Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Reset ECU & Best Tuning Options (Flash ECU, RMW, ALTA Port, Other Options)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reset ECU & Best Tuning Options (Flash ECU, RMW, ALTA Port, Other Options)

So I have been searching the forum for awhile these past couple of days and all I found on how to reset the ECU of a Cooper S, was just for the R53(s). NO where was the ability to reset an R56, (unless completely disconnecting the battery actually resets the ECU (doubtful) or if it just resets the dash cluster. Then others said that there's no need to reset the ECU for any particular reason because the ECU relearns new parts. However in my case, the MINI Dealer said that they left my car in Default mode, which they said acts like a stock map, but doesn't quite act as a stock map, because I had parts that needed to be replaced. It just implemented to make you run normal until you get the new parts so that they can then remap when they install the new parts. But I didn't go back to the Dealer to get things install because I did it myself, because they didn't want to cover it under warranty.

Anyway, back to the thread: does anyone know how to reset the ECU and what is the best available options for tuning and R56- ECU Flash with a Laptop Program, RMW (but Jan is in Cali and doesn't always respond, and talking to him on the phone seems a little sketch), Alta Access Port, or are their other options out there?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 AM
UKM1NI
2nd Gear
I have been in contact with NM engineering. It is not on their website yet buy they have an ECU flash for $500

Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM
UKM1NI
2nd Gear
It also has a lifetime gaurantee with free ECU remaps for future changes you might make

Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Resetting the DME (engine management module) "adaptations" can be done through BMW specific software (INPA, DIS, or ISTA).

Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Resetting the ECU won't do any good for you unless you have replaced a faulty sensor, and even then the car will figure it out soon enough.

RMW *I am biased, travels to different parts of the country to tune a group of cars. I am setting one up for CT since I want mine tuned for the new ECU. He has gone to Helix in PA in the past I think, but if you can get enough folks to sign up, he will come right to MD and tune all the cars you can set up.

Call a dyno shop to get an idea of the schedule, call RMW and get preliminary scheduling dates set up, and set up a tune event. Having someone personally tune your specific car with your exact setup will always be best. Having someone who has done literally hundreds of minis is also a big plus.

Canned tunes will give you power, but either they are a bit conservative, so you don't damage anything (this is good) or they push things too far and risk damage (this is bad) or they just happen to be perfect for your car (this is unlikely). They will give you more power than stock though except you can't push things right to the edge where you are making the most power and staying in the perfectly safe range for your machine.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
I'm using the AP and am very happy with it. Biggest problem in getting maps from someone else is not being able to do your own mapping - you're locked in to their maps. Most mappers lock them with software so nobody else can change them. The capability to write your own maps with the AP is about $2K and there's probably a nasty learning curve involved. Cost prohibitive unless you're going to tune for others with an AP.

There is a company called Vipec that has a replacement ECU. It might be programmable by the end user. You might check their web site for info and distributors. It's probably pretty pricey too. I haven't checked into it because it came out after buying my AP.

Considering the price and service from Alta mappers, they're hard to beat - canned or custom.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
Resetting the ECU won't do any good for you unless you have replaced a faulty sensor, and even then the car will figure it out soon enough.

RMW *I am biased, travels to different parts of the country to tune a group of cars. I am setting one up for CT since I want mine tuned for the new ECU. He has gone to Helix in PA in the past I think, but if you can get enough folks to sign up, he will come right to MD and tune all the cars you can set up.

Call a dyno shop to get an idea of the schedule, call RMW and get preliminary scheduling dates set up, and set up a tune event. Having someone personally tune your specific car with your exact setup will always be best. Having someone who has done literally hundreds of minis is also a big plus.

Canned tunes will give you power, but either they are a bit conservative, so you don't damage anything (this is good) or they push things too far and risk damage (this is bad) or they just happen to be perfect for your car (this is unlikely). They will give you more power than stock though except you can't push things right to the edge where you are making the most power and staying in the perfectly safe range for your machine.
I have replaced a faulty sensor, that would be the o2 Sensor. Then I did the spark plugs because I was misfiring, and found out the one of the plugs ceramic was cracked. So far as is swell. And I am glad to be back to normal, that is if I can get rid of this stupid Default Mode. To tell the truth I really can't tell the difference.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
I like the fact that you can take out the OEM ECU and replace with a Vipec ECU, I think that would solve all my problems or make more. I really just want to get rid of this stock Default Mode, S**T! Sometimes you really wonder why the Dealer comes up with something other than what you have read with a scanner. They are just looking to get ahead, and capitalize on your mistake and make you pay the price.

If I were to get any of these tunes, will it remove the default mode that the Dealership as place into affect? Or do I need to spend $1,000 big ones to get the proper tool and rest the DME?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No idea what "default mode" is...

Pretty sure Bavarian Technik can reset the ECU...its like $287, and overall its a good thing to have for diagnostic purposes.

As far as the tune...why is calling Jan on the phone "sketchy"? Although busy, he's extremely helpful, and he gets my recommendation. The ViPec is not available for the R56 yet, so don't get too excited about that.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
It felt sketchy because he just answers the phone, "Yea this Jan". Doesn't say, "Thanks for calling RevlolutionMotorWorks, how can I help you." He also sounds like he doesn't want to talk to anybody on the phone. He's very low in tone, although he was helpful and did answer my questions. Plus, the site is shaddy compared to like outmotoring.com. Now I know that he is just selling a tune and not much of else, but it just seems not to be all there if you know what I mean.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Others sell sizzle, he sells the steak.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
Others sell sizzle, he sells the steak.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM
HRM
6th Gear
What you also may not know, is that number is his personal cell phone number, not an office phone, so he may be out to lunch, working on a car, or in a line at the pharmacy. Pretty cool to have that kind of access.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
I recommend the RMW too. I have a euro spec car so I can't get the AP but the RMW is cheaper anyway. It can reset codes and Jan has probably sent me 6 different tunes. Ones for different fuel and updated tunes. All this done via email and for free. I reckon he is very good and the power gain was crazy. He also gives good advice on what to upgrade and helps trouble shoot problems to.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
maroonbug
2nd Gear
My fuel pump blew after having the RMW tune, bad luck?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
"My fuel pump blew after having the RMW tune, bad luck? "

Was it the high pressure fuel pump? Because those tend to blow on their own....mine blew a few months ago.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 AM
maroonbug
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by axleR56
"My fuel pump blew after having the RMW tune, bad luck? "

Was it the high pressure fuel pump? Because those tend to blow on their own....mine blew a few months ago.
Mine was the fuel pump located in underneath the rear seats

Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maroonbug
Mine was the fuel pump located in underneath the rear seats
LOL....you're nuts if you think a tune blew your fuel pump.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
LOL....you're nuts if you think a tune blew your fuel pump.
That is so funny. Really, you can't make things like that up.

That's like saying the guy painting your house busted your oven. What possible connection could there be?

Look, all these folks have the same issue "bad luck"?

High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

Last edited by HRM; 03-30-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
That is so funny. Really, you can't make things like that up.

That's like saying the guy painting your house busted your oven. What possible connection could there be?

Look, all these folks have the same issue "bad luck"?

High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement
He's saying it was his low pressure pump, the one in tank...which is even more rediculous.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After my bvh/cam/tune, my passenger rear trailing arm came loose, screwing my alignment up. Oh, and my basement is leaking now too. Pretty sure it's the RMW tune.....

Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Was the tune done by the tuner in person? The only way that even being on a dyno can affect a fuel pump is to basically run the car out of gas on the dyno. I know the tuner you used would make sure the tank was full prior to any dyno runs.

The tune itself could in NO WAY affect a fuel pump. The one that gave out on your car is a low pressure steady state pump, the voltage to that one stays constant no matter how much fuel you are trying to run to the engine. The only way for it to fail is running the car out of gas and heating the motor up causing it to fail, or just plain mechanical failure.

Sometimes S*** just happens.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
hbSean
2nd Gear
Stop buying Shitty gas

Old 03-30-2012, 05:51 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
RMW tuned my car, My dog ran away. Bad luck?
The website is not shady. its just not super fancy.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 PM
maroonbug
2nd Gear
Wow lots of RMW dogs pouring in here
I got my remote tune and floored it the first time out and the fuel pump went, bad luck or lousy tune I guess

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Reset ECU & Best Tuning Options (Flash ECU, RMW, ALTA Port, Other Options)