North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain DDM vs Alta intake -- sound? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/245546-ddm-vs-alta-intake-sound.html)

Bugs 02-12-2013 05:51 PM

DDM vs Alta intake -- sound?

any difference in sound between the two?

I know the alta is normally the loudest but how (if any) louder is it then the DDM? anyone have first hand expirience with both?

Assuming both being used with a silicone hose.

Da_Ghost 02-12-2013 06:37 PM

Pretty sure the Alta is a bit louder as it's open on top, while the DDM is a closed box open on the ''firewall'' side. I like the sound of my DDM, can't really talk from experience about the Alta tho :)

blue2turbo 02-12-2013 06:56 PM

I had an alta with box top and silicone hose and it was a bit louder then my DDM. I switched to DDM because it fits better, overall looks better (in my opinion), and with the Alta box top I didn't like the idea of not having the ECU cover on. So I switched and couldn't be happier. I liked it so much I sold my Alta Intercooler Diverter to get a DDM to match as well. Very happy customer.

WayMotorWorks 02-12-2013 06:56 PM

If you ran the DDM without the top on it they would prob sound almost identical. But you want to run it with the top on it as that helps build pressure around the filter, and keep heat away from it helping it make more power. Go with the DDM Intake you'll be much happier, Oh and it fits better and wont rust.

CraigATL 02-16-2013 10:35 AM

Why does the DDM traditionally not come with a silicon tube where the Alta does? is a new tube necessary over OEM?

Longboard110 02-16-2013 04:00 PM

I had a ddm years ago and the welds were crap where he inlet hose attaches. They broke quickly, be careful about quality.

CrazyIvan 02-17-2013 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by blue2turbo (Post 3678337)
I had an alta with box top and silicone hose and it was a bit louder then my DDM. I switched to DDM because it fits better, overall looks better (in my opinion), and with the Alta box top I didn't like the idea of not having the ECU cover on. So I switched and couldn't be happier. I liked it so much I sold my Alta Intercooler Diverter to get a DDM to match as well. Very happy customer.

I share your thought on not running an ecu cover. Luckily Moss Mini has a low profile ecu cover for use with some intakes.

http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/ne...alQuestion=ecu

rohhee 02-25-2013 10:35 AM

I got the alta without hose and I love it. Its not too loud and gets the job done. The alta v2 fitment is near perfect for me. It also fits the stock hose very snug. Ddm is a great alternative but the alta without hose was only 159 shipped!

jown.iv 02-26-2013 03:53 AM

i have the alta with silicone hose. i have no complaints about it except for this... i wish the top would fit on it. i have a strut brace that runs across the engine bay, and as is, it presses down on the rubber lining along the edges of the intake box, leaving me to have to choose between the brace, or the top. i go with the brace because it makes more of a difference in drivability, but itd be nice to have that little extra bit of cooler pressure in the box at the same time. im not sure if this is the same with the ddm.

6000pounds 02-26-2013 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Longboard110 (Post 3680641)
I had a ddm years ago and the welds were crap where he inlet hose attaches. They broke quickly, be careful about quality.

What welds are you talking about?

Attachment 159679

Bugs 02-26-2013 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by jown.iv (Post 3686827)
i have the alta with silicone hose. i have no complaints about it except for this... i wish the top would fit on it. i have a strut brace that runs across the engine bay, and as is, it presses down on the rubber lining along the edges of the intake box, leaving me to have to choose between the brace, or the top. i go with the brace because it makes more of a difference in drivability, but itd be nice to have that little extra bit of cooler pressure in the box at the same time. im not sure if this is the same with the ddm.

I have the DDM Intake + JCW strut bar and it all fits no problem. No touching, etc.

6000pounds 02-26-2013 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bugs (Post 3686901)
I have the DDM Intake + JCW strut bar and it all fits no problem. No touching, etc.

If I were you I would wait and buy an AEM cold air if you are going to spend money on a new intake. The DDM intake is fine I don't know why you would pay money to switch to the Alta intake. IMO these small cold air systems for MINI's are way overpriced anyways. No point in buying these parts twice when they all almost do virtually the same thing.

Longboard110 03-03-2013 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by 6000pounds (Post 3686900)

R53 version

javelina1 03-03-2013 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by rohhee (Post 3686356)
I got the alta without hose and I love it. Its not too loud and gets the job done. The alta v2 fitment is near perfect for me. It also fits the stock hose very snug. Ddm is a great alternative but the alta without hose was only 159 shipped!

I've got the Alta V2, w/o the hose as well. I would estimate it's about 3x/4x louder than stock, and you only hear it during acceleration.

I'm happy with the CAI's. At first, I was worried about all these stories of how loud they are, and the dreaded "whistle". With the stock hose, I don't hear any whistle whatsoever....