Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Tuner/Dyno in NE Ohio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM
tmscaf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner/Dyno in NE Ohio?

Anyone know of a good tuner/dyno is the NE Ohio area? Looking to get my car rounded off after some mods I will be doing Thursday.

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 AM
ThickFREAKness216
2nd Gear
I'm not sure where exactly you are located but I've heard good things about Koala Motorsports in Newbury(near Chardon). I'm not sure if they have a dyno but I know a few BMW people who have had them do some work done their. Personally I've only ever bought parts from them.

I'd love to find a good local shop to work on my mini as well.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 AM
tmscaf
1st Gear
I'm in Ashtabula, so roughly 45 minutes from Chardon. I actually do some work over in that area.

I'm new to Mini's so when it comes to groups and what not, I haven't found one yet =p But being new, that's expected.

I know there are some Minis that meet in Kirtland/Mentor for some autocross, at the Lakeland Community College. Heh, that's where I had my first ride along in a Mini.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 AM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by tmscaf
I'm in Ashtabula, so roughly 45 minutes from Chardon. I actually do some work over in that area.

I'm new to Mini's so when it comes to groups and what not, I haven't found one yet =p But being new, that's expected.

I know there are some Minis that meet in Kirtland/Mentor for some autocross, at the Lakeland Community College. Heh, that's where I had my first ride along in a Mini.
Dang, that's about 5 minutes from where I live now. Unfortunately I'm moving out of state Sunday after purchasing my first Mini last Friday.

As far as dynos go, I used Big Shot Dyno down near Stow, their price was great and the guys were real friendly. You'd have to bring a tuner with you, they specialize in domestics. Not much available dyno-wise in NE Ohio. Always disappointed me as there's such a large population here.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 AM
tmscaf
1st Gear
Haha, doesn't that figure?

Last night I put on the Alta 15% pulley, some new plugs, and a coil. Looking to get things tuned up now. Looks like it's going to be a drive to get that done :/ Not that I'm complaining, as my toy is now a little faster.... =p

Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 AM
ThickFREAKness216
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tmscaf

I'm new to the mini as well and would love an update if you get a tune as I will be looking to do this as well. Maybe you could get one of the guys from Koala to go with you to Stow?

I never knew Minis met at LCC. I go to school there and live in Chardon. I've only ever seen corvettes and motorcycles there on the weekend. Does the group that meets there have a site?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM
tmscaf
1st Gear
Actually, correction to my previous post, I installed a KAVS pulley, not the Alta one....

Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be completely honest, I wouldn't spend the money on a tune with just a pulley (on the app can't see if you have a sig stating more mods ). I'd wait for a tune until more power adders have made their way onto your car (lets be honest it'll never be done ). I'm running an Alta "CAI" Invidia cat-back and WMW 15% pulley (and supporting mods: plugs n such). I've got an ATI 2% crank pulley thats going to go on this weekend, and next up when the funds free up will be injectors..THEN I'm going to finally tune. At the moment I don't run too lean. My short term fuel trim (indicated by an ultra gauge) really isn't very high most of the time. I know a tune will free up many more ponies, but with each new power adder you'll need to retune. Thats why I'm holding out. Just my opinion. I'm in SW Ohio btw

Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 PM
tmscaf
1st Gear
I figure I still have a couple mods before the tune. I want to upgrade the exhaust as well as the injectors. Then I figure I'll be ready for the tune. I think.... lol

Old 12-01-2012, 03:13 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
I heard from a fellow NAMer recently that injextors arent neccessary without a head/cam. Guess a dyno day is coming sooner than I thought

Old 12-01-2012, 05:23 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
As far as "too tune" or "not too tune" a lot of that descision should be placed on "how far you're wanting to go" and " how long of a time frame you expect to do the mod's in", even a Stock vehicle can benefit from a tune, so if you think it's going to be a while between changes, you might as well get the most out of what you've done for that period of time.
On the other hand if you're planning on doing things fairly quick, short of injectors latger than the 380's, the ecu will adapt "well enough" for you to drive the car until you're done. (even with a BVH install, just use some common sense & don't go pounding on it all the time.)

As far as injectors, the 330's will "work" with most mods, but again you have to be cautious with your WOT pulls, and at the very least don't have your rev. limit raised. But you really should do them with most mods equal to or more than a 15% pulley, don't forget the factory recomendation for the 380's is the JCW package, which is a "very mildly" modified head, slightly more open exhaust & 13% pulley.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
So I'm still thinking 400s (since theyre cheaper than jcw 380s) and a tune at the same time after that post for my car, that is. I agree with the "time frame" noted above. This guy likes to do mods as soon as he has money, and I'm just about done with all I can do without throwing a head/cam at my car, which I don't plan on doing (for a LONG time at least). Would adding a header after a tune cause any issues without an immediate re-tune?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Touch base with Chad at Detroit Tuned. It's an easy drive across the top of the state and up to his place in Clinton Twp, MI.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by submitaweasel
So I'm still thinking 400s (since theyre cheaper than jcw 380s) and a tune at the same time after that post for my car, that is. I agree with the "time frame" noted above. This guy likes to do mods as soon as he has money, and I'm just about done with all I can do without throwing a head/cam at my car, which I don't plan on doing (for a LONG time at least). Would adding a header after a tune cause any issues without an immediate re-tune?
Yes, a header can have an effect, usually the more open exhaust will cause the car to run leaner, it wouldn't be exact, but if you let your tuner know that you're planning on adding the header, he may be able to tune your car on the rich side so that when you do the header, it won't be so far off, but....you should at least then find a dyno that you can get a pull with an AFR reading to make sure you're still within safe limits.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
SpeedBuggy
Neutral
I am currently having my first work done on our 2005 r53 MCS at Koala. Getting the proverbial Valve Body replaced and some other Software updates and maintenance done. They only work on BMW and MINI products. Prices seem reasonable especially compared to the dealer. Not sure about a dyno, give Brett a call:

Koala Motorsport Inc
9988 Kinsman Rd
Novelty OH 44072
(440) 564 7574