Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mods that will NOT void warranty? Also, what's a good mod progression strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Phynix
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods that will NOT void warranty? Also, what's a good mod progression strategy?

Just wondering what mods you can put on that won't void your warranty. Are there any besides the MINI JCW CAI? I am also curious to find out what a good mod progression would be. From CAI to intercooler to exhaust, DP, ECU, Turbo upgrade, etc etc.. What's a good order? From drivetrain stuff to sway bars, to wheels to suspension to whatever else. I haven't actually taken delivery of my MCS yet, but I'm already trying to line out what I'm going to mod and in what order and with what brand. I also live in west Texas where summers are easily in the 100+ degree range if that would help determine the priority of things. Any input would be much appreciated!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
FMIC, and all suspension. Then you can go anywhere else you want.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:09 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Just wondering what mods you can put on that won't void your warranty
Dealers legally can not void your warranty. They can try and blame the mod for causing something to fail, but they legally have to prove it did. There is a thing called Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. This is to protect modders from dealers voiding warranties because you did a mod. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
FMIC, and all suspension. Then you can go anywhere else you want.
+1

You can enjoy handling mods regardless of the speed limit. Good set of coilovers or struts and springs, good wheels and tires, a sway bar, lower-control arms, strut bars, some brake work, and you're golden.

After that, the biggest things for power are a FMIC, tune, and turbo-back exhaust, in that order. On an R56, I would probably grab a Helix FMIC, Akrapovic full exhaust, and a good dyno tune. Everything else is just icing.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The best thing for you to do is drive the car the way that you get it. See what you like, and what you want to improve.

What is important to you? Aesthetics (lower the car, wheels/tires, tint), HP (fmic, tune, exhaust), handling (tires, rsb, shocks/springs).

This question has been asked/answered a hundred times. Everybody has opinions. Here are mine:

Handling - Don't forget tires. Everything starts and ends with them.

Stance - how low? NM are a popular choice for guys that want to remain on struts (love my Konis). My TSW looks about 1/4-1/2" higher stance than the NM. Lower than that, look at Coils.

Power - Tune

Attitude - exhaust

My newest mod may be my favorite - JCW suede steering wheel. Its only been a week, but the first time that I grab it when I get in i smile.

Its easy to spend another $2-3k on mods. Take your time and figure out your priorities and budget.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Dealers legally can not void your warranty. They can try and blame the mod for causing something to fail, but they legally have to prove it did.

well that's true but not as clearly explained as it might be.

Example: I changed my brake pads as soon as I got my 07-S, to a lower dust pad.

Is my warranty 'void'?

well as it applies to anything other than the brakes - NO. The warranty for everything other than my brakes is 100% in effect.

So what about my brakes?

Well if my brake pads fail prematurely I think we can agree that it is NOT an issue for MINI. I replaced the parts and the non-MINI part is NOT covered. So, that part of the warranty IS void.

Now suppose I have failure of a brake caliber .... the brake starts grabbing and the solution is replace the caliber. Might the dealer say this is a result of the aftermarket pads and not honor the warranty? Yes it has happened.

but they legally have to prove it did

But the default condition is not "dealer pays" .... default condition is "we disagree" ... which leads where?

Yep ... in court .... you gonna fight 'em?

So remember that the 'part' of the warranty that covers the parts you replaced MAY come into question and some dealers are more liberal than others on this point.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Phynix
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for all the feedback! I'm not looking to lower the car so I think I'll skip the coilovers. I think I'll go Helix FMIC, DoS or JCW CAI, 19mm RSB by ??, maybe a beefier/better clutch (by ??) than OEM since I hear those go out relatively early, an oil catch can, lower engine mount, exhaust by either Borla, Invidia, or ??, then tune by ??. I would think that having everything (or nearly so) in place before the tune would maximize the tune would it not? Of course I could be totally off since I'm working on my car savvyness in which case please feel free to correct me. Have I missed anything? Fill in the ??s with your choices/experiences if you feel so inclined. Thanks again! I'm really having fun learning about cars and their internals. I've never had an interest until now.