose and try it again (might have a kinked output hose) --- maybe use a short hose to catch FAV output, if it's working. If you used a restrictor, have you checked it?

If the sensor was bad, either the gauge would show it as off and / or the pump wouldn't run. There's still the possibility of a kinked / damaged hose between the tank and FAV, depending on how you routed the harness and hose.

FAV's aren't cheap, but contaminated fluid will ruin it. You need distilled water, not tap, and the purest meth you can find (I use VP's M-1). Talk with Jeff H. if you troubleshoot down to a bad FAV --- it might be repairable.

If all this happened on a dyno, be sure to post a chart when you get it fixed.
Im going to check the FAV, as I have no restrictor, and see if that makes a difference.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:45 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
OK,
So while removing the batery cover I found that the FAV was kind of loose. The big nut that holds the FAV to the plastic piece was not completly tight. so it was moving al around the place. I tighten it and after a test it started to spray!

Old 05-18-2017, 07:37 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
any tips i should know before getting started? i hear about taking out restrictor and adjusting pump?

Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the party!!! I left the restrictor out of my set up but never needed to adjust the pump. Once the install is complete, but before installing the nozzle in the hard pipe, place the nozzle inside a one liter bottle and place the system in test mode for 60 seconds. Measure what you get. IIRC mine flowed about 530 cc/min which was right on spec for the 1.0mm nozzle. The flow rates for each size is on Howerton's as well as Aquamist's sites. Since your not tuned for meth yet you may want to start with a smaller nozzle. If the nozzle is too large it will bog down and you'll feel it. Take your time setting the gauge and failsafe up correctly. I can't remeber if it came with the kit but I also encased the tubing and wires in a 1/4" split loom wrap before running them under the car for added protection.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
In the Howerton instructions the colors orange and brown look very similar depending on the printer. The waste gate wire is brown. See the attached photo with my notation:

Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems-photo349.jpg

Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Alright, I cut the cargo loops out of my car, to drop sub in so I need to grab some L brackets or something for tank. and under wiper cowl is where I mounted fuse, so I gotta undo a few things before I get started.
Drill/tap for npt adapter should be here today
Testing flow - do I need to use whatever mix im going to use(don't know yet) or just straight water ok? Seems minimal but don't know if flow would change given we're measuring cc's
Need to grab some split loom today while I'm out running around is 1/4" large enough? Directions howerton sent say 1/2" . I'll prob just grab both

Old 05-19-2017, 06:15 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Ugh lucky. I contacted Jeff a Howerton and he said they're 8 weeks out on systems and the website currently lists everything out of stock.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Not really lucky....just ordered 8 weeks ago lol

Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by randeez
Testing flow - do I need to use whatever mix im going to use(don't know yet) or just straight water ok? Seems minimal but don't know if flow would change given we're measuring cc's
Need to grab some split loom today while I'm out running around is 1/4" large enough? Directions howerton sent say 1/2" . I'll prob just grab both
Use the mix you plan on running. Water/meth ratio effects specific gravity and flow rate. Had to go back and check my mod book on size of split loom. Used 1/2" for under the car where wires and tubing are routed together. Then used 1/4" under the bonnet on the tube only to help keep heat away and prevent chaffing.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:22 PM
randeez
4th Gear
thanks a lot guys, all the tips- along with the provided instructions everything seems to be going pretty smooth so far, put in a hour or two this afternoon. I got the tank layed out, pump grounded, wire loomed and ran up front into the cowl. All i had around house were some cheap ty-raps so i grabbed some nice uv rated/metal clip ones to secure loom under car. Back of the car pretty much buttoned up (except for mounting bracket which i also grabbed).
forgot to check but i think i told Jeff to send the 3 largest sized jets, 8/9/1.0?
Tig - what do we need to do to get the tune a little closer? got anything in your stash we can load up or do we need to do some data logging?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
I've got several meth tunes that could fit the bill. With the issues you were having before I'd like to look it over and data log first. I can bring all my goodies with me and we can make her purr if everything looks good. Still planning on running straight meth?

Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 PM
randeez
4th Gear
i will probably start a little heavy, 80/20, just to see if the octane boost is enough to keep wot smooth.
also with the shorty intake i think we need to make the tip in throttle a little richer.... some days i gotta drive it like an old civic to get it off the line

Last edited by randeez; 05-19-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:35 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't cut the wastegate circuit in. The contact is normally open but once powered up it closes. So if you blow a fuse, fault wiring or just controller failure your going to have to drive in limp mode till you fix the issue. Been awhile since I installed mine but ....
As far as protection, I have my gauge mounted beside the tach and when the level gets low the blue flow light and level light cuts on and off when you start and stop. This lets you know to fill up your getting close

Old 05-20-2017, 01:37 PM
randeez
4th Gear
I cut the wg circuit, but I used male/female connectors...worst case I can pull the fail safe out of the loop and connect them back together.

might be dumb question but the restrictor is at the FAV?
and i think i put the solenoid on the fav upside down looking and pictures lol, had it right the first time but it was turned so that the electrical conn went right into the tubing, so instead of just rotating the the whole solenoid i flipped it over.... looked at it thinking this cant be right. Im blaming it on the heat today. i'll fix it in the morning.

A little miscommunication on my part to Jeff... told him i wanted the three larger valves, he sent 3-1.2 valves. after i get a more appropriate sized jet i just need to get the gauge mounted

Last edited by randeez; 05-20-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:52 PM
randeez
4th Gear
aquamist is officially installed.

Jeff answered a couple emails over the weekend and had jets ready to go in the mail this morning, no complaints accidents happen. Tigger was nice enough to lend a .9 jet in the mean time.

mixed up some 80/20 (by weight!) got system purged, ran in SYS mode for a minute, my measuring device wasnt so sophisticated (a bit over 14oz) calculated to cc is 420cc range. may step up to the 1.0 with tuning i will verify a little more precisely then.

I didnt install the restrictor, didnt check to see if it was installed either.
left the wastegate circuit connected at the ECU (no fail safe)
initial test drive feels great, no bogging down what so ever, spraying started about 12psi range, may try lowering that down a few psi.
cooling- i wasnt watching so closely but it looked to drop about maybe 5-10* under ambient and stay there during wot. With south florida humidity i wasnt expecting to see the 30* drops, im happy NOT to see 100+ AITs

ordered the cravenspeed vent gauge mount.

only other issue(?) doesnt seem to turn off when i shut car off. disarming system from the gauge isnt really all that difficult but not sure it's really turned off

Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The system continues to receive power until the car goes into "sleep" mode which may take up to 30 minutes.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:43 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can click the set screw under the pump one click and get more pressure which will give you more flow. I went through the waiting game for the 1. Jet and didn't get an increase in measurement. Had to turn the pump up

Old 05-24-2017, 06:05 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The system continues to receive power until the car goes into "sleep" mode which may take up to 30 minutes.
Good, just glad I didn't mess up the wiring...then I worry about missing other things

I will check flow more precisely before upping pump pressure, everything has been good so far. Almost to good....already showing low level in tank

Craven speed mount delivered/installed. Kinda pita to get trim off, fish cable across from glove box. About 30 min start to finish.
The vent itself is ridiculously over built imo, not that I'm complaining Bout a quality piece but it's like a 3lb chunk of cast metal (aluminium?), powder coated, Fitment is perfect for vent and gauge

Last edited by randeez; 05-24-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Hey randeez,
Had a chance to look at the datalogs. Looked great with no issues and your car pulled great BTW. Glad we were able to clear the airbag light. Just waiting on your tune from Nick at the moment.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Sounds good, appreciate all the help! let me know when its ready
Should i swap over to the large 1.0 jet? I'm using a ridiculous amount of meth as it is already, like i thought i may have a leak so i checked over everything again amount

Also that jet i owe you was right in cup holder forgot to give it to you

Old 05-28-2017, 11:31 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
How much do you consider "ridiculous"? HFS4 can be adjusted to turn on later, and the amount of liquid processed can also be set. Up until recently, I was using the 1.0 jet and was using about half a gallon of WM for 10 gal of gas, and getting about 40MPG --- I don't "get on it" very often either. Tuner recently recommended the 1.2mm jet, to tweek the high RPM curves. We'll see what kind of WM usage I get now ---

Old 05-28-2017, 01:01 PM
randeez
4th Gear
I week in and I've just filled it up the second time. Started with w/m half full used and went through another full gallon before fuel fill up. I will probably use a gal of w/m per tank of gas. Was in it quite a bit though, just checking cooling, timing, etc and part of it is just the initial love for seeing that gauge spraying.

Which roughly equates to $6-7 extra per fuel fill up isn't to bad

Last edited by randeez; 05-28-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems