Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:34 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
It says 193 stock (no JB+) and 212 with the JB+ so that is 19 hp difference.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha ha ha ha
Strike one up for the OLD mind again
My math skills are very rusty, did that with out glasses in my head.
I'll take another look.
There's a reason I shouldn't post past 8pm at night......bedtime!

Thanks Again.

P.S. Pulled the trigger, ordered.
Thanks to all those who have posted here.
And thanks to Terry for the replies and e-mails.

Last edited by BubbaJCW; 06-30-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally getting my JB+ tomorrow. Super excited!! )

Car is 2012 MCS stock. Have only done the resonator delete. Had few questions for you guys:

1. I'm in Canada and typically use 91 gas. Shall I set the JB+ at 50% default setting or shall I lower it down?
2. Shall I lower it even more since it's summer. Average temperature is around 25-30C
3. I read something about Bluetooth OBD device to monitor boost. Can someone recommend it please and what app shall I download?
4. What is the safe boost level?

Thanks a ton!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:20 AM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mine left California last night, should be here Thursday! Can't wait!!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Damon114
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=Mayfair;3955209]Finally getting my JB+ tomorrow. Super excited!! )

Car is 2012 MCS stock. Have only done the resonator delete. Had few questions for you guys:

1. I'm in Canada and typically use 91 gas. Shall I set the JB+ at 50% default setting or shall I lower it down?

-I run 94 chevron from Canada and run my JB+ at 40% but i also have a GP so they recommend starting at 40%. u will be fine leaving it at 50% as long as u run 91 or higher.

2. Shall I lower it even more since it's summer. Average temperature is around 25-30C

-We have the same temps here in BC this summer and think u will be fine leaving it at 50%

3. I read something about Bluetooth OBD device to monitor boost. Can someone recommend it please and what app shall I download?

-I ordered at elm327 of ebay for $20 and it plugs right in under the dash. If u have an iPhone u can download Dashcommand,i think its still on sale for $10 in apps store.if u have an android phone downed Torque app, They both sink to the elm327 through wifi and u can monitor all your engines data. I still playing with mine and its pretty cool .

4. What is the safe boost level?

Mine seems to be running around 18 to 19 boost.Not sure what is safe as I'm still a newbie to this stuff but think no more than 20 with minor mods is safe. but maybe someone else can chime in on that.hope this helps.

U WILL LOVE THE JB+

Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Thanks so much for all the info my friend. Can't wait to install and take the car on the spin!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Damon114
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mayfair
Thanks so much for all the info my friend. Can't wait to install and take the car on the spin!
No Prob once i installed my JB+ it took about 100 km until i noticed it .Know after 500 km it is so much fun!!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can also get something like this..

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Old 07-01-2014, 09:47 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Just curious what are the boost levels everyone is seeing? I see people mentioning 18-19 and I have never seen more than 16.85 with the JB at 2pm running meth.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Just curious what are the boost levels everyone is seeing? I see people mentioning 18-19 and I have never seen more than 16.85 with the JB at 2pm running meth.

I've seen a lot of 17.5-18.8 depending on the weather. I'm only at the 1 position with 93 octane.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:10 AM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
Today is the day! It arrived at local post office, I have stuff to do today but I'm afraid to leave house now for chance of missing it lol

Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
Well I just installed it and I got a good 5 minute drive in before pouring rain came. ALREADY felt it climbing the rpms a little quicker. Can't wait for the full break in!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 AM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
What is a true way to mesure uptimal settings?

Originally Posted by wzabrouski
I too would like to know what others feel a solid level of boost is. Obviously environment plays a factor, but we should be seeing similar boost levels pending our geographic locations.

I just turned up my JB+ after a week of running solid pulls with my W/M kit and JB on stock position. Stock position would only yield 12-14psi boost avg. Now on 2 position I have seen as high as 17psi.

What I would really like a subject matter expert to explain is how do we spot performance increase when tuning the JB+ with an average Data Logger like Scan XL, Dash Command, etc..

I am watching Timing as stated multiple times in this thread, and throughout NAMs forum. But, there must be a surefire way to manage the Juice Box, via data log management. I figure: Adjust/LOG/Assess/Re-adjust or not pending on performance gained or lost. What data inputs would be deemed most important? And is there any way to track that the JB+ has been turned up, I.e. MAF data signal inputs or something?

Also; Attention All:
Lastly, for everyone running a Sprint Booster (SB) with the JB+, I would like to know how your timing and boost looks. I really appreciate the increase of throttle response. However, I think I stumbled upon something. I believe that the signal the SB sends to the TPS might be disrupting the JB+ tune. I might be wrong, and I understand that they are designed to influence separate sectors of the DME: but I've noticed a drop or so in timing with the SB on. Nothing detrimental but enough to make me question what's going on. Turned off my SB and my timing (Monitored with my CAN tool) was advancing smoothly throughout the entire RPM band all the way to the rev limiter.

What's your thoughts NAM..

Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
I too would like to know what others feel a solid level of boost is. Obviously environment plays a factor, but we should be seeing similar boost levels pending our geographic locations.
Remember that the boost targets are load based. That being said, it does seem that two nearly identical cars on the same road at the same time will boost to two different levels. I live rather close to you so we have basically the same environmental conditions and our cars are both 2013 with similar mods. Currently I'm boosting to about 15.5 sustained (close to 17.5 peak) with the JB+ at 50%. Mine is an automatic, maybe it boosts higher to overcome the parasitic losses of the torque convertor, IDK.

What I would really like a subject matter expert to explain is how do we spot performance increase when tuning the JB+ with an average Data Logger like Scan XL, Dash Command, etc..
To do what you want you really need to know the actual maps for the given conditions then maybe you could assess if you're hitting the targets. The only reasonable thing that you can do is what you are doing. Adjust, log, assess, repeat.

For example, right now I'm typically seeing 5 degrees of advance on cylinder #1 in 4th gear at high rpm. Is this good? Is this what is being called for? I have no idea.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Remember that the boost targets are load based. That being said, it does seem that two nearly identical cars on the same road at the same time will boost to two different levels. I live rather close to you so we have basically the same environmental conditions and our cars are both 2013 with similar mods. Currently I'm boosting to about 15.5 sustained (close to 17.5 peak) with the JB+ at 50%. Mine is an automatic, maybe it boosts higher to overcome the parasitic losses of the torque convertor, IDK.

To do what you want you really need to know the actual maps for the given conditions then maybe you could assess if you're hitting the targets. The only reasonable thing that you can do is what you are doing. Adjust, log, assess, repeat.

For example, right now I'm typically seeing 5 degrees of advance on cylinder #1 in 4th gear at high rpm. Is this good? Is this what is being called for? I have no idea.
Cerenkov,

I was hoping you would chime in. I compare most my data logs to yours that are posted for the same reason; being our mods are similar.

I am seeing some really strong pulls today after getting away from running the Sprint Booster on Red. When off on same roads I saw timing start at 4 and progress upward toward 9* tonight (83 deg w/53% Humidity). Im happy with this, JB set at 2 position, and hit boost up to 17 psi.

I just wish there was at least one extra variable to check in order to monitor consistency of what the JB+ is doing.

I'm also thinking I could move up to 3 position being my timing is advancing so smoothly. But not sure what the benefits would be if I cannot track true HP gains.

Tuning if frustrating at times. But yet so fun.

"I want to upgrade to the JB4

Oh well, back to logging.

Thanks...

Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just turned up my JB+ after a week of running solid pulls with my W/M kit and JB on stock position. Stock position would only yield 12-14psi boost avg. Now on 2 position I have seen as high as 17psi.

I am watching Timing as stated multiple times in this thread, and throughout NAMs forum. But, there must be a surefire way to manage the Juice Box, via data log management. I figure: Adjust/LOG/Assess/Re-adjust or not pending on performance gained or lost. What data inputs would be deemed most important? And is there any way to track that the JB+ has been turned up, I.e. MAF data signal inputs or something?
If you want to be more scientific in monitoring boost levels, you are really better monitoring manifold absolute pressure (MAP) rather than boost, or looking at both.

MAP is independent of atmospheric conditions and altitude. MAP is what the engine actually sees.

Just to recap the ecu sets load targets and monitors MAP as part of the load targets. Boost = MAP - ambient atmospheric pressure. "Normal" atmospheric pressure is 14.7psi. Depending of weather conditions (current high or low pressure weather system) and altitude it can easily vary from 12 - 15.5, and if you go to big altitudes even more dramatically.

Therefore to make MAP of 25.5psi, your car may need to boost somewhere between 10-13.5psi to make the target, and achieve the same performance. Even more confusing some people are measuring actual boost, and others are just deriving a fudged boost by subtracting 14.7 from the MAP, regardless of true atmospheric.

Therefore you can understand that if you are trying to compare your own boost figures month to month, or compare with others, it is difficult. However, if you are comparing MAP figures it is more reliable.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that the JB device partly works by tricking the car to thinking it is at a higher altitude than it really is, allowing it to boost more. I may be wrong though!

Last edited by robbo mcs; 07-03-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 PM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
QUESTION:

While putting on my intake I left the doors unlocked and I'm not sure if that means the DME didn't fall asleep or not. But after the install I just plugged the jb right back in and turned the car on. Should I unplug it again and let it sleep before I plug it back in? It just doesn't feel as strong as it did when I first hooked it up. I drove 50 miles today...maybe I'm missing something? Or my butt dyno sucks lol

Old 07-03-2014, 06:10 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ptguy0618
QUESTION:

While putting on my intake I left the doors unlocked and I'm not sure if that means the DME didn't fall asleep or not. But after the install I just plugged the jb right back in and turned the car on. Should I unplug it again and let it sleep before I plug it back in? It just doesn't feel as strong as it did when I first hooked it up. I drove 50 miles today...maybe I'm missing something? Or my butt dyno sucks lol
What intake did you put on? It probably has to do with that.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:15 PM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
What intake did you put on? It probably has to do with that.
The Alta intake.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ptguy0618
QUESTION:

No codes, no problems!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 PM
dangsdunks
1st Gear
Just bought one, a few minutes ago and it has shipped already! Can't wait!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:51 PM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
So I've done as much reading as my eyes can take with out getting confused, and it seems my only options for turning the JB past the stock setting, are to add some torco octane booster, or get a meth kit..., I only have an Alta CAI and Alta muffler delete tube. This is correct?

I currently run 93 octane gas.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:55 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Or mix in some E85.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 PM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
Or mix in some E85.
I'll have to see where I can find some in the fort Myers area

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)