Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:50 PM
SchnellFowVay
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yesti
If you have 92+ octane gas then leave it at default setting and be happy.

I thought it was 91+ Octane? Those of us out west are stuck with 91.

My car has run fine on Default setting + 91 Octane, although I have never tried to measure the timing pull, etc.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Has anyone experienced any weird boost cuts? These past two weeks I've been driving my car I've experienced boost cut happening at weird times. I'll be on the HWY driving about 70mph and try to hit the pedal about half way and the car would start to fly for a second till I lose boost completely for 2 seconds. It's weird I've never had this happen in my turbo cars. I'm just confused because I have no codes and the car will run fine. I've even filled up my tank with 93 only. Mind you I am at the 1 position on the JB, but it hasn't happened in the previous 10k+ miles...Also I checked for any boost leaks but found nothing. Any ideas?
My MCS did that before the JB+......only twice when pressing throttle hard & quickly when passing on the fwy. It didn't do it when using the paddle shifter to downshift. It hasn't happened post JB+ install (I tried to make it happen).

Old 04-11-2014, 05:28 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Has anyone experienced any weird boost cuts? These past two weeks I've been driving my car I've experienced boost cut happening at weird times. I'll be on the HWY driving about 70mph and try to hit the pedal about half way and the car would start to fly for a second till I lose boost completely for 2 seconds. It's weird I've never had this happen in my turbo cars. I'm just confused because I have no codes and the car will run fine. I've even filled up my tank with 93 only. Mind you I am at the 1 position on the JB, but it hasn't happened in the previous 10k+ miles...Also I checked for any boost leaks but found nothing. Any ideas?
There is another person on this forum that has experienced something similar. I don't think that the JB+ was installed at the time.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Mine did that, but it was while I was messing with the dial and had it a the 2 position... Only would do that if I stomped it at a low rpm on third or fourth... Not sure why, currently at the 12 position and happy with it for now.,,

Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The DME likes to run full boost at half throttle in high gears. Probably a misfire or similar sort of a condition. I'd turn the dial down to say 1 below 50% and try to recreate.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:51 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
We should probably all listen to the man who made these and follow is recommendations.

I said it awhile back, when things start heating up...we'll see more incidents.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:36 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The DME likes to run full boost at half throttle in high gears. Probably a misfire or similar sort of a condition. I'd turn the dial down to say 1 below 50% and try to recreate.
Thanks Terry, I'm at 1 now so I'll go back to 50% and drive like that for a bit before I go back to 1.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:38 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Coop-a-Loop
My MCS did that before the JB+......only twice when pressing throttle hard & quickly when passing on the fwy. It didn't do it when using the paddle shifter to downshift. It hasn't happened post JB+ install (I tried to make it happen).
Yeah I used my paddle shifters on the hwy to see if it would happen again but nothing. I'll go back to 12 position to see if it tries to do that again. I've only seen 65 degrees the last three days but colder weather other times. I'll monitor things a bit.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
BMS: Excellent Service!

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The DME is highly adaptive and will reduce power on its own (stock or tuned) under certain conditions. If you want to get to the bottom of it I'd grab some sort of an OBDII logging utlity and monitor boost, timing, and AFR during times when its running well and during those times when it's running slower. That data should help you narrow it down. Too bad on the CEL not coming back as that would be the quickest method. If you want to send the JB+ in we can always swap it out here for you just to eliminate the unlikely JB+ hardware issue.
A friend of mine bought a used JB+ for her 2013 JCW and was getting a P0507 (high idle) code. It was a very unusual code that no one had reported to Terry. I helped with code reading and clearing using my Scanguage II. After some testing with and without the JB+, Terry graciously swapped out the chip and completely solved the problem. Now she and I are big BMS evangelists. Terry, you rock!

Old 04-12-2014, 02:08 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalledFriend
Lookie what I just got???

Let the fun begin!

So, I've had this in now for 2 days and I feel like it's completely settled in now. All I can say is that this thing is an absolute GAME CHANGER!

I was getting on Southbound I-5 and turned the corner of the on ramp with a nice open stretch in front of me. At about 2k rpm in 2nd gear I laid into it at WOT and HOLY HELL!!!

If you don't have this little gem, this needs to be the next click of your mouse! http://burgertuning.com/Mini_Cooper_...nce_tuner.html

Old 04-13-2014, 12:52 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay

I thought it was 91+ Octane? Those of us out west are stuck with 91.

My car has run fine on Default setting + 91 Octane, although I have never tried to measure the timing pull, etc.
For 91 Terry recommends turning it down to be safe. But he has to say that to CHA. You are free to run it any setting you are comfortable with. The car will do its best to protect itself so real world you'd probably lose a teeny bit of power if you are running it a little high. but still better than stock.

I have 92 so I run 50% default. I watch timing on the fuel gauge and it advances until I have to let up on the gas due to things in my way. Avg temps here 80-85 deg F, 50-100% humidity, sea level.

97 supposedly let's you go to 100% but that's not recommended with the S engine due to turbo size.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:06 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I ran mine at 75% with 96 pure gas, no ethanol

Old 04-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Richard Kellstrom
1st Gear
I don't know if my unit is broken but I have had it in for two weeks. I feel no difference honestly. If anything it has flattened out the power curve so its not entirely noticeable. I have the unit set to 40% for 93 octane.

After having in for a week I got the lean mixture error in bank 1 which usually means its lean in all banks... So... I have been taking it easy on it, running a slightly higher octane. I have not had the warning come back on but unless you are running E85 and can afford to rebuild an engine for fun this seems kinda risky.

I would not play around with this without a Wide band. I know MarioKart is making some downpipes with an 02 bung installed. I will be trying this out once they are fresh off the press.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Richard Kellstrom
I don't know if my unit is broken but I have had it in for two weeks. I feel no difference honestly. If anything it has flattened out the power curve so its not entirely noticeable. I have the unit set to 40% for 93 octane.

After having in for a week I got the lean mixture error in bank 1 which usually means its lean in all banks... So... I have been taking it easy on it, running a slightly higher octane. I have not had the warning come back on but unless you are running E85 and can afford to rebuild an engine for fun this seems kinda risky.

I would not play around with this without a Wide band. I know MarioKart is making some downpipes with an 02 bung installed. I will be trying this out once they are fresh off the press.
Have you monitored the boost levels ? I see 15-16 stock, 18-19 with JB+

You may have something wrong with your car. Or possibly got a bad unit, I have 2 and both function great.

But a GP / JCW could be another problem.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Wait in line bud...

J/k

I too am in line for the new DP Mariocart is testing. Also thinking of slapping In my AEM a/f monitor...

Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
We can get AFR information from our current lambda sensors.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear

Have the unit swapped out. Hundreds of us have them, and nobody has symptoms like you describe.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JcarrollWS6
Have the unit swapped out. Hundreds of us have them, and nobody has symptoms like you describe.
Lean mixture could be injector or HPFP failure immanent .

Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
Lean mixture could be injector or HPFP failure immanent .
I agree, but he had no complaints before, and it's. 2013 so I was giving mini the benefit of the doubt.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JcarrollWS6
I agree, but he had no complaints before, and it's. 2013 so I was giving mini the benefit of the doubt.
More boost needs more fuel. I would contact
terry at BMS . If he where my neighbor I'd
Let him try mine no prob

Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 PM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
Are the CM owners seeing 18-19psi of boost?
What ambient temps?

My stock CM is seeing 13-14psi at 50 deg F.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:27 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kerrys914
Are the CM owners seeing 18-19psi of boost? What ambient temps? My stock CM is seeing 13-14psi at 50 deg F.
I have never seen that high. I am running at 2 o'clock with a 30% mix of E85. It was in the 80's last week and the most I have seen was 16.5. I have since ordered a meth kit so we will see what that does. I think I might loose some psi due to the larger intercooler also.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
I have never seen that high. I am running at 2 o'clock with a 30% mix of E85. It was in the 80's last week and the most I have seen was 16.5. I have since ordered a meth kit so we will see what that does. I think I might loose some psi due to the larger intercooler also.
Helix says that their intercooler has a 0.5 psi drop, not sure what the drop is across the stock one.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am running the Alta R56 intercooler.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:42 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just ordered my JB+ today, can't wait to get it and try it out.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)