Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
For you JCW guys out there.
Here's an N14 JCW

Old 07-09-2014, 11:42 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
300+hp 300+tq on the stock JCW Turbo!!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:47 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
yeah, but is the throttle linear? just playin'!

Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I kind of had a feeling the stock turbos were fine for 250+hp, imho the only reason to go with the JMTC is for the upgraded 360deg bearing
and designed for higher pressures. My fear is if I were to upgrade to a JMTC S42HP that a Battle Tune/DNA stage 2 wouldn't be enough to take full potential of the S42HP without some serious ECU tuning.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:17 AM
digolfa
3rd Gear
I've lost the Battle with Battle Tune.
Now I know why they call themselves Battle; It's a battle to get results and any meaningful communication!!!!
It appears Manic is the way to go.

Last edited by digolfa; 07-10-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:37 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by digolfa
I've lost the Battle with Battle Tune.
Now I know why they call themselves Battle; It's a battle to get results and any meaningful communication!!!!
If you have a problem with Battle then why don't you make a new thread and detail your problem/experiences/frustrations there. The collective knowledge of the forum might even be able to help. Making a post here, in a thread that is not even related, is not the way to go about it.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
If you have a problem with Battle then why don't you make a new thread and detail your problem/experiences/frustrations there. The collective knowledge of the forum might even be able to help. Making a post here, in a thread that is not even related, is not the way to go about it.
the poor guy posted in the build thread of the biggest champion of battle tune, and was asked to post elsewhere as well.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:03 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jomama
the poor guy posted in the build thread of the biggest champion of battle tune, and was asked to post elsewhere as well.
Yeah, I saw that (they might be them same person though). He's been having issues for while. I've been trying to keep track of it but it's been hard, new thread specific to his issues would be great.

My response to his post was meant to be helpful. There's obviously a problem with his tune and/or car.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
God help those internals lol. But that must be exciting driving that thing!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 AM
doug@frankenturbo
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I kind of had a feeling the stock turbos were fine for 250+hp, imho the only reason to go with the JMTC is for the upgraded 360deg bearing
and designed for higher pressures. My fear is if I were to upgrade to a JMTC S42HP that a Battle Tune/DNA stage 2 wouldn't be enough to take full potential of the S42HP without some serious ECU tuning.
Tuning for the raised performance capacity of a bigger turbo is a real challenge on these cars. For over a year we've been testing our F21M turbo with a number of software companies and progress has been really slow. Manic expressed some tentative interest months ago but it's not gone further than that.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 AM
5CARG0T
Neutral
I hope Manic really takes off here in the States. My girlfriend doesn't want to modify the MINI until after the warranty period is up and while the JB4 is awesome I don't know if/when it's ever going to come out for the N18 and it would be good to know there is a reliable/reputable tuning option in my area. The switchable on the fly tunes intrigue me the most to be honest as I know she won't want to drive full out all the time. It's the same reason I'm excited to tune my STi...whenever it is I actually get one anyway. The SI drive system allows three boost maps when tuned with the COBB tuner switchable at the press of a button.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 5CARG0T
I hope Manic really takes off here in the States. My girlfriend doesn't want to modify the MINI until after the warranty period is up and while the JB4 is awesome I don't know if/when it's ever going to come out for the N18 and it would be good to know there is a reliable/reputable tuning option in my area. The switchable on the fly tunes intrigue me the most to be honest as I know she won't want to drive full out all the time. It's the same reason I'm excited to tune my STi...whenever it is I actually get one anyway. The SI drive system allows three boost maps when tuned with the COBB tuner switchable at the press of a button.
PM and let me know where you live I can suggest a few. I won't clutter this thread up.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Yes My contact with Battle before Manic came to the US was not what I expected. As I always start off when contacting companies, I compliment them in their technology and success in the market. I mentioned my dilemma was between Battle or Manic Motorsport. All they did was talk nonstop crap on how they were better and smarter than any other tuner. And how Manic Tunes are crap and they are just like any other tune. They mentioned how Manic tunes were just another access port. I don't see how they are similar at all. The PowerGate is more like the access port really.
They said the Jb+ was crap and the tune they provide is miles away from the JB+! (How when they couldn't tune N18 at the time?)
"You should know we are the best. We tune the Mini Challenge Series!"
"We are the smartest and most technologically advanced!" "Why even consider any other tuner when it's obvious we are the best!"
I specifically said I had a 2013 N18 and they wanted to send me a PowerGate to see if it will work on my car. Obviously you guys know it won't and I declined the offer. They thought I was crazy for declining the offer. I went with Manic and the results speak for themselves. I tried to contact battle about products I wanted to purchase on their website but no replies. I physically had to make a new email for them to look at my message. I'd show the emails to you guys but that is just going too far and maybe a little messed up. So I won't.

For the next question. Yes I just spoke to Nick and he said Manic is spreading throughout the states! More and more people are getting tuned which is very exciting! It is for N14/N18. Minis 07+. Inter cooler and Race Exhaust is in the makes! They had a thought in making a direct port meth kit. That's exciting! But only a thought. Who knows maybe it will come in the future! Will update you guys as I get details.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Yes My contact with Battle before Manic came to the US was not what I expected. As I always start off when contacting companies, I compliment them in their technology and success in the market. I mentioned my dilemma was between Battle or Manic Motorsport. All they did was talk nonstop crap on how they were better and smarter than any other tuner. And how Manic Tunes are crap and they are just like any other tune. They mentioned how Manic tunes were just another access port. I don't see how they are similar at all. The PowerGate is more like the access port really. They said the Jb+ was crap and the tune they provide is miles away from the JB+! (How when they couldn't tune N18 at the time?) "You should know we are the best. We tune the Mini Challenge Series!" "We are the smartest and most technologically advanced!" "Why even consider any other tuner when it's obvious we are the best!" I specifically said I had a 2013 N18 and they wanted to send me a PowerGate to see if it will work on my car. Obviously you guys know it won't and I declined the offer. They thought I was crazy for declining the offer. I went with Manic and the results speak for themselves. I tried to contact battle about products I wanted to purchase on their website but no replies. I physically had to make a new email for them to look at my message. I'd show the emails to you guys but that is just going too far and maybe a little messed up. So I won't. For the next question. Yes I just spoke to Nick and he said Manic is spreading throughout the states! More and more people are getting tuned which is very exciting! It is for N14/N18. Minis 07+. Inter cooler and Race Exhaust is in the makes! They had a thought in making a direct port meth kit. That's exciting! But only a thought. Who knows maybe it will come in the future! Will update you guys as I get details.
It would help by spreading to other shops, at least three on the east coast and three on the west coast would be nice. On the east coast I would do Ohio and Florida. And west coast should have Texas and Washington. Or something along those lines. Maybe Nick has an idea and is getting it done behind closed doors.

Maybe Monkey Wrench would love to do it here in Michigan but that's a slim chance.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by digolfa
I though this thread was about tuning Mini's. Sorry
This thread is for Manic Motorsport tuning, Battle Tuning has their own thread (Battle/DNA Tune Thread) on NAM which is why I PM you instead of here.

Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo
Tuning for the raised performance capacity of a bigger turbo is a real challenge on these cars. For over a year we've been testing our F21M turbo with a number of software companies and progress has been really slow. Manic expressed some tentative interest months ago but it's not gone further than that.
You have made my point for me, this only confirms it. I know there are some on NAM who have remained very quiet (few words) about their tunes with larger turbos, almost lost the (less enthusiastic) interest in getting it dyno after spending a small fortune and it is this reason why I assumed some were not completely satisfied with the end result.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:52 PM
doug@frankenturbo
Former Vendor
The N14 and N18 engines are a lot like the FSI motors used (briefly) in Mk5 VWs and B7-series Audis. They had really high compression ratios and this makes them less than receptive to raised boost levels. We've had pretty good results with our larger F23 series turbos on those motors, but ignition advance is really limited.

Notwithstanding the handicaps of boosting a 10.5:1 compression ratio motor, I am becoming skeptical about aftermarket tuning as a whole. Yes, I've seen sexy dyno numbers, but no data logs to support them. In fact, data logging alone seems to be a huge challenge on these cars. And that's frustrating. Our F21-series turbos are very successful on older 1.8T VWs. I'm sure it could be on the MINI Cooper S as well. But tuning support for a 300bhp hybrid turbo product is basically absent.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:02 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Are we talking about 300 at the wheels or 300 at the crank?

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 07-10-2014, 09:21 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Are we talking about 300 at the wheels or 300 at the crank?
300 crank on Stock JCW Turbo.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
300 crank on Stock JCW Turbo.
So that's about 250whp and that's what I got on a DynoJet. I know I will get a little more, but over a larger RPM range with my Manic Tune. I will know on Monday. Btw I expect 275whp or 325hp with my K04 turbo and ported Extreme Ceramic Coated exhaust manifold

Attached Thumbnails Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-image-3536516041.jpg   Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-image-769653083.jpg  
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
So that's about 250whp and that's what I got on a DynoJet. I know I will get a little more, but over a larger RPM range with my Manic Tune. I will know on Monday. Btw I expect 275whp or 325hp with my K04 turbo and ported Extreme Ceramic Coated exhaust manifold
Very exciting! Is the E45? Or a different K04?
How bout you sell me your old turbo for a steal

Old 07-11-2014, 12:34 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Very exciting! Is the E45? Or a different K04? How bout you sell me your old turbo for a steal
That might be a possibility

Old 07-11-2014, 12:46 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
That might be a possibility
Are you putting in the JMTC E45?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Are you putting in the JMTC E45?
I have a K03 45, a K04 45 and of course my GP 40 turbo. I'm just debating which path I'm going to take

Old 07-11-2014, 07:01 PM
luigi90210
2nd Gear
any manic tuners in socal near the san diego/LA area?

im looking to get my car tuned soon

Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by luigi90210
any manic tuners in socal near the san diego/LA area?

im looking to get my car tuned soon
Eurocode tuning was a dealer. Last I heard they dropped support.
I need to take off that license plate frame ....
Manic said they had a few dealers in processing in SoCal.
You can contact them for updates.
Info@manicmini.com

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!