Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yesti
So you run the JB+ at 80% using 91 octane when BMS states to set it at 50% using 92 octane and you wonder why they don't reply to you? And with a JCW where BMS also states to run it less than 50% with 92.
Yep, I give his engine 6 months.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Evil4130
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Yep, I give his engine 6 months.
Regardless of what setting I choose to run the JB+ I still think that BMS should respond to my question as to what I should be monitoring and what parameters to look for...not too much to ask. Simple question...I though I could ask here since there are a lot of guys running this product.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 AM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Evil4130
Regardless of what setting I choose to run the JB+ I still think that BMS should respond to my question as to what I should be monitoring and what parameters to look for...not too much to ask. Simple question...I though I could ask here since there are a lot of guys running this product.

Thanks for the help.
It's possible that your email was spammed. Did you email Jon, Terry, or both?

http://burgertuning.com/contact.html

Old 03-21-2014, 10:53 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Regardless of what setting I choose to run the JB+ I still think that BMS should respond to my question as to what I should be monitoring and what parameters to look for...not too much to ask. Simple question...I though I could ask here since there are a lot of guys running this product. Thanks for the help.
Have you read the thread in its entirety? All your questions are answered in this thread.

Are you even using E85?

Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM
miniforozzie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Have you read the thread in its entirety? All your questions are answered in this thread.

Are you even using E85?
Reading through almost 100 pages isn't an easy task. Trust me, I've been read through them all which has taken me almost one week. I just got my JB+ a few days ago and I have several Q's that aren't in the instructions on Terry's site which are very very general directions at best.

I think that Terry or someone with BMS should type up better instructions on how to use the different CAN tool options because like I just said, what they have on their site doesn't go in to much detail and their YouTube video(s) aren't much better.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniforozzie
Reading through almost 100 pages isn't an easy task. Trust me, I've been read through them all which has taken me almost one week. I just got my JB+ a few days ago and I have several Q's that aren't in the instructions on Terry's site which are very very general directions at best.

I think that Terry or someone with BMS should type up better instructions on how to use the different CAN tool options because like I just said, what they have on their site doesn't go in to much detail and their YouTube video(s) aren't much better.
The JB+ wasn't designed to just be turned up at random. The site states it's designed for 93 octane at the default setting, to which you aren't considering.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't find the time to read the forum that contains just about every bit of info one would need to educate themselves on what they are doing to their motor, but is OK with blindly installing something and modifying it otherwise.

But hey, let us know how that works out for you.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
also: (from the burger site)
There is a blue adjustment dial inside the JB+ that lets you fine tune its overall aggressiveness. The dial runs
from 0% (MIN) to 100% (MAX). Adjustment is made using a small standard screwdriver. The adjustment dial
is sensitive so be careful not to use too much force when adjusting
The JB+ comes preset at 50% and generally should not be changed for normal N18 motors using good quality
pump gas. Those running higher boost tuning from the factory such as the JCW package, or those using
exceptionally poor fuels, such as 90 octane or lower, should reduce the dial to 30-40%. Conversely if
monitoring boost & timing using a BMS CAN Tool or similar the dial may be adjusted up on higher grade fuels
such as race gas, E85 mixtures, or methanol.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 PM
miniforozzie
2nd Gear
I'd just like to have some DETAILED instructions on how to use the CAN tool. That's all....

Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Evil4130
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dustypants
The JB+ wasn't designed to just be turned up at random. The site states it's designed for 93 octane at the default setting, to which you aren't considering.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't find the time to read the forum that contains just about every bit of info one would need to educate themselves on what they are doing to their motor, but is OK with blindly installing something and modifying it otherwise.

But hey, let us know how that works out for you.
Thank You MRDustyPants...

I thought this was a site where we could all post and ask questions to help each other out...My question was what parameters should I be looking for when monitoring the jb+ no one here nor the guys at BMS have answered that question but thanks for telling me how I'm not educating myself. I will read all the pages now...thought I could save a couple of days by just asking.

PS I have an Engineering degree form UCI, I'm a medical laser Engineer, I have my own shop where I custom design parts and fabricate them, I also build race cars and built the first challenge race car for Crevier Mini here in CA.
But since I don't know what I'm doing I'll just keep turning this thing up and I'll add nitro methane to the mix cus it will make my car faster.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:01 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't mind everyone that's taking a stab at you. There are lots of people looking for more power but you'll have to email Terry to give you better instructions. So you know I was at the 2 position and running 70% 93 and 30% e85. But I dialed it down to 1 and using only 93. Everything checks out fine. Be careful with the warm weather!

Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Maybe someone could edit the first post to contain the important information.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:25 PM
MontyRSVR
1st Gear

Thanks for the help.
I think the reason they might not be responding is your questions are really general turbo tuning questions. What you should always be monitoring is timing advance as a sign of detonation ( the ECM will retard timing as a first step to prevent damage), you should monitor air fuel ratio as a lean condition causes detonation/ preignition from excessive heat caused by.... A lean condition. Boost is a good thing to monitor but I highly recommend a real boost gauge that doesn't lag ( the can tool lags terribly in my opinion). I'm not sure the mini will ever be in the realm of needing EGT monitoring I like it but I'm used to running 30-35 psi on a turbo capable of 1400 cfm in my race car. I always liked to be able to data log the knock sensor to see how close I am to the edge but again I see no reason for this in a mini it's ECM is way to advanced to have to worry about such things. Do some real research on turbocharging and you will quickly learn what is most important to "monitor". I've been playing with boost for 20 years and still learn something new all the time.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Thank You MRDustyPants...

PS I have an Engineering degree form UCI, I'm a medical laser Engineer, I have my own shop where I custom design parts and fabricate them, I also build race cars and built the first challenge race car for Crevier Mini here in CA.
But since I don't know what I'm doing I'll just keep turning this thing up and I'll add nitro methane to the mix cus it will make my car faster.

Since you know what you are doing, have fun cranking up the JB+ on 91 octane.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:01 PM
pidge1114
Banned

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Arrg...

No point in being worried, you can't do anything about it now.

I've never experienced a boost cut, but recently I one of my intercooler charge pipes came off and the car just fell flat.

I believe when the ECU cuts boost it just opens the wastegate. I wonder if it could have been pulled timing.

I'm getting frustrated. So, since the Boost cut or sudden slump, like hitting the breaks and then accelerating out problem occurred, I have put it back to the 12 o'clock position. How ever, its still happening when I hit boost. Not sure what PSI, but it has to be 5-10ish cause the fuel gauge gets hijacked when it occurs. any thoughts... No CEL, no signs of Limp Mode. This is confusing. Is there a time period I must allow for the DME to recognized that the dial has been turned down? Or is it because I'm running it at 50% with a 95-96 octane blend?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Maybe someone could edit the first post to contain the important information.
if someone wants to write it and PM it to me, I'll add it to my first post.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 PM
MiniFury13
1st Gear
I am new to the mini world and apologize if this questions may be tied to a simple answer. What's the difference between the JB+ and an actual EMC tune? Also, can the JB+ work with a 2014 N18 turbo?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniFury13
I am new to the mini world and apologize if this questions may be tied to a simple answer. What's the difference between the JB+ and an actual EMC tune? Also, can the JB+ work with a 2014 N18 turbo?
Yes the JB+ can work with a '14 N18 turbo.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:09 PM
MiniFury13
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean

Yes the JB+ can work with a '14 N18 turbo.
Nice! Thanks Rob.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniFury13
...What's the difference between the JB+ and an actual EMC tune?
The JB+ alters the signals that are being sent to the DME (ECU), effectively making the DME call for higher boost.

A DME tune actually changes the factory maps for various parameters such as boost, timing, AFR and others. This can be done by flashing the DME through the OBDII port or pulling the DME cracking it open and doing it on a bench. Currently for the N18, flashing via the OBDII port is not possible but the buzz is that it will be shortly.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
I'm getting frustrated. So, since the Boost cut or sudden slump, like hitting the breaks and then accelerating out problem occurred, I have put it back to the 12 o'clock position. How ever, its still happening when I hit boost. Not sure what PSI, but it has to be 5-10ish cause the fuel gauge gets hijacked when it occurs. any thoughts... No CEL, no signs of Limp Mode. This is confusing. Is there a time period I must allow for the DME to recognized that the dial has been turned down? Or is it because I'm running it at 50% with a 95-96 octane blend?
Remove it.

Drive the car without it for a bit.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by miniforozzie
I'd just like to have some DETAILED instructions on how to use the CAN tool. That's all....
I updated the thread I started on the CT with some basic instructions

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ct-thread.html

Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone heard or looked into Vrtuning? It looks like it tunes through your OBDII using a laptop. Anyone know if it's good or even legit? Just looking into what ecu mod I should do.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Remove it.

Drive the car without it for a bit.
Will do, Thanks...

Sometimes I wish Mini allowed us to do the old school trick of disconnecting the Neg battery terminal for 10 min and ECU re learns...

Old 03-22-2014, 01:35 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Roxspin72

Will do, Thanks...

Sometimes I wish Mini allowed us to do the old school trick of disconnecting the Neg battery terminal for 10 min and ECU re learns...
Have you tried it? To an extent the DME does reset trims when it loses power.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)