North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain aem water meth injection kit. which fluid? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/256533-aem-water-meth-injection-kit-which-fluid.html)

jown.iv 08-20-2013 11:57 AM

aem water meth injection kit. which fluid?

just got an aem wmi kit.

wondering what i can use for fluid, for instance, can i run snow perfs boost juice in a non snow perf kit like aem?

or will i have to mix my own?

im looking to stay around a 50/50 mixture, definitely not exceeding 60m/40w.

any suggestions/ideas are appreciated.

ZippyNH 08-20-2013 12:01 PM

Some folks may suggest blue washer fluid....works in a jam, but I caution you, it is usually made with water with lots of minerals....that is why you get crusty stains where it dries...
My suggestion...either buy the makers premixed stuff, or mix you own with distilled water.

jown.iv 08-20-2013 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 3796008)
Some folks may suggest blue washer fluid....works in a jam, but I caution you, it is usually made with water with lots of minerals....that is why you get crusty stains where it dries...
My suggestion...either buy the makers premixed stuff, or mix you own with distilled water.

ive heard the blue dye, as well as the minerals can clog the system. not sure how dye would do that, but the minerals i can understand. theres a place locally that sells pure meth, so i may just make my own. id still like to know others opinions as well.

im not sure if aem makes a premixed fluid, but i dont see why the boost juice would be an issue unless its just one of those things.

killerfox 08-20-2013 12:51 PM

just buy it locally, I get it in 5 gal. containers. R53's love 100% meth.

jown.iv 08-20-2013 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by killerfox (Post 3796042)

are you sure about that? ive read using 100% in any application will do more harm than good. i was under the impression that a proper mixture was necessary to get the best result, as well as not to damage any components.

also keeping into consideration that the tank is going to be in the cabin. i dont allow any smoking in the car, but theres just something about a gallon of highly flammable undiluted liquid splashing around behind me that rubs me the wrong way. a 50/50 mix is no safer, but you get what im saying lol.

killerfox 08-20-2013 01:57 PM

Not sure were you read about 100% doing harm to your motor but to my knowledge that's not true. I was running 100% in my Aquamist system for my R56 for 2 years without issue. I had a 2 gallon system in my car. I have personally seen on a dyno, R53's getting tuned and they all did better with 100% meth. I would check out http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/index.php?

http://howertonengineering.com/ (the pictures of the dual tank setup in clubman on this site are my car)

Originally Posted by jown.iv (Post 3796072)
are you sure about that? ive read using 100% in any application will do more harm than good. i was under the impression that a proper mixture was necessary to get the best result, as well as not to damage any components.

also keeping into consideration that the tank is going to be in the cabin. i dont allow any smoking in the car, but theres just something about a gallon of highly flammable undiluted liquid splashing around behind me that rubs me the wrong way. a 50/50 mix is no safer, but you get what im saying lol.

ra2fanatic 08-20-2013 02:01 PM

Likewise, I initially ran like a 70m/30w mixture, but now only run 100% VP1 methanol with my HFS-4 Aquamist system

BlwnAway 08-20-2013 04:59 PM

You can use anybody's pre-mix or mix your own or even 100% if you're just using it for cooling, but if you're tuned for it you need to stick with the same mix %, no matter what or whose it is in order to keep from possibly doing damage.

Basiclly 90/10 or 10/90 if you're tuned specifically for it, thats what you need to stick with.

jown.iv 08-20-2013 11:09 PM

ok thanks for the help guys.

Beka_2JZ 03-04-2019 10:14 AM

50/50 works Perfect. one part of it (water) makes IAT temps lower and another makes your fuel octane rise. also it IS the the best bang for a buck.

IQRaceworks 03-06-2019 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by killerfox (Post 3796042)

1. 100% meth is nasty dangerous if it ever catches fire.
2. Most people do a 50/50 mix with DI water because water actually cools better than meth, AND at 50/50 it's not flammable.

As far as what fluid to you......check your area to see if there are any local race shops that sell fuel. I buy VP M-1 100% methanol from a local shop for around $5 a gallon....so $2.50 a gallon after mixed with de-ionized water.

IQRaceworks 03-06-2019 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Beka_2JZ (Post 4454287)
50/50 works Perfect. one part of it (water) makes IAT temps lower and another makes your fuel octane rise. also it IS the the best bang for a buck.

This. Water for cooling. Meth for higher octane. Also....it's not going to catch on fire and burn your car down if you have a leak and/or get in a crash.

BlwnAway 03-06-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by IQRaceworks (Post 4454772)
1. 100% meth is nasty dangerous if it ever catches fire.
2. Most people do a 50/50 mix with DI water because water actually cools better than meth, AND at 50/50 it's not flammable.

As far as what fluid to you......check your area to see if there are any local race shops that sell fuel. I buy VP M-1 100% methanol from a local shop for around $5 a gallon....so $2.50 a gallon after mixed with de-ionized water.

Ouch.. My local supplier has VP 100% for 3.15 gal. + tax.right now
I buy a couple of 5 gal containers at a time since I'm running a 75/25 mix.

putttn 04-30-2019 06:37 PM

What mixture if just for cooling and not tune? I heard that windshield fluid was fine?

BlwnAway 04-30-2019 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by putttn (Post 4466837)
What mixture if just for cooling and not tune? I heard that windshield fluid was fine?

The problem with washer fluid is the dye that makes it blue, it can crystallize and flake to clog nozzles and pumps.
This is why it's ok to use in a pinch, but you always want to use a regular W/M mix after, to flush the system.

Personally, for cooling I'd look at anywhere from 50/50 to 75/25 water to meth, the water is what does most of the cooling.

putttn 05-01-2019 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by BlwnAway (Post 4466841)
The problem with washer fluid is the dye that makes it blue, it can crystallize and flake to clog nozzles and pumps.
This is why it's ok to use in a pinch, but you always want to use a regular W/M mix after, to flush the system.

Personally, for cooling I'd look at anywhere from 50/50 to 75/25 water to meth, the water is what does most of the cooling.

Where do you buy pure Methanol?

BlwnAway 05-01-2019 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by putttn (Post 4466893)
Where do you buy pure Methanol?

Local race gas or solvent supplier.